Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Tunnel Hulls

Old 07-31-2003, 07:26 PM
dwi116

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tunnel Hulls

Hello all,

Looking to buy/build my first tunnel and wanted to solicit a few comments. I'm looking at the 7.5cc size hulls and wanted to hear what people have to say about quality, ease of build and setup as well as parts availability. Looks to me like Prather and Aeromarine Laminates have the best stuff.

Also wondering about the outboards. Is K&B the only outboard going?

Also have a radio question for the experience boaters out there. Looks to me like few racers go beyond 3 channels (rudder, throttle and mix) Why no trim adjustment?

Thanks for any comments
Old 07-31-2003, 11:56 PM
Ken Hildreth

Default Tunnel Hulls

If I were to make a decision on a tunnel today, A few would come to mind, but not the ones you mentioned. Personally, I think the Hopper Tunnel is the best tunnel out there. Any one that drives one would probably agree. This boat is made by Mark Hopper and is a very good hull. I also like the Leecraft if you can find one and the old aerotech worked well but are far and few between. as for motors, K and Bs are not as plentiful as they used to be. I dont know how the parts situation goes, but Rossi makes a 7.5 powerhead that works well, There is a conversion that Jim Irwin had alot to do with to convert a cmb45 inboard into an outboard and it worked well also. It looked a little different though with its belt starter. Hoped I helped a little, Ken
Old 08-01-2003, 03:47 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Tunnel Hulls

Sorry, but the Prather is an outdated design and I haven't seen a 7.5 Aeromarine run yet. At the IMPBA Internats, the Hopper tunnel was well represented. I have a DPI 7.5 tunnel and it's OK but not the greatest. I had an Aerotech 7.5 and sold it recently and am still kicking myself for selling it. Another hot one is the VanHouten Hornet sold by 707 Specialties. If you are interested in a 7.5 tunnel at a decent price with spare parts, let me know. Go to www.intlwaters.com, there are a lot of tunnel hull boaters in there with good advice.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:52 PM
dwi116

Default Tunnel Hulls

Ron & Ken,

Thanks to both of you for your input! I'm reading up on the hulls you mention. I might very well be interested in your used boat Ron. I have lots ot RC plane experience, both building and flying, but I am still looking for something at leat close to RTR, at least for my first boat. Let me know what you have.

Dwight
Old 08-02-2003, 03:03 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Tunnel Hulls

It's the DPI 7.5 with a mildly modded K&B. It has a Magic Muffler pipe on it and the motor has fresh bearings. No radio equipment in it as I had to use it when my sons boat got too much water in the radio box at the Internats. It does have a spare lower unit that is in so-so shape, spare flex cables, teflon tubes, maybe some extra props and drives plus whatever other parts that I have laying around for it. Drop a radio system in it and it would be ready to go in about a half hour. It has been in no major accidents, just a few scratches that have been fixed and repainted. I would like to get about $250.00 shipped but will consider offers. I don't have Yahoo IM like you asked but do have others. See my profile for what else I am connected to.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:33 PM
Ken Hildreth

Default Tunnel Hulls

I dont know Ron personally, But I have read alot of his post and I honestly dont think you can go wrong for what Ron is offering. that is a really good deal. If a 7.5 tunnel is what you are looking for. I currently have a 3.5 tunnel on ebay that is a WOF boat with a rossi 21 and a 7.5 foot and would not be able to sell it for that. I dont have any 7.5 tunnels and nothing at all i could tell you about that is in rons price range. Ken
Old 08-15-2003, 12:40 PM
MUISER
My Feedback: (3)

Default Tunnel Hulls

check out items 3141806718 and 3141807575 on the popular auction site eeebay
Old 08-15-2003, 03:14 PM
dwi116

Default Tunnel Hulls

Thanks!