RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Gas Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/)
-   -   ***My first 46 Custom Gasser with PICS and VIDS*** (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/9839636-%2A%2A%2Amy-first-46-custom-gasser-pics-vids%2A%2A%2A.html)

exotica 07-01-2010 09:49 PM

***My first 46 Custom Gasser with PICS and VIDS***

...as the title states, im going to modify one of those supposedly nasty chinese formula hydro hulls which have had nothing
but the *** bagged out of them for various reasons im sure.

Now please keep in mind this is my first large scale gas RC hull and wanting to produce a lively hull that will be used for fun.

The aim in my madness and the hole starting to burn in myback pocketis to change and modify the hull, making it stronger were needed
and basically replace the engine, driveline, rear fins and wing, stuffing tube and look at modifying a few other areas.

I dont want this thread filled with negative feedback from peoples past experiences with these types of hulls please.
Helpfull, informative, experienced and educated comments, help and suggestions only please.

<div style="border-right: medium none; border-top: medium none; overflow: hidden; border-left: medium none; color: #000000; border-bottom: medium none; background-color: transparent; text-align: left; text-decoration: none">Yes its probably going to affect the back pocket, which hobby doesnt? As a first boatI think its going to suit me fine and have already started
to completely stripit down, modify it extensively, and install a Zenoah G260 PUM, changing COG,addinga power pipe, decent servos, radioetc
and a custom made brass drive line and new paint to name a few things.Yes it might not be the best or a recommended hull out there but as
my first hull im sure im going to enjoy and learn from the many challenges imgoing to face.I got a brand new hull for a good price so ive got a
brand new canvas to start with.

At the end of this im hoping for a nice looking gas hull that will run consistent 70+kph, be a lively handfullboat to drive in any direction
to race around a pond with a few mates.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ***

Here are some images of the hull stripped out and starting to prepare it for a new paint job...I have epoxied around the rear vertical wings to
make them stronger and hold them in place. The rear horizontal wing has been removed and will be replaced at a later date with something
more fit for purpose and adjustable. At this stage alsoI have installed a wire mesh plate around where the stuffing tube comes out of the bottom
of the hull and epoxied that into place using material. It has then been sanded back and filler applied over the area to reshape the bottom of the hull
and then rubbed back again to achieve the desired shape.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...8/IMG_0548.jpg
</div>
Below are two images after the first initial modifications were done on the hull and acoat of filler was sprayed and rubbed down...

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...8/IMG_0569.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...8/IMG_0570.jpg

exotica 07-02-2010 12:02 AM

RE: ***My first 46 Custom Gasser with PICS and VIDS***

...pictures posted of the work that has already been started and carried out.

Justaddwata 07-02-2010 01:17 AM

Always good to see someone biting the bullet with a gasser - Nitros and electrics just are not the same (IMO)

If I can make one observation on your thread - you have complained (a little) about the negative feedback you have read over the net on this boat. You purchased one because you like the way it looks and plan on rebuilding it. You are now setting about reinforcing the hull, replace fins and wing, replacing the motor/pipe etc, replacing the hardware, replacing the electronics, repainting the boat. In essence you are basically only going to be using the basic shape of the original boat and changing everything else in it. Based on everything you are going to be doing to this "Ready to Run" sport hydro - do you think the bad press this boat has received is a little justified?

The boat will paint up nice. I have seen video of the stock RTR boat doing some laps and it does OK (for a while). A lot of guys (count me in that list) give the boat bad press because of the amount of work (read as "disappointment") new boaters have to do (as you have said - replace everything) to keep their relatively new boat on the water. We just try to encourage someone starting out (and who is not looking to replace everything) to buy something that will give them an easier introduction to the hobby. With that said ;)

I definitely take my hat off to you for your drive. It is a large (be it HUGE) project to tackle for a first build but as you say - it will teach you plenty along the way. My first gasser was a scratch built hydro (ugly as sin it was). I credit that boat with all the lessons I know to this day (more than 25 years later).

Regarding the turn fins - I encourage you to give this some additional thought. A sport hydro with a single angled turn fin will run full throttle/full speed one way and probably half throttle/half speed turning the other (will tend to lift the opposite sponson in the turn if you go too sharp). Let me tell you that running a hydro full throttle through a turn is about as much fun as you can hope to have - awesome!!. Running a straight or pair of straight fins to afford both left and right turning you will find she does not handle at all well through the turns - probably end up less than 3/4 speed at best. I have yet to see it work out well. If nothing else - reinforce both sponsons and keep the option there to mount different turn fins just in case you change your mind later ;)

Looking forward to seeing some pics and following your progress. By all means let us know if you run into any road blocks. Have fun with it - half the fun of these things can be in the building of them!!

Regards
Matt

martno1fan 07-02-2010 02:02 AM

I agree with everything Matt said,hydros are meant to turn one way only usually clockwise,the reason for that fin is to allow it to turn at full speed and as he said theres nothing like it.The thrill you get when driving a hydro at full speed in a turn is amazing and takes a lot of nerve especially when your starting out.Good luck with your project i hope it works out for you.
Mart

exotica 07-02-2010 02:10 AM

...thanks Matt and Mark and I appreciate the encouragement. I understand all the bad press regarding this hull as it is sold as an RTR. Further from the truth I know as the motor, drive line ect, basically the rest of the boat is cheap chinese rubbish. I also appreciate the honesty from you veterans and experienced boater to point newbies like me in the right direction. We must also remember to keep an open mind on what can be achieved with a little know how, some background skills and a keen passion to buck trends and give things a go.

Justaddwata 07-02-2010 02:53 AM

ORIGINAL: exotica
We must also remember to keep an open mind on what can be achieved with a little know how, some background skills and a keep passion to buck trends and give things a go.
Indeed - nothing wrong with thinking outside the box - be a boring world is no one tried something new ;)

Justaddwata 07-02-2010 02:54 AM

We must also remember to keep an open mind on what can be achieved with a little know how, some background skills and a keep passion to buck trends and give things a go.
Indeed - nothing wrong with thinking outside the box - be a boring world is no one tried something new ;)

Oh - and Mart is the veteran - I am still in my 30's :)

martno1fan 07-02-2010 03:15 AM

Exotica im the same never do as others do allways do my own thing but i take bits of advice from people if i think its good ;).Keep us posted on your progress and maybe some of us can help along the way.At the very least im sure you will finish with a boat that will be fun and as Matt said building things or doing things yourself you will learn a lot.Post a few pics of the modifications as you go and above all have fun.
Mart
ps Matt thanks for that buddy i owe you one [:@]..........;)

scooter666 07-02-2010 06:24 AM

Exotica, Good to see a aussie having a go!!!!!!!
Mate, I have done the same thing of rebuilding a chinese RTR with good goodies and success. 48 mph was fast for a newbie starting out in this great hobbie..:):):)And learnt alot of skills along the way!!!! Just remember too buy good quality gear, what you can afford, because you will probably end up installing that gear into a better hull down the road..As i did;););)
The finished job on the chinese SPIDER cat of mine just didnt have the proper hull handling ability that a well designed hull had.. I eventually bought a Falcon Cat hull, which are very strong,cheap and well made, and converted over all the goodies into the new hull and now Im doing mid 60mph....Now I consider myself a fast boat hobbist..lol.lol.lol
Dont be afraid to ask questions here as we have all been where you are now..Check out JAW's first boat picture!!!!!!!:D:D:D
My best tip for you is to read read read through this forum site and you'll be half way to having a crazy ballistic boat that will give you many hours of enjoyment..:D:D:D

Cheers Scoot

exotica 07-02-2010 10:39 AM

...thanks guys im now starting to feel a little more at home on this forum. I will get some pics up over the next few days and I will be asking for advice or suggestions if I get stuck or start doubting a particular direction. Ive just finished modifying my friends RTR chinese cat hull tonight and ill get pics of that up shortly as well. We made some custom engine mounts to fit the new Zenoah g260pum, new throttle control rod instead of the crappy cable and changed the COG bringing the hull approx 5mm from the botom of the hull. New tuned pipe also so im now waiting to get mine back together so we can chase eachother around and have some fun on the water.

exotica 07-04-2010 03:25 AM

...have added some images now of the first stages of the modifications.

martno1fan 07-04-2010 03:38 AM

How about a pic of the bottom of the hull to show what you did on the stuffing tube exit ;).
Mart

exotica 07-04-2010 03:44 AM

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

How about a pic of the bottom of the hull to show what you did on the stuffing tube exit ;).
Mart
...that will come as the hull is still in the panel shop getting painted.

exotica 07-04-2010 04:22 AM

...below are pictures of the modifications made to the new drive train. This hull originally had the drivetrain
made up of two nylon tubes seen in the first and second imageswith the 6.35mm (1/4inch)flexcable running
through it and theninto the prop shaft, nobrass to be seen anywhere and friction city. I have now made up a
custom drive train usingno less than 3seperate pieces of brass tubing soldered togetherwhich will now run the
entire length of the drive train through the strengthened stuffing box with next to no friction at all. The new drive train
will be siliconed into the strengthened stuffing box so some of the vibrations from the new power plant can be
absorbed by the silicone.

You can see at the end of the drive train I have madea small brass cup sitting half way over a little piece of silicon
water tubing, which will now stop anygrease or water frombeing spun up into the hull from the flex cable.This brass
cup is not soldered into place its held inplace by the silicone tubing which is sitting on the flex cable very tightly.

The prop shaft has also now seen the addition of a new high speed precision thrust bearing and another high
speed bearing added to the middle of the inside of the prop shaft to further support the flex cable ensuring it
runs true even if ridiculous horsepower is supplied. I would now be confident that this drive train will never fail.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...8/IMG_0582.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...8/IMG_0583.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...8/IMG_0584.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...8/IMG_0585.jpg

exotica 07-04-2010 05:49 AM

ORIGINAL: scooter666

Exotica, Good to see a aussie having a go!!!!!!!
Mate, I have done the same thing of rebuilding a chinese RTR with good goodies and success. 48 mph was fast for a newbie starting out in this great hobbie..:):):)And learnt alot of skills along the way!!!! Just remember too buy good quality gear, what you can afford, because you will probably end up installing that gear into a better hull down the road..As i did;););)
The finished job on the chinese SPIDER cat of mine just didnt have the proper hull handling ability that a well designed hull had.. I eventually bought a Falcon Cat hull, which are very strong,cheap and well made, and converted over all the goodies into the new hull and now Im doing mid 60mph....Now I consider myself a fast boat hobbist..lol.lol.lol
Dont be afraid to ask questions here as we have all been where you are now..Check out JAW's first boat picture!!!!!!!:D:D:D
My best tip for you is to read read read through this forum site and you'll be half way to having a crazy ballistic boat that will give you many hours of enjoyment..:D:D:D

Cheers Scoot

...the Geico Power photo is out of control, now theres a power plant!

Justaddwata 07-04-2010 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: scooter666

Cheers Scoot

...the Geico Power photo is out of control, now theres a power plant!
I think Scoot is referring to where I started out - [link=http://photos.imageevent.com/justaddwata/morerc/assortedpostingfolder/firstboat/huge/IMG.jpg]Once upon an ugly time!![/link] - yep thats me around 25 years ago (I said she was ugly as sin!! :)) For the record - I too am a fellow Aussie - still having a go [8D]

Looks like you have plenty of skills already - off to a very good start [sm=teeth_smile.gif]

exotica 07-04-2010 06:42 AM

...LOL Jaws, thats a good old photo mate. I have to say that it appears the technology has advanced a little LOL regarding these gassers.

exotica 07-04-2010 07:22 AM

....out with the old engine and setting up the new one to run it in on the bench. With almost a
full tank run through it, the Zen has spun up a couple of timesto a laser measured 15200rpm
under no load on the bench and still the high speed needle has not been tuned and adjustedproperly.
So far I understand why this seems to be the preferred powerplant to start with.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...8/IMG_0586.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...8/IMG_0587.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...8/IMG_0588.jpg

scooter666 07-04-2010 07:37 AM

Yep....thats the photo of a man with a dream who turned it into reality....If god wanted a boat he would call Matt.
Exotica, keep the posts coming, You'll do just fine with your build, but remember that mistakes are sometimes the best way of learning...I know coz ive made heaps of em [X(][X(][X(]
good luck with it.
cheers Scoot

scooter666 07-04-2010 07:53 AM

Exotica... looking at your drive line pics and seeing you have a square end flexi to the engine collet...what stops the flexi shaft sliding straight out of the square collet and strut deep into davey jone's locker????????
I'm not knockin, just asking, as ive only ever used round end flexi's.

Cheers Scoot

exotica 07-04-2010 08:09 AM

...whats Davey Jones locker??? Im guessing its another term for the deep blue??? The flex cable cannot
slide out of the strut housingas it soldered to the prop shaft. The prop shaft has a flange on it that sits up
against the new high speed bearing I have installed in the strut housing. To remove the flex cable you can
either pull it out from inside the hull or remove it, the strut, prop, dog etc all in one piece by removing the
one nut and boltthat holds the strut ontotransommountas it is pictured. It will come in very handy when
I want to pull the entire drive train out to clean and service it.

exotica 07-04-2010 08:25 AM

...I hope this image clarifies what I am trying to explain.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...8/IMG_0589.jpg

chevypower1930 07-04-2010 10:00 AM

I'm a plane guy but that's going to he a sick boat. Haha keep it going buddy I'll be following

martno1fan 07-04-2010 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi mate just for the next one you might want to consider a ferrule setup to join the flex to stub if your going to use a square ended flex.The ferrule stops the flex and shaft sliding out of the boat also but because it uses grub screws to attach the ferrule to the stub its easy to remove as you just loosen the grub screws and everything can come out easy ;).The flex is soldered into the ferrule using silver solder.
Mart

exotica 07-04-2010 05:34 PM

...cheers Mart for the diagram. Ive got that already as it the prefered method of a drive line in a gasser.
Im going to work with what hardware came with the hull trying to utilise what I can. I can always replace
a strut and rudder down the track at anytime without to much fuss.