Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Back into RC Boating

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Back into RC Boating

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 12:48 PM
WestCoastD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back into RC Boating

I'm a lifetime rc boater. I have been out of the sport since like 1990, now I'm back. I still have quite a collection of boats and hardware in my garage- Prather Deep Vee's, Pirhana hydro; Youngblood mono's; Andy Brown outrigger; Octura Wing Ding; Rossi marine motors; Picco marine motors, OPS marine motors.

However, looking around (on-line) it's seems to be very difficult finding anything or anyone out there related to RC Boating. Not many dealers. Also seems the popular rc boat magazines are out-of-business?

When I stepped-out back in late 80's/early 90's I remember there was quite an array of high-performance boats (mono's, hydro/outriggers, tunnels) along with a very competitive line-up of engine manufacturers (Rossi, Picco, OPS, K&B, etc.,...). Not it seems there are mostly "ready-to-run" kits from China, and gas-powered stuff. What happened to all the high-performance nitro models? I guess the bad economy has drastically affected things?
Old 09-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Back into RC Boating

Three things have happened:
1) Companies like Horizon are sending a majority of their manufacturing to China or Taiwan
2) Local companies can't match the prices and fold up shop. There's still Octura and Aeromarine, as well as Speedmaster for the nitro boats. As far as engines, K&B was sold twice and now is more of a has been, OS is down to nothing bigger than a .46 inboard leaving only a couple manufacturers making anything larger than a .21 and, with the lack of competitors, those larger engines have become more and more expensive
3) Fuel costs have gone up, like everything else. What is really a problem is the noise and exhaust of the nitro boats. Many former running sites have been shut down due to noise complaints or people saying how bad we polute the water. This has led to new ordinances banning fuel powered boats, effectively killing the hobby in many areas
Old 09-06-2011, 01:39 PM
toyotatruckin

Nitro overall has just about taken 3rd place in rc boats gas is king followed by electric, its not dead by any stretch just not as popular, some areas nitro is still very strong some areas its obsolete in others hit and miss really, CMB, Novarossi, A/A, are the top nitro engines (also cost a ton) OS, K&B, are still selling marine engines although OS has just about phased them out think they only sell the 21-21OB-and 18 sizes K&B hit and miss what you can get/find, there are others out there to GO engines are ok but limited in parts and places to get them. As for hulls there are still a ton of quality hulls out there in just about every style, sign up on intlwaters.com its more of a nitro dedicated boating site, thats where youll find just about everything your looking for.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Blackout

Yup, sign up to Intlwaters and you will find dealers that do not have website. Novarossi is coming out with a new .45 that should be real fast and hopefully relatively inexpensive. Glenn Quarles is the USA distributor for Novarossi, but his real prices are cheaper than his website, so you need to PM him. Shawn Junker builds a fast .21 and .45 tunnel, but does not have a website. He too is on Intlwaters. And there are others...
Old 09-06-2011, 11:13 PM
WestCoastD

really appreciate all the great information you guys have provided here, a big help. I will definitelycheck out www.intlwaters.com

I will probably start-out by re-assembling/cleaning-up my two mono hulls and getting back out to the lake to test. Will run these engines until I need to replace with newer verisons (not sure what parts availability is likefor 1980's Rossi, Picco or OPS motors?). Later i plan to build one of my (old) outrigger kits sitting in my shelf.

Otherthing, I have to replace my 1980's Airtronics gear with current Airtronics gear.

Also, is Glenn Quarles on this site?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80310.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1659186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36015.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1659187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72827.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1659188  
Old 09-07-2011, 05:27 AM
advanced builder

Glenn pops in every so often. The IW site takes a few days to clear. I've been running a Nova Rossi 2 years' a good engine. OPS is still around Europe. https://www.mantuamodel.co.uk/
Old 09-07-2011, 10:05 PM
WestCoastD

I see, thanks for your input!

Are youprimarily running Nova Rossi .21 marine motors?

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

Glenn pops in every so often. The IW site takes a few days to clear. I've been running a Nova Rossi 2 years' a good engine. OPS is still around Europe. https://www.mantuamodel.co.uk/
Old 09-08-2011, 05:51 AM
advanced builder

No I run many engines mostly .21 the Nova Rossi is a good deal. CMB is right with the NR. The GO engines are a cheaper way to go. I forgot the OS many of my buddy's run them in a outboard. We also have Al Hobbs AA brand , one of the more expensive. I know nothing about that one. He posts on the IW in the manufacturing and distributors section. CK the for sale section on used parts and hulls. I plan on running the .21 CMB Zippkit rigger a Aeromarine Cat hull with a CMB .67 and my home built rigger .67 Picco. My .12 Zippkit rigger has a NR. I leave tomorrow for a weekend of racing. I have one gas EVee hull from Joe http://www.zippkits.com/
Old 09-08-2011, 06:37 AM
rodneypierce

Welcome back!  As stated, intlwaters has alot of dealers that dont necessarily have a website.  CMB and Picco are about all you have as far as newer suppliers for larger engines.  Oh, A/A also.  .21's have a few more options.  I prefer the GO engines, and they are pretty easy to get parts for.  Mark Leyde is the new US distributor for the marine motors.  Great guy, and usually has parts on hand.  Bearings, piston/rod/sleeve sets, etc.  The GO engines have proven to run neck and neck with Novarossi, and replacement parts are much cheaper.  Then, there is always Novarossi from Glenn.  Also one of the nicest guys you will ever find.  You can still find parts for some of the older stuff, but they are from people who have it left over from years past.  Enjoy the stay.  Nitro is still plenty strong.  But its very regionalized.  Certain regions run nitro, others are very gas heavy.  Same goes for electric.  I myself am a nitro guy, and always will be.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:53 AM
advanced builder

{I myself am a nitro guy, and always will be.} I like that Rodney
Old 09-08-2011, 10:47 AM
WestCoastD

thanks guys for all your info. I am a "nitro guy" and always will be as well!
Old 09-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Blackout

Yup, I prefer nitro too! And we have a good showing of nitro in the CNY area.