Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Age Old Question....Gas, Oil and 104 Octane Booster?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Age Old Question....Gas, Oil and 104 Octane Booster?

Old 08-08-2003, 01:55 PM
Shockwave55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Age Old Question....Gas, Oil and 104 Octane Booster?

Im sure you have all seen this age old question on here too many times so please forgive my ignorance. I have a stock Shockwave with the Zenoah G23 engine. I am currently using 87 Octane gasoline with a no-name 2 cycle engine oil mixed at 32:1.
What do you guys run (or reccomend) in your boats? Can you use 93 Octane gasoline? Should I be using a higher quality 2-cycle Synthetic oil and finally are there any advantages or disadvantages in using an Octane booster product with you gas/oil mixture?

Thanks again for the help!

-Shockwave55
Old 08-08-2003, 02:06 PM
im 2fast4u
My Feedback: (3)

my suggestion is go buy some golden spectro 2 stroke oil(black bottle gold print) it is made for dirtbikes, atvs, and high quality 2 strokes and mix it 32:1 with regular pump gas or super if you want but i use regular gas... gs is IMO the cleanest running and best 2 stroke oil i have ever found i dont have a boat yet but will soon but i run it in every 2 stroke i have and ever have had... including my homelite weed wacker (so it should work well in a boat)... i also found that poulan makes pretty good 2 stroke oil it is a little bit smokey mixed with there measurement thing but it works well... my last suggestion is to go to a boat store and buy some 2 stroke oil for real boats it is dirt cheap and works excellent (the reason i dont use it because there isnt a boat store near me) it is like 1/3 the price of normal 2 stroke oil... dont use that crap that is in the little premix bottles it is terrible IMO its smokes to much and runs crappy
Old 08-11-2003, 12:19 AM
TTKarl

As for the octane goes. Higher octane does not mean more power. In a nutshell the higher octane ignites at a higher temp. The reason that they use use higher octane such as 130 octane in race cars is that they have high compression. In turn compression causes heat if you used 87 octane the engine would predetonate or spark knock. In some turbocharged cars that use a knock sensor you also may gain some power due to the fact with the higher octane the computer will advance the timing. Unless your motor is spark knocking I would stick with 87 octane. IMO the premium gas is worse due to the fact that the 87 doesn't sit in the tank for nearly as long as the premium gas does. As far as octane boosters go I don't know, never used them but I can't see any advantage of using them.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:30 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The hot shots over on Jim's R/C Boat Dock advise using regular old 87 Octane with a good 2-stoke oil.