RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Gas Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/)
-   -   Expresscraft GTX build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/9353852-expresscraft-gtx-build.html)

goodson 12-23-2009 09:56 AM

Expresscraft GTX build

I need to start a build thread to contain my questions building this boat. Maybe it can be of some use to anyone building the same or similar boat one day.

This build will be a (somewhat) slow one. I'm in no rush to get it in the water, until it thaws at least. Also, this is my first build from a bare, undrilled hull. I hate making mistakes, so i'm extra cautious in my planning. I'd encourage any hints or advice through my build. Don't be offended if i don't use it, however! Some pictures have already been posted in other threads, and i will not post all of the pics that i take during the thread, so if anyone needs to see something in detail that i don't post, ask.

Here come the pics:

goodson 12-23-2009 10:13 AM

RE: Expresscraft GTX build

my first purchase was a speedmaster adjustable stinger and some WHH scale trim tabs. i was concerned with how short the stinger is, so i asked my LHS where i purchased it, and speedmaster themselves. they both told me "thats the way it is". not satisfied with that answer, i emailed tony at WHH. he, of course, suggested his own SPDIII system after i told him how i planned to use my boat. so far, i'm glad he did. i returned the speedmaster and picked up the SPDIII.

mistycreekboats 12-23-2009 12:05 PM

Very nice boat and looks like some nice parts ... have fun and take your time..

What are you using for water pickups? Couple nice flush mounts would keep it clean looking and no water lines on outside of hull.. Decided on engine yet.

Randy

goodson 12-23-2009 04:01 PM

still deciding on water pick-ups. thats my next thing to build into the hull. cheezwhiz has the same rudders that were modified to be pick-ups. that would be ideal. if i don't do that, flush mount pick-ups will be the way to go. i don't want to tack anything more onto the transom. by the way, does anyone know where to get these, other than MHZ?

the motor is going to be somewhat tame for right now. i'm plucking my WHH zenoah/clutch from my rio51 learning project. i'll probably get the M5 head and be done with it until i pony up for inlines. its just a play toy and doesn't need to go 60mph. ;)

cheesewizz69 12-23-2009 04:58 PM

If you are talking about the water pickups I see them all the time on ebay. Search for "water pickup" under toys and hobbies.

Hint 250542437689 or 300347717034:D

goodson 12-23-2009 05:21 PM

thanks for that. i try to avoid Ebay for these types of things. i'd rather my money go to a producer state-side.

Ultimate48 12-23-2009 11:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice build, you are going to like the way the hull handles rough water

Expresscraft has through hull water pickups I used on my GTX and they worked great !

keep us posted more pic's . Any plans for the paint scheme ?

pic of water pickups on my GTX

Steve

mistycreekboats 12-24-2009 12:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice work ...we'll be doing a GTX over the winter so interested to see your choice in hardware. Should be easy to find flush mounts ... I have some dual flush mount pickups if you need them

I run dual x 2 because of twin engines (if u plan on twin in future)

I think theycost meabout 10 or 12 each if u need them

Keep us posted

Randy

goodson 12-24-2009 11:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Ultimate48

Nice build, you are going to like the way the hull handles rough water

Expresscraft has through hull water pickups I used on my GTX and they worked great !

keep us posted more pic's . Any plans for the paint scheme ?

pic of water pickups on my GTX

Steve

rough water is exactly why i picked up this hull. i often run in water with at least a 6" chop.

i didn't even think of looking to expresscraft for hardware. thanks for the tip! if i don't grab the pick-ups from mistycreek, that'll be where they come from.

as for paint, i think i have a pretty good idea. bacardi rum seems to be a popular paint scheme on a lot of boats, but i like my rum spiced...

Ultimate48 12-25-2009 12:05 PM

6" chop is not much, I had my GTX out in 8 to 10" chop and got my best top speed only wish I had vid or pic's from that day.

Bacardi paint is very cool.I don't think anyone has done that scheme on a GTX not that I know of .

You have a PM

Happy Holidays !

Steve

sticktickler 12-25-2009 02:19 PM

These guys can cut the Bacardi graphics in clean vinyl all you need to do is paint the hull colors add the decals and clear over it looks so sweet! They can cut graphics for any boat e-mail river city graphics at [email protected] they sure did a great job on my boat's graphics.

mistycreekboats 12-25-2009 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the pickups

Randy

goodson 12-25-2009 08:03 PM

not sure you guys caught that. i like my rum spiced. ;) i already know a local guy who does some amazing stuff with grafics and even hand painted pinstripe work, so i'm set there.

hint: my boat will have a little captain in it.

scott09 12-27-2009 08:33 PM

Interested in the same build you are doing.
How far off-center to the right did you mount stinger?

lewisdf4 12-27-2009 11:39 PM

ORIGINAL: scott09

Hey mate, I asked the same question in my Apache build and got the unanimous response of 6mm (1/4") to the right, for all mono's if that helps.
Cheers, Chris

scott09 12-28-2009 12:19 AM

Thanks mate, yes I keep reading the same about the offset.
Really just curious though...
The reason for offset is to run true (straight) without having to trim out rudder(s) so much.
Drilling transom isa permanent thing seems it might be more fun to experiment with angled solutions.
For instance, using washers to dial in the best angle...and then moving to an angled wedge once set? Also wonder if the engine should be angle-mounted in a similar way to keep the drive cable asstraight as possible?

Hehe, or toss in counter rotating props instead (off one engine)...or do away with rudders with outdrives :)

goodson 12-28-2009 09:05 AM

ORIGINAL: scott09

i actually only offset mine half of the normal recommended (1/8"). call me crazy, but i want to experiment with adjusting the yaw angle of the drive, if i need to. besides, i have the dual rudders and they should help eliminate the torque steer.

mistycreekboats 12-28-2009 03:01 PM

Hi
Ihad no reply on the flush mounts so I assumed you are going with the Expresscraft ones. Ihave several people email me asking for these - I only had4 sets and 1 set we are keeping for our GTX build. Ihave sold the other3 setsover the weekend so i no longer have any available. Thanks for the interest sorry they were not what you were looking for.

Very nice RC Boatlove the work so far..

Regards,

Randy

goodson 12-28-2009 05:39 PM

I was going to let you know after I checked my lhs. It's ok. I just had them order them in for me anyway. I do appreciate
your offer though.

bermy100plus 12-29-2009 11:50 AM

Just a little heads up...but the offset is not really necessary when it comes to the larger offshore style monos,but is very important for the smaller(50" and under) heat racing monos due to their shallow v bottoms! I have rigged many monos large and small and only offset the drives on the smaller one's. I had two GTX's and both have the stinger directly in the center with no steering problems,just need to have a strong steering servo. The one i sold to my friend has a QD35(WHH hardware) and my personal one has a QD25ht(Top Secret hardware).

lewisdf4 12-29-2009 03:35 PM

ORIGINAL: bermy100plus

Just a little heads up...but the offset is not really necessary when it comes to the larger offshore style monos,but is very important for the smaller(50'' and under) heat racing monos due to their shallow v bottoms! I have rigged many monos large and small and only offset the drives on the smaller one's. I had two GTX's and both have the stinger directly in the center with no steering problems,just need to have a strong steering servo. The one i sold to my friend has a QD35(WHH hardware) and my personal one has a QD25ht(Top Secret hardware).
Interesting, I asked this question in my apache build (56" with RCMK evo, 24kg on steering servo single rudder) and was told pretty much the only option was to offset the drive? I ended up doing it but would have much prefered to mount it on the center line. I was also of the opinion that a 56" deep vee mono would not have suffered a massive ammount with the stinger mounted in the center, but followed the advice anyway, so I'll see how it goes. Thanks mate,
Cheers, Chris

bermy100plus 12-29-2009 06:52 PM

ORIGINAL: lewisdf4

ORIGINAL: bermy100plus

Just a little heads up...but the offset is not really necessary when it comes to the larger offshore style monos,but is very important for the smaller(50'' and under) heat racing monos due to their shallow v bottoms! I have rigged many monos large and small and only offset the drives on the smaller one's. I had two GTX's and both have the stinger directly in the center with no steering problems,just need to have a strong steering servo. The one i sold to my friend has a QD35(WHH hardware) and my personal one has a QD25ht(Top Secret hardware).
Interesting, I asked this question in my apache build (56'' with RCMK evo, 24kg on steering servo single rudder) and was told pretty much the only option was to offset the drive? I ended up doing it but would have much prefered to mount it on the center line. I was also of the opinion that a 56'' deep vee mono would not have suffered a massive ammount with the stinger mounted in the center, but followed the advice anyway, so I'll see how it goes. Thanks mate,
Cheers, Chris

I mean...you can offset it,it would'nt hurt any! But i have'nt really noticed a differance with the bigger hulls so i just put them in the center and make sure i use a strong steering servo. The two of the 56" apache's that i have built had Mathe 35cc and i have had no steering problems.

01VIPER27 12-30-2009 12:18 AM

I was considering on buying that aluminum block with the built in Bernouli Auto Bailer with all the fittings but it is too small for my liking and need and so - off shopping I went and here is what came up with.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_92...tm.htm#9370758

The only problem I have now is deciding which hull I buy...

goodson 01-03-2010 07:35 PM

ORIGINAL: 01VIPER27

I was considering on buying that aluminum block with the built in Bernouli Auto Bailer with all the fittings but it is too small for my liking and need and so - off shopping I went and here is what came up with.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_92...tm.htm#9370758

The only problem I have now is deciding which hull I buy...
of course my vote is for the GTX.

Just a small update for now. I ordered in a Dr Bucks radio box today. I'm anxious for my waterpickups to come in so I can fit them to the hull. Any tips for setting up the radio box? It wil be a single hi torque servo for steering and another pushing the turnbuckle for the throttle, no cables.
I also ordered magnetic hatch locks. No experience with them so I'll see how they work.

illiniboater 01-03-2010 08:51 PM

Be carefull when you tighten down on the lid screws, those lids are real easy to crack. Also, you my want to epoxy in the nuts for the lid screws on the underside of the box lip. I didn't do that originally and it made it a pain everytime I took the lid off.