RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Gas Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/)
-   -   I FOUND THIS IN THE TRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/8556896-i-found-trash.html)

LEROY DOZOIS 03-08-2009 05:44 PM

I FOUND THIS IN THE TRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LUCK MUST BE ON MY SIDE THIS YEAR BECASUE THIS WAS IN THE TRASH ON THE NEXT STREET

CARRIES THIS ON MY 1982 HD SPORTY BOBBER/CHOPPER

LOOKED LIKE HARDWARE WAS HOOKED UP TO IT BUT NO MOTOR UNLESS THEY MAKE SUCTION CUP MOTORMOUNTS IM MAKING DINNER NOW BUT ILL BE BACK ON IN A BIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH AND ITS 30 IN LONG.............................SHOULD HOLD A WEEDEATER MOTOR

:eek:[&o][X(][:-][>:][:o]:([:'(][8D];):):D

Spetz 03-08-2009 06:32 PM

RE: I FOUND THIS IN THE TRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics or ban!

dwr9 03-08-2009 06:49 PM

30 inches is very small for a gas boat. Doug

sheograth 03-08-2009 07:02 PM

I've seen some 30" crackerboxes.

In any case, any free boat is a good boat - pics would be nice though [&:]

LEROY DOZOIS 03-08-2009 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[>:]WOW SRRY GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DIDNT CLICK OK ON THE UPLOADS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IVE SEEN SOME 30 IN GAS BOATS AND NOW I THING I CAN GET AWAY WITH A SMALLER 20CC MOTOR AND STILL GET UP TO THE 45-60 MPH

I ACTUALLY LIKE THE SIZE................AND THE HOUSE I GOT IT FROM WAS EMPTY.......LIKE THEY JUST LEFT

IM REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY EXCITED ABOUT THIS PROJECT NOW:)[8D];)[:-][X(]:eek:

Dana W 03-08-2009 07:50 PM

Looks pretty heavy for it's size .

lildude2599 03-08-2009 09:04 PM

I would run a nitro motor in it because of its size. I think it is to small for a gas motor. I have a boat with a nitro and i love it runs fast. Most gas boats I've seen start about 40 inches in length. Not to say it will not work but just a heads up befor you spend alot of money on a second hand boat. The only problem i would see with such a small boat with a gas motor is to much power for that hull.

slider46 03-08-2009 09:17 PM

I think I would go electric with a boat that small.... It could be a wild thing e-powered.......

LEROY DOZOIS 03-08-2009 09:30 PM

WELL I GOT SOME IDEAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IM GOING TO OPEN UP THE TOP HALF ABOUT 2 INCHES AND PUT A SMALLER WEEDEATER IN IT....... I HAVE EXPERENCE WITH HAVING TOOOOOOOOOO MUCH POWER IN SOMETHING AND I DEFINATLY WONT GUNN IT IN WAKES!!!!!!!!!!

I THINK I CAN MAKE IT WORK........ I ALWAYS WANTED A WEEDEATER BOAT AND I BASICALLY HAVE TO USE WHAT I GOT BEING MY DAD GOT LAYD OFF AND HES WORKING PART TIME RIGHT NOW........

AS I TELL MY SHOP TEACHER WHE I TEL HIM MY IDEAS I GUYS..." YOU GOTA HAVE FAITH IN ME "

NOT MANY KIDS MY AGE COME UP WITH IDEAS LIKE I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND AS MENTIONED EARLIER IT WILL HAVE PLENTY OF POWER WHEN DONE !!!!!!!!!!!

RKS1949 03-08-2009 09:42 PM

Looks like it was supposed to be setup for electric. (I noticed the Novak sticker):D! It also apperas as it had trim tabs,and turn fin holes already drilled,but no stuffing tube. Good luck!:) Ron

lildude2599 03-08-2009 09:43 PM

If you going to put a weedeater motor in it go with a homelite. They have motor mounts and the good stuff to make it easy to install. Someone may have the link for the homelite mods and mounts. Or if you are good you can make them. Just take time to mesure twice cut once. Here is a link that may help. Gots lots of info.

http://www.americanrcboats.com/howto.htm

Ron Olson 03-08-2009 11:21 PM

Seriously, keep a weedie out of it. It will be one, heavy and would probably sink and if it didn't it would really be top-heavy. A boat that small is made for either electric or a .21 nitro engine and honestly don't care what you shop teacher says. Ask him when was the last time that he dropped a blown Hemi in a Big Wheel. There is such a thing as too much.

jacob711 03-08-2009 11:22 PM

a weedeater type engine is way to big and bulky to fit in that hull, it'd either sink or roll over as soon as you touch the throttle, i think youd be best off with a nitro or if you insist with gas an old g23 zenoah, there small and light and pretty cheap

Dreamin Hemi 03-09-2009 04:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Seriously, keep a weedie out of it. It will be one, heavy and would probably sink and if it didn't it would really be top-heavy. A boat that small is made for either electric or a .21 nitro engine and honestly don't care what you shop teacher says. Ask him when was the last time that he dropped a blown Hemi in a Big Wheel. There is such a thing as too much.
Lol, sorry Ron, coulden't resist.....:D

[link=http://hackedgadgets.com/2006/09/27/hemi-powered-trike/]http://hackedgadgets.com/2006/09/27/hemi-powered-trike/[/link]

martno1fan 03-09-2009 06:40 AM

Haha i can just see Ron riding that round town :D.Serriously though a weedy in that tiny boat would sink it [sm=drowning.gif]

lildude2599 03-09-2009 08:35 AM

He will be best to go with electric. It is a lot less work when you want to go run. Some electric's are the fastest boats just look at youtube there are rc boats going 100+ mph. You dont get any better than that with electric you can run all day there is no burnt glowplugs no fuel to worry about. And look here at how many post about adjusting carbs. That is most people's nightmare. You can just plug and go. Here is a few you can watch there electric.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR-6d...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U32pikSS-yc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDsBK...eature=related

martno1fan 03-09-2009 09:12 AM

Run all day with electric? you would need a truck load of batterys to run all day,with gas a gallon of fuel will last you a weekend.
Mart

jacob711 03-09-2009 10:00 AM

i have both electric and gas boats and id have to say i much prefer gas, electrics are just a pita, it takes 1hr to charge batteries and you only get 10mins run time out of the damn thing

if you really feel brave you could try enlarge that hull but you'd be way netter off just trying to get a gas hull in the first place

lildude2599 03-09-2009 01:33 PM

Yea i said run all day. If you have enough of them. Not saying there better but a lot easier to work with being this is a young man. I guess he don't have money for the nitro fuel being it is costly. Not only life time on motor. I mean look at the size of this boat everyone is telling him not to go with gas. But it is his boat. So Leroy do what you want with the boat but think of the size of the boat. Power to weight ratio will be way off. If some how you do get this to fit it will more than likely it will flip over in a turn. Because it is not that wide to balance the gas motor.

LEROY DOZOIS 03-09-2009 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
NONE OF YOU THINK THIS WILL FIT A GAS MOTOR???????? LOOKING AT THE PICS I POSTED THIS DOES LOOK SMALL BUT I THINK IT WILL FIT.......... IF I DONT USE GAS IM GOING TO USE BRUSHLESS WITH THE LIPO BATTERIES..... GOTA FIGURE OUT THE STUPID RATIOS OF POWER TO THOSE THOUGH........

AND AS FAR AS IT BEING EASIER TO USE I RACED GOKARTS FOR 3 YEARS AND OWN A 1982 HD BOBBER/CHOPPER SPORTY I WORK ON 98% OF THE TIME SO I KNOW HOW TO MAKE CARB ADJUSTMENTS ( OR I CAN LEARN EASILY, BEING ITS A 2 STROKE )

I WANTED A GAS BOAT SO I CAN RUN ALL WEEKEND ON A GALLON OF PRE MIX FUEL,,,,,3-4 BUCKS.........

LEROY DOZOIS 03-09-2009 07:56 PM

THE ONLY THING MY SHOP TEACHER SAID WAS HED LET ME USE THE SHOP TO PUT THE STRINGER IN IT....... MABY I SAID THAT DIFFERENTLY BUT THIS IS ALL MY IDEA.......

WELL UNLESS ITS POSSIBLE TO PUT 2STROKE GAS IN A NITRO MOTOR I GUESS IM USING BRUSHLESS NOW:(

LEROY DOZOIS 03-09-2009 08:11 PM

THE ONLY THING MY SHOP TEACHER SAID WAS HED LET ME USE THE SHOP TO PUT THE STRINGER IN IT....... MABY I SAID THAT DIFFERENTLY BUT THIS IS ALL MY IDEA.......

WELL UNLESS ITS POSSIBLE TO PUT 2STROKE GAS IN A NITRO MOTOR I GUESS IM USING BRUSHLESS NOW:(

dwr9 03-09-2009 10:48 PM

A gas motor would look pretty big in there, but I don't know that size is the main problem. The motor would be awful heavy for a boat that size. Also it would be very tall and probably quite top heavy, so it may not handle very well. Doug

Justaddwata 03-10-2009 12:08 AM

Leroy - I am scratching my head a little reading this thread. You started out wanting to build an outrigger for a gas motor. Then because of a dumpster find you have changed direction some and are looking to make something from your new found hull. Thing is that it looks like you are putting the cart before the horse (or the hull before the motor in this case). That boat is not a real "find" if you know what I mean. Keep it on the shelf but dont let is sway your direction.

You told us you are on a tight budget so I think - OK tight budget. But now your talking brushless power and lipo batteries. Think if you stopped for a minute and did some math you would find you could buy (or build) a very nice gas motor appropriate hull and use the motor you have and finish the boat for the money you may need to sink into a brushless motor, Batteries, Charger, and ESC. If there is one thing I know about electrics it is that speed costs $$$.

Further to this - you were saying that you dont need to go fast - 30mph or so. Why the need for brushless??

Leroy - I can appreciate your enthusiasm. I built my first gas boat (a hydro) on my own with no plans when I was 13 and did the hardware as part of a metal shop project. Money was tight for me too. I got my motor as a 13th birthday present (all I got). That was 25 odd years ago. I still have a picture of that boat in front of me as I type (I would share it but may scare you off :))
I can see you starting to loose direction. If I were you (and I have been there) I would reconsider building the boat yourself and making hardware and power to suit.

I have a picture site and have posted a lot of pictures I got from a friend in Germany of some builds there. They are high end boats but it may give you some more ideas for how to make this boat work. http://imageevent.com/justaddwata/mo...ipsfromgermany

Please know that there are plenty of guys here itching to help you any way we can. Keep us in the loop and make sure you have fun - thats what this hobby is all about ;)

OLD_SLOW and in the WAY 03-10-2009 06:59 AM

find a new dumpster... and return it... was thrown away for a reason