Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Twin .12 Texan video

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Twin .12 Texan video

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Glenn Quarles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin .12 Texan video

Friends, I finally have a bit of video!!! I was pretty happy with the way it ran again today, but of course a new issue showed up. The afterrun oil I use is very slippery (Mobil Jet One) and if I don't clean the pipes and couplers really good before I put it together, the coupler slides off the pipes. It did it each run today so I never got more than a few laps. But I was happy overall. I was running the largest set of 1440 props Mark built for me. You can't tell in the video, but the water was really bumpy on the left end and back straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0GQMveZHc4

Anyway, not a great video, but I'm happy the boat is coming around.

Glenn
Old 12-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Blackout

Default RE: Twin .12 Texan video

Looking good Glenn! Any idea what speeds you are getting so far?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:07 PM
toyotatruckin

Looks good, like the retrieve boat to, get your stalled RC / catch a bass!
Old 12-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Glenn Quarles

Craig, no I hesitate to make a guess at the speed. I don't consider this a very fast boat yet...it is certainly not as fast as my single .12 heat racing boat. But that is OK as I didn't really build it for speed, just for the cool factor (and I AM happy with that).

GQ
Old 12-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Glenn Quarles

ORIGINAL: toyotatruckin

Looks good, like the retrieve boat to, get your stalled RC / catch a bass!
Yeah, and I try to do as much of that as I can find time for! Although it is a PAIN having to go through all of the steps to run model boats out of a real boat!

GQ
Old 12-20-2010, 09:27 PM
res3567

Pain....I figured the PEACE OF MIND knowing if your model stalled out while you were in a REAL boat would be all that you needed to have more pleasant runs.....
Old 12-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Glenn Quarles

ORIGINAL: res3567

Pain....I figured the PEACE OF MIND knowing if your model stalled out while you were in a REAL boat would be all that you needed to have more pleasant runs.....
That is true! It is just easier to load my kayak in the back of the truck and go to a nice pond.

Glenn
Old 12-21-2010, 05:14 AM
amax

Looks good Glen I Love the sound of the Twin Engine set up.

I have running Out the John Boat down to a Science, I don't have any Nice Club Ponds to run at and Most the ponds I do run at have tons of weeds around the edges,,, Dang FL Swamp,,

You should check out the SANYO Xacti line of HD cameras they have some nice vidoe cams for a decent price, or atleast compared to the Other HD cameras out there with the big optical zooms and such. There small and real easy to operate. Check out a couple of my vids and you'll see what I mean.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Looking good Glenn! Don't sweat the video as I can see and hear it well enough.
You're not blaming Donna are you? I won't tell.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Glenn Quarles

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Looking good Glenn! Don't sweat the video as I can see and hear it well enough.
You're not blaming Donna are you? I won't tell.
HA HA, no the video itself it good (my son Brady actually took it), it is just the boat wasn't running as good as I would have liked.

Glenn
Old 12-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Blackout

Glenn, Sure looks fast to me!

BTW, Pulling one head shim and running no water on my JAE 21 Novarossi 5-port did the trick for me, running 25% nitro and 55 degrees out. Thanks for that advise that you gave me awhile back, it really woke the engine up, still allot of tuning still... Novarossi makes a great motor.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Glenn Quarles

ORIGINAL: Blackout

Glenn, Sure looks fast to me!

BTW, Pulling one head shim and running no water on my JAE 21 Novarossi 5-port did the trick for me, running 25% nitro and 55 degrees out. Thanks for that advise that you gave me awhile back, it really woke the engine up, still allot of tuning still... Novarossi makes a great motor.
Blackout, I'm glad to hear yours is working good! Yeah, getting the motor up to temp is VERY important. Notice there is NO water on the twin.

Glenn
Old 12-22-2010, 10:23 AM
advanced builder

Glenn,
What are good running temps for all your Nova's And what temp's are the ones to stay below. I was with Blackout when he ran his Nova , pretty Fast run. I'm not sure if we had the radar on ,your hull Craig. Or did we? I remember 49 mph on what hull I'm not sure. I better get me a temp gun. I'm a believer in temp guns. NOW I've also heard a few other guys swear buy there temps. Just another tool that works. I guess I'll find out this Spring. I thought that speed on them twins wasn't bad. Glenn.
We need a laptop to start keeping imfo. Air temp/ water temp / engine temp. Who would of thought. laptops , water gauge. My tool box is getting heavy.
Happy Holidays
Neil
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96792.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1537287  
Old 12-23-2010, 07:40 AM
Glenn Quarles

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

Glenn,
What are good running temps for all your Nova's And what temp's are the ones to stay below. I was with Blackout when he ran his Nova , pretty Fast run. I'm not sure if we had the radar on ,your hull Craig. Or did we? I remember 49 mph on what hull I'm not sure. I better get me a temp gun. I'm a believer in temp guns. NOW I've also heard a few other guys swear buy there temps. Just another tool that works. I guess I'll find out this Spring. I thought that speed on them twins wasn't bad. Glenn.
We need a laptop to start keeping imfo. Air temp/ water temp / engine temp. Who would of thought. laptops , water gauge. My tool box is getting heavy.
Happy Holidays
Neil
Neil, I have no idea of what the temps are...I just use the finger test. If I can hold my finger on the head for more than 3 or 4 seconds then it is to cold, if I can't touch it without getting burnt then it is to hot. If the boat sags or quit while it is running, then it is to hot. There is a HUGE difference between running a motor to cold and running one that is warm enough.

If you check out this video it shows the temp stuff pretty good and you can see how I check it at the end of the run. This motor temp was just at the high end of being right on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2YAcAgm42Y

Glenn
Old 12-23-2010, 08:14 AM
Blackout

Glenn,
Happy Holidays
Neil
Neil,

We radared my JAE 21 at 55 mph, but that was the very first time it was running descent. That was on 25% nitro and a Zippkit 1450 prop. My mono radared at 49 mph.

I have a infrared pyrometer you can borrow when we test at my place again. From what I have read, 175 to 200 degrees is good. The sleeve in ABC engines need to expand like designed and that won't happen until the engine gets up to temp. Better to cool the engine by running rich than cool with too much water. In the end you will get more power.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: Glenn Quarles

Glenn,
Happy Holidays
Neil
Neil, I have no idea of what the temps are...I just use the finger test. If I can hold my finger on the head for more than 3 or 4 seconds then it is to cold, if I can't touch it without getting burnt then it is to hot. If the boat sags or quit while it is running, then it is to hot. There is a HUGE difference between running a motor to cold and running one that is warm enough.

If you check out this video it shows the temp stuff pretty good and you can see how I check it at the end of the run. This motor temp was just at the high end of being right on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2YAcAgm42Y

Glenn
Glenn,

Your finger test works good. I have done both and using your fingers is pretty accurate and allot easier. It's hard to take the pyrometer in the retrieve boat....
Old 12-23-2010, 10:59 AM
advanced builder

I did hear about the "SPIT" test. If your spit on the head button & bubbles it's too hot. infrared pyrometer that's too easy. LOL 55 MPH Craig , You got me beat. I'm 53mph down in Elmira. I can't wait. buddy.
just don't spit into the wind. OR do a#1 into the wind. [X(] I'm not sure if they censure pee pee ,Here