Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

newbie with questions

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

newbie with questions

Old 01-03-2012, 10:51 PM
iampete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie with questions

i am new to rc boats...new to anything rc for that matter. I'm working with a airstreak 500 made my kyosho with a .15 nitro engine. The boat sat for a couple years without being ran and I recently decided to start messing with it. I got it running but had a few issues. 1st, every time I ran itm the exhaust manifoldscrews would loosen up due to vibration I guess. I tightened them as much as I could every time I took the boat out of the water but they would just loosen back up as soon as I ran it again. So I was wondeing what I should use to seal the screws to stop them from loosening up? Also, I cant get it to idle very well. It wants to take off on its own as soon as it touched the water and it will move quick through the water without me even touching the throttle trigger. I tried messing with the low speed idle control screw ( or whatever the screw is thats on the carb with the little nut around it) but it didnt seem to change anything, no matter how much I tightned or loosened it. So how do I get it to lower the idle down so its not screaming all the time? My next question is where is a good place to buy parts for this boat? I have not been able to find many sites that offer parts for this specific motor. I have read some about people saying the best ways to make them a little quicker is to put a tuned pipe and a new prop on. The prop I think would be pretty easy to find, but I am not real sure what exactly a tuned pipe is. Is it basically a straight exhaust pipe? I am not even sure if a tuned pipe is available for my engine let alone where to find one. and suggestions would be great thanks
Old 01-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: newbie with questions

Blue "Lock Tite" will take care of your backing out screws. As for the thing taking off, you're dealing with a new engine and they can be tricky to work with until they are broken in a bit. It almost sounds like you're running lean but, then again, I'm not an engine expert
Old 01-04-2012, 09:42 AM
amax

Your Remote Should have a "Throtel Trim" adjustment, use that to raise and lower the Idle. I haven't messed with the Kyosho stuff But I'm gessing the screw you were messing with that has the lock nut is the Retaining Screw that hold the Carb Rotor in place. If So it should be screwed in until it JUST Touches the rotor and back it out about 1\8 to 1\4 turn and lock the nut down. Make Sure the carb still opens and closes properly after messing with this screw!!

These little nitro engine idle Pretty High about 1,000 to 2,000 RPM not 500 to 1,000 rpm like a Real Car, motorcycle, gas boat enge etc...
Most R\C nitro boats are Direct Drive,, NO CLUTCH,, so the prop turns the same as the engine 1:1, they Don't Sit Still. They are not made for Putting around the pond there built to Run.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:28 PM
iampete

so lock tight will keep the screws from backing out but ill still be able to break the seal when i want to right? cause one of those exhaust manifold screws is already a little stripped out(thats another part I am wanting to find so I can replace it). Yeah i have been able to throttle back the idle a little bit using the throttle trim adjustment knob on my remote, but it still seems pretty high. If I try to turn down the idle some, it wants to die all the time. So i lower it as much as possible until it starts to sound like its gonna die soon. But ok, so who knows any sites that carry parts for this motor? I cant seem to find any sites that have aftermarket parts for it. All i can find is a couple of stock replacement parts, like glow plugs and stuff. anybody have a suggestion?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Sorry, but I can't help on the replacement parts. As for the Locktite, yes, the blue will let you remove screws. The red, however, requires the part and screws to be heated to break the grip of the Locktite