Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

i need help

Old 11-18-2011, 07:01 AM
redneckdomdes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need help

im a junior in high school with no knowledge of rc at all. i dont know where to start. i am in pre engineering and was offered a project where i had to build a drag boat no bigger than 30 inched. please email me at [email protected]
Old 11-18-2011, 07:53 AM
advanced builder

Default RE: i need help

You may want to rethink your power options. I've seen some very fast speeds with a FE hull. Depending how big your wallet is. Fast = $$ Very fast means more $$$$ Here is the link to a very fast electric motor , http://www.neumotors.com/Site/Welcome.html
Old 11-18-2011, 12:20 PM
amax

You can build a Fast Nitro boat that size but where you will run into problems is a Clutch. Most Nitro boats are Direct Drive meaning when the engine turns the prop turns, there is no sitting still at the starting line like you would need for a Drag Boat.
In the world of R\C Nitro Boat racing and a majority of the R\C Gas Boat Racing we run in a Clockwise Oval 5 to 6 boats at a time. At the start of the race all boats are sitting on a stand Not running, you have 1.5 minutes to start the boat and get it on the water. and 30 seconds to get around the track to the last turn before the starting line, Ideally you want to be crossing the start line Just After the clock hits "0"( It is Definitely a Timing thing that takes practice).

There are Larger R\C Gas Boats that Drag Race but they won't fit your specifications as there approximately 45"in and up, and cost a couple grand and go up from there.
You MAY be able to adapt a clutch from an R\C Truck\Buggy, and it will definitely put your engineering skills to work. But if you do not have a Machine Shop ON Campus to work with it could also get costly. If Your teacher will change the parameters of your assignment to simply building an R\C Race Boat not a Drag Boat there are a few good options you would be able to work with and still exercise your engineering skills.

Here is an Example of a Fast R\C Race Boat that is 30"in long and runs on a .18ci Nitro engine (built by Me[8D]).
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcQs0h9d0fw&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]
Old 11-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

For a first project I'd go for electric power. Do you have a budget?
You can get a Zippkits outrigger that for a hair under $200.00 you can have it complete including batteries, charger and radio system that with a little tweaking can hit 60 MPH! Normal speeds in the high 30's.