RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Gas Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/)
-   -   Double Rudder WARNING! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/8748244-double-rudder-warning.html)

monsterbrad 05-07-2009 09:36 AM

Double Rudder WARNING!

All you guys running Enforcer double rudders make sure you loc tite those screws cause I had one come loose yesterday at full throttle.
Nothing like a 40mph right u-turn.
I was lucky it didn't flip.

Doubledog 05-07-2009 02:13 PM

RE: Double Rudder WARNING!

You don't Loctite? :D Lucky you didn't flip? Just be quick with the trigger and all is good.[8D]

planebasher 05-07-2009 05:26 PM

Had that happen with the left rudder the first time I ran the Magnum; it was steering OK with just one; I thought I had snagged a twig, but t he linkage was holding it on. Did manage to break a blade off of the prop though.

Loctite was on but apparently not enough.

monsterbrad 05-07-2009 05:36 PM

Well I put the loctite to it today and tightened the heck out of it.
This is the first I have seen this happen but then again I have not been running these boats for as long as I have been messing with car's and trucks.
It was pretty cool to do a u-turn on flat water then only be able to go in circles.
Good thing I had the Villian with me to give a little push.

twindaddy66 05-07-2009 06:30 PM

That brings up a question...just how tight should the rudder bolts be and still have the break-away function? I'm scared if they are too tight, the rudder will not "break" the sear screw, and end up loosing the rudder, or worse....presently, I am just snugging them and using lots of Loktite, and of course, lock washers and lock nuts....

T-Daddy

monsterbrad 05-07-2009 09:32 PM

Well mine were pretty tight when the right one broke lose.
They told me today at WHH that they tighten them pretty tight with Loctite.
I have not had any issues with this since starting to run the boat last season.
I did how ever hit a ancor line last summer at the beach and it ripped the rudder back without messing up the transom.
I would imagine that if it is to tight then it will just rip up the back of the boat.
Or for that matter destroy the transom all together.
Good point I will call Tony tomorrow and see what he says.

pyro1 05-08-2009 06:23 AM

Tony Recommends the removable blue loctite, not RED!

monsterbrad 05-08-2009 08:32 AM

Ok thats whats on mine.
I will leave it.
This is kinda tricky cause you want them to break away but at the same time be tight enough to stay down under extreme loads.
Water is a crazy thing at speed.

Doubledog 05-09-2009 12:44 PM

Just currious since I'm not a car guy - ; Car guys don't loctite or is this just a select case? I do almost everything from the heli's to planes to boats to (even my glasses) :D Just glad it worked out for you & the Villan saved the day.

monsterbrad 05-09-2009 02:00 PM

I use it on almost any application where you don't want things to come lose.
I talked to the guys a WHH and they said to put it on everything that is metal to metal.
The BLUE removable kind!