RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Gas Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/)
-   -   Midwest Missile Build - Western Australia (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/9686828-midwest-missile-build-western-australia.html)

Squidhead Racing 04-25-2010 05:25 AM

Midwest Missile Build - Western Australia

1 Attachment(s)
A Few pics of the Midwest Missile I have had in the build phase for sometime now.

Now that I have a new job that is ALOT more friendly to the family (and workshop) I am finding I have time to get in the workshop and build. I am getting more enjoyment from building at the moment which suits me as I find it very relaxing.

These pics were shot just after the 2k clear was put on. The trim is automotive vinyl (Fluro Orange) that I hand cut and is underneath the clear and she is bright as heck in the sun. It is always hard to take decent pics in a workshop. I try to keep the natural look of the wood as much as possible where I can (and I despise painting these days)

Looks like Baden (6yo) son has claimed this as "his" outrigger.

Will let her cure hard over the next week and hopefully rig her up next weekend.

Johno

STEVE MARSHALL 04-25-2010 05:30 AM

RE: Midwest Missile Build - Western Australia

Looks good, what motor is going into that one, a Johnno special???

martno1fan 04-25-2010 05:37 AM

Hi Johno thats simply a beautifull thing mate,is it a kit or all your own work.Thanks for sharing im sure its going to be fast having seen a few of your others.I hope to be able to get round to building a rigger this year to show a few UK doubters these things will handle chop ,might need a few pointers lol :).Good luck with it im sure your lad will love it.
Mart

Squidhead Racing 04-25-2010 05:40 AM

Definately.......................one of the carbon fibre pipes I have stashed away attached to one of my engines, should get some decent numbers I imagine.

Should run well..................it is strong as an Ox and light as hell. Tub and Sponsons are sub 1.6kg at this point albeit still very strong. I was building a little different this time around and very concious of weight. Definately ALOT different to the conventional type riggers I seem to have built over the years.

Squidhead Racing 04-25-2010 05:49 AM

Mart, she was built from plans supplied by Richard Van Husenden (sp??). Had them stashed away for a few years now. The plans were cheap as chips............... I got them to give her a try really as I have heard nothing but good things about the Missile.

Richard goes by the name of VHPL over on Jim's if you or anyone else is chasing a set.

A house move later and finally into a new job where I have time to do the things I love (building) and the rest is history.

It is quite a fun rigger to build and I love playing with wood anyway :D:D:D ....................or should I say timber :):)

I am also keep to have a crack at building a JAE Gasser, but I am not sure if they will release the plans like the smaller JAE's and whilst a kit is cool, I like to go from full sheets and do the hard yards if that makes sense..................I am a sucker for punishment.

Finishing the wood whiplash is next on the cards...............only got the deck to go which I might try and do this week work schedule permitting.

Thanks for the compliment mate, appreciate it

Johno

martno1fan 04-25-2010 06:43 AM

Thanks for the info ;),i know what you mean about doing it yourself i enjoy cutting the parts myself with a jigsaw or on the scroll saw when i can.I allready have some firefighter plans i think ill build this one first ,would eventually like to make a glass rigger but thats more time consuming so might need to wait till next year for that one.
Mart