Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

throttle servo travel

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

throttle servo travel

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Strecker25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle servo travel

Hey guys, for the throttle servo connected to a picco .67 I dont have quite enough servo travel to get it from idle to WOT. I can adjust the trim once in the water for high idle/WOT. The servo is a standard futaba s3003, any mods for more travel?
Old 10-11-2011, 12:03 PM
coriolan

Default RE: throttle servo travel

You can move the connecting rod out at the servo or in at the carb which will give more travel, if your Tx has ATV you can set more than 100%. If its the older Picco carb with no stop at high and low you can set the control rod to be full open with high trim and full trottle and idling at low trottle. Then you just need to bring the trim low to shut down.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Strecker25

I shouldve mentioned, its an RPM carb. I did use a longer servo horn, ill see if I can rig something up for even more length. In the meantime, I did find a few mods to the 3003's, one used two resistors and the other removed the servo stop. Ill have to take one apart and dig into it tonight

also, its the flysky GT3b, ill have to look at the settings but I dont think it offers that
Old 10-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: Strecker25

I shouldve mentioned, its an RPM carb. I did use a longer servo horn, ill see if I can rig something up for even more length. In the meantime, I did find a few mods to the 3003's, one used two resistors and the other removed the servo stop. Ill have to take one apart and dig into it tonight

also, its the flysky GT3b, ill have to look at the settings but I dont think it offers that
When you get a chance, measure the length of your steering horn that you are using. Measure center to center. I will compare it with the longest that I have.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: Blackout

When you get a chance, measure the length of your steering horn that you are using. Measure center to center. I will compare it with the longest that I have.
Looks like the longest horn I have is just over 3/4" or 20mm.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Strecker25

Thanks Craig, I havent had a chance to pull off the cover and measure but I did adjust my endpoints on the flysky and although not a ton it did give a little bit more travel (20%) and just about gets the barrel open.

I probably shouldnt get ahead of myself and worry about full throttle, first I just need to make sure this thing isnt a submarine
Old 10-12-2011, 04:16 AM
advanced builder

Can you drill a new hole in the carb arm? If so move inward. Gotta be close if talking linkage.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:39 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I set up throttles by turning on the radio system, applying full throtlle and while holding it there, shutting off the RX. You can then turn off the TX. Adjust your linkage so that you have full throttle. Turn your system back on and see where it's sitting at. Make sure that the trim is neutral and EPA's are at max.
If that doesn't work then take Neil's advice and drill a hole further in. I've had to do that on Nova Rossi's.

BTW, get rid of that 3003! That has to be one of the worst servo's ever made! Every one that I had went bad in no time.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:42 AM
advanced builder

I had better luck with the 148 years ago. 3003 are not good boating servo's. Use it till she goes. BUT you don't want it to die FO I like Hitec servos in Futaba transmitter. But Hitec servo horns don't fit Futaba spline. Hitec HS 225mg has a adjustable arm but is smaller in size. If you get Hitec look inside for proper linkage arm.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Strecker25

I have a bunch of futaba gear laying around, interesting you guys have had such bad luck with the 3003's ive had a pretty good track record but in a lot of cars and only a few boats. I do have a few 148's I could swap it for as well. with the endpoints adjusted and using the trim I can get the barrel open so I think im OK. like I said earlier anyways, I should probably be concerned with getting the thing wet before messing with the small stuff.

hopefully that can be saturday if the weather will hold off, but its not looking good at the moment
Old 10-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

As much as I hate the 3003's I love the 148's. What's the strange thing is that they're basically the same as far as spec's go yet somehow different on the inside.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Blackout

I have a bunch of futaba gear laying around, interesting you guys have had such bad luck with the 3003's ive had a pretty good track record but in a lot of cars and only a few boats. I do have a few 148's I could swap it for as well. with the endpoints adjusted and using the trim I can get the barrel open so I think im OK. like I said earlier anyways, I should probably be concerned with getting the thing wet before messing with the small stuff.

hopefully that can be saturday if the weather will hold off, but its not looking good at the moment
Saturday looks windy right now. Probably not what you want for her first run...

Not sure the 3003 will be the weak link since you are running a Flysky radio....
Old 10-12-2011, 10:49 AM
advanced builder

Here you go this is the servo horn I'm talking about. Hitec I ran my .67 rigger with a Flysky this year. What Flysky model are you using as the lowest priced one is only for RC cars and trucks Very basic.You don't have many options.Like endpoint adjustment. I had fire works during the game last night, as my batteries exploded. I charge on a table close to were I set. I charged the battery a few days ago. Bang
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11329.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1673440  
Old 10-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Strecker25

haha i have a few futaba AM's too, but ive used the flysky in a car and ive been happy with it. The receivers are tiny (and 7$) and i dont see any of the latency issues people complained about in the previous generations.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Blackout

Yah, I was mostly making fun of chinese stuff. It's a pet peeve. I'll buy Novarossi over Go engines all day long...
Old 10-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Strecker25

oh yea, and in most cases I wouldnt touch the stuff either but at 35$ i figured hey if it doesnt work its not a ton lost, theyre basically disposable at that price
Old 10-12-2011, 11:08 AM
advanced builder

oh yea, and in most cases I wouldnt touch the stuff either but at 35$ i figured hey if it doesnt work its not a ton lost, theyre basically disposable at that price
That's the best $35 I spent. Did you see the review with the receiver inside a glass of water still working. You'll be OK with Flysky.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:10 AM
advanced builder

Yah, I was mostly making fun of chinese stuff. It's a pet peeve. I'll buy Novarossi over Go engines all day long...
I got a Go that eats NR you'll find out next year.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

I got a Go that eats NR you'll find out next year.
It's on, let's race!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Strecker25

wow i hadn't seen that, just watched it. that is ridiculous, and promising!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:01 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I've also used a clipped-off servo arm bolted and CA'd to the normal servo arm to extend an extra hole. Not the best situation, but OK for low-load situations like throttle.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Strecker25

hey guys I didnt want to start a new thread for this so hopefully someone can give me a quick answer.

In the last bench test of the boat (engine starts and idles great) with a blip or two of the throttle I noticed the strut bushing comes loose. Its a speedmaster strut with the brass bushing, The bushing is just press fit into the strut, is there anything that should be done to secure it? The fit is pretty tight, but I was thinking maybe a dot or two of solder would keep it in place. Just curious what everyone else does.

Thanks
Ryan
Old 10-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Blackout

hey guys I didnt want to start a new thread for this so hopefully someone can give me a quick answer.

In the last bench test of the boat (engine starts and idles great) with a blip or two of the throttle I noticed the strut bushing comes loose. Its a speedmaster strut with the brass bushing, The bushing is just press fit into the strut, is there anything that should be done to secure it? The fit is pretty tight, but I was thinking maybe a dot or two of solder would keep it in place. Just curious what everyone else does.

Thanks
Ryan
Is it a full length bushing with holes or slots in it? If so, then it's normal. Mine does it all the time. You want to be able to take this bushing out of the strut with the cable. That way when you slide the flex cable into the strut, the grease is not scraped off the flex cable.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Strecker25

yup its the one with the holes, so that hasnt caused any problems for you? I just noticed when it moves out of place there is some play in the shaft which causes a little vibration, not sure if it would be significant when its under load though
Old 10-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Blackout

I have not had any problems. You should be fine. A little play is normal since it is not a high tolerance bearing.