Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Safty, What about it?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Safty, What about it?

Old 08-17-2003, 05:03 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Safty, What about it?

I had some what of a little accident the other day, and I posted it on here. Had some very good responses, that got me to thinking. Here in the boating Universe we are some what family, that we all try to help and look out for one another. I would like to hear about some of your near misses and accidents, just so that I can maybe learn about some of the things that I am not thinking about. I know that we all at one time or another done something just plan stupid.
I think that we can teach the young and the old a thing or two.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:43 PM
TTKarl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, lets see. Alot stupid mistakes. Seen my father-in-law space out and run his traxxas about 3 feet on shore. Um, loosend the bolts that held the motor mount in the boat to adjust something and forgot to tighten them back up. Boat ran at about 3/4 throttle till it ran outta gas. Of course forgot to turn the radio on in the boat. Seems like everything could've been avoided by common sense.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:44 PM
Ken Hildreth

I have one, never put you cowl lock downs on the very rear of the boat above the prop. I have a friend that did this. he had ran the boat over a year, then two years ago, before a race, he was testing with a group of people, the boat had been ran a couple of times. and after he started it, he put the cowl on and went to lock it down, his fingers slipped off the lock and two fingers hit the prop. It was over 30 stitches total. and his fingers still dont move the same. Needless to say, my locks are not on the back of the boat. Ken
Old 08-18-2003, 02:51 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Karl and Ken. I feel like this is something that should be taking to heart. This is a very fun sport, until we take it for granted and get hurt. If we all keep sharing this information, more can continual to enjoy a day with radio control models.
Guys take a moment and share your information, it does not matter if it happen to you or not.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:02 PM
hifonixs

Default i got some

one time the rx battery came lose boat hit shore flew 10ft. in the air and hit a tree. when i opend the cowl the gps said 70mph

seen people blow up motors by starting with the radio off (you know who you are) lol

and to much to remember but as i do i will post them here

joe
Old 08-19-2003, 03:20 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm a believer in prop guards on my starting stands, they're easy enough to make. not only do they felp to protect valuable body parts, especially when the boats are sitting just under waist high but they also help to keep glow plug and starter wires out of the prop. Launch handles on 'riggers. I have launched friends 'riggers without them and I am very leery of the props on those. Ware shoes at all times around running boats. Yeah, I'm stoopid enough to have done this when I know better.
Don't swim after a dead boat, get a cheap fishing pole or an inflatable 2 or 3 man boat. They're cheap, I just bought one 2 weeks ago with oars for $23.00.
Do radio checks before starting your boat, I do this religiously.
Don't run around swimmers or Wildlife like ducks.
I've got more but I'll post them as I think of more. These are the biggies so far.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:20 PM
Ken Hildreth

i have got an answer for the swimming thing and its a proven theory. take an electric boat, like a zig zag racer, tie your fishing string to it like you would your tennis ball, and let it be the ball!!, just drive it out around the boat, and real it all in, the fishing line will catch the rudder almost every time, and the boat will make a number of trips because it only has to use power to go to the boat, not come back. you should try this, Ken