Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

going to run my 1/8th scale hydros,what do i need?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

going to run my 1/8th scale hydros,what do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 02:31 PM
mxzrev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going to run my 1/8th scale hydros,what do i need?

hey guys..i have two gorgeous 1/8th scale hydos that have been shelf queens for a few years but i think its time i run at least one of them...i have a steve thomas t5 bud hydro and a dumas circus circus hydro,both in great condition and pretty much ready to run except for starting gear...both a 9.5 out of 10 easy...so my question i guess is what do i need to get one of these on the water...what starter,batteries,nitro,etc do i need when i get to the lake....they both have brand new ops motors in them also...if you guys have a list you could send me so when i get to the lake i have everything i need to have a little frustrating fun at the lake....i know nitro motors are very tempermental and im very new to this so thats why i ask...so any input would be appreciated...thanks.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: going to run my 1/8th scale hydros,what do i need?

Asking what do you need is opening a can of worms since many people have differing opinions on the subject. I'll start out the list in a second post and let others add to it
Old 06-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Hydro Junkie

You will need the following:
a chase boat of some sort and personal floatation(i. e. life jacket)-NEVER SWIM AFTER A BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a close range retrieve system, many use a spincasting reel with a tennis ball on the end of the line
a starter running off either 12 or 24 volts worth of batteries like this one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFT84&P=7
starter belt similar to this http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFT89&P=7
a glow ignitor of some sort
fuel
fuel pump
hand tools
spare glow plugs
assorted props
tape measure
starting stand
table(unless you would rather work on the ground)
SOMEONE TO HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rubber boots-NEVER RUN A BOAT WITH BARE FEET UNLESS YOU LIKE HOSPITALS

Optional Items:
power panel and field box
electric fuel pump
pop up roof
chairs
snacks and drinks-NO BEER OR ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2011, 04:16 PM
mxzrev

well its a start...i appreciate it...trust me i have reached out to fellow boaters in this area and there is just no one who runs boats in this area...im in upstate new york,saratoga area...everyone who ever offered to help are hours away...would like to find someone local but its just not real popular around here i guess...thanks for a good start anyways....im sure i will have alot more questions in the future.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:06 PM
idocdave09
My Feedback: (1)

Maybe some one here close to you
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9801940/tm.htm
Old 06-08-2011, 06:33 AM
advanced builder

We run this Saturday at Brick pond in Elmira. Look all you want and ask what you need to know. Corner of Patterson St and Sullivan St. We have guys that come form Buffalo to Ottawa to Boston and NYC area. I live around Syracuse. This is my 3 rd year. felt right at home the 3 ed time I was their. 42°06'27.37" N 76°48'08.07" W
Neil
Old 06-08-2011, 10:44 AM
chief3452

Hey mxzrev,

I don't want to assume anything about your abilities to handle an RC model but it sounds like you are a novice boater. No shame in that, we all started somewhere. If I am wrong about your skill level, please accept my apology, but if your 1/8 scale boats are 9.5 quality, and you have never handled a big nitro engine or model on the water, do yourself a favor and hook up with advanced builder or someone who has experience with a big model boat. If the engines have sat for a long period of time it would be wise to perform an inspection on the internals, especially the bearings before you fire them up. Do you know if the engines are broke in? That will require some tuning and you would be wise to seek help with that, as well. When it comes to tuning an engine my motto is there is only one letter difference between RUNNING and RUINING. The grease in the flex shafts needs to be checked, all your radio gear needs to be tested for proper rigging and operation, range check, etc. etc. Scales are big, fast and as you said, tempermental. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to get some help before you go to the pond. It will make all the difference in the world, trust me. Hope this helps.

Scott
Old 06-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Hydro Junkie

Thank you Scott. You clearly stated the reason behind my saying having someone to help. I've never seen a boat that was 9.5 out of 10 easy to run right out of the box or, in this case, off the shelf. I know with my first boat, I never did get it running properly and I fault that as much to my inexperience as I do to the boat itself, a Dumas Pay'N Pak built to the letter of the directions[:@]
Old 06-08-2011, 02:15 PM
advanced builder

Thanks chief3452 ,Joe over at http://www.zippkits.com/
Joe knows lots of boaters. he may know a few over your way neck of the woods. My first boat was a 1/8 scale as well. I knew very little . I still have that boat and engine. I f money is tight- you may find area boaters in your local hobby shop. they may know a few. Nothing like running a hydro, We get rigger fever. now-days. You need a very calm waters to run her. they are not made for a slight chop. Not a every day hull. I used to bring mine out every 4th of July weekend. at dusk. or early morning.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:10 PM
mxzrev

thanks for all the input....i know its not easy to run one of these things but always loved these boats...they look and run like the real thing...i used to go to the real hydro races when they ran here in new york in the late 80s and early 90s....back then unlimited hydros were big,they use to show the races on espn...i know the sport has lost some of its appeal since then...maybe showing my age a little now...i really wish there was some local boaters around here,but there isnt...as for hobby stores again we dont have much of that ethier....thet are into the little nitro cars and trucks if anything,no boaters at all...they are no help what so ever,actually kind of rude....maybe i will just consider selling them and run a gas car or something....i used to mess with 1/5 and 1/4 cars alittle but i really want to run boats...maybe sell these and get a gas boat,a little less aggravating i guess...i do appeciate all the help but i just dont have alot of time to drive a couple hours to meet a fellow boater,kids r into sports so my time is limited...as for my current boats they r only a year old so im sure the motors are fine,never started....i guess i will ponder over it for now,thanks again everyone for your input.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Hydro Junkie

Don't give up on the boats that easily. There is a lot to learn and even more to gain by sticking with it. I think you will find that the kids might get into the hobby once they see you're boats running. My advice is to MAKE THE TIME to go run with these other guys that have experience. I think you will find that the help they can provide, even if you only go a few times, will make your boating more enjoyable and take a lot of the frustration out of trying to get the boats running. If you can combine your trip with something else, such as spending the weekend out with the family, it's not that far to go and more than worth the time.
As far as hobby shops, there is only two in my area that sell anything for the boats, one 20+ miles away and the other 75 or so. The closer one has a few kits and some props, other than that everything is Aquacraft and Pro Boat, which I don't have any desire of having. This goes back to combining the trip with something else. In my case, it's usually a 175 mile round trip to Tacoma to buy plywood for building boats with a stop at both hobby shops on the way home, kills three birds with one stone
Old 06-09-2011, 01:15 AM
chief3452

ORIGINAL: mxzrev

thanks for all the input....i know its not easy to run one of these things but always loved these boats...they look and run like the real thing...i used to go to the real hydro races when they ran here in new york in the late 80s and early 90s....back then unlimited hydros were big,they use to show the races on espn...i know the sport has lost some of its appeal since then...maybe showing my age a little now...i really wish there was some local boaters around here,but there isnt...as for hobby stores again we dont have much of that ethier....thet are into the little nitro cars and trucks if anything,no boaters at all...they are no help what so ever,actually kind of rude....maybe i will just consider selling them and run a gas car or something....i used to mess with 1/5 and 1/4 cars alittle but i really want to run boats...maybe sell these and get a gas boat,a little less aggravating i guess...i do appeciate all the help but i just dont have alot of time to drive a couple hours to meet a fellow boater,kids r into sports so my time is limited...as for my current boats they r only a year old so im sure the motors are fine,never started....i guess i will ponder over it for now,thanks again everyone for your input.
mszrev, I hope my cautions didn't discourage you. I just wanted to emphasize the importance of experience in running a big nitro model. You are right, a scale hydro is not easy to run, but you can avoid a ton of aggravation with someone knowledgeable helping. In my opinion, a scale hydro is the pinnacle of nitro boat modeling and when that boat is flying across the pond in front of you at full song, it is an awesome sight. There is nothing more fun than having a successful day running boats at the pond and like HJ said, your kids might dig it too. As for me, I've been hooked on unlimited hydros since 1970. My parents took me to the 4th of July races at Madison every year and I still get goosebumps when I remember the sound of those Allisons and Rolls Royces thundering in that river valley...it made my whole body vibrate! Find the time, get some help, and you'll be glad you did, trust me!

Scott
Old 06-09-2011, 06:03 PM
dynacopas

Just a little insight. It has taken me 3 weeks to get my tunnel hull straightened out and running decent. It still has quite a bit of tuning. Keep in mind I am working with it an hour or two a day 4 sometimes 5 days a week. Granted this is my first boat. So there is a learning curve. And it is frustrating sometimes.  If there were any boaters withing 100 miles of me I would not hesitate to drive to meet.

bama boaters WANTED.