Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

First boat??

Old 01-19-2012, 06:31 AM
steed2-inactive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First boat??

Hey guys, excuse my lack of knowledge as far as rc boats go but i would like your advise. I want to buy a nitro rc boat for this summer, my dad has a spartan which i convinced him to buy 3s lipos for, and then proceded to show him how fast it was untill it went up in flames, traxxas covered it and now it has a castle system, everyone is happy.
Anyways to make a long story short, i want a nitro, and i have been looking at the Ms. vegas. I like the boat, couple questions, does it have a clutch, can you stop and idle? is there any other boats you guys would recommend? How is the ms vegas going to perform against his spartan on 6s?(i think i already know the answer to that) thanks for any input guys.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:17 AM
Dan S

Default RE: First boat??

Miss Vegas is an Hydro,
No clutch,
no you cannot stop and idle.
The miss vegas will not out perform the spartan on 6s.

keep in mind the MV is designed for oval racing.
you could always look at the electric SV27, miss geico, etc.

Dan.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:33 PM
advanced builder

A hydro is not a everyday boat. A vee hull is . Hydro's need flat water ,no chop.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:41 PM
steed2-inactive

ok so back to some basics, whats the pro's and cons of a hydro, vs a deep vee, vs a catamaran. once again thanks guys
Old 01-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

They really already answered that for hydros when talking about the Miss Vegas. Hydros, in general, fit the following:
1) They need fairly flat water
2) They are designed to turn right though wide lefts are possible
3) To get over the 40 MPH range, you need to look at larger boats with larger engines

As far as a vee or cat hull:
1) They can handle some chop, larger boat means larger chop can be handled
2) They can turn both directions
3) They can be set up with a clutch though, to do so, you need to add a pump to keep water going through the head
Old 01-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Hydro Junkie

You can expect others to chime in with contradictions to my post as well on this subject.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:34 PM
advanced builder

Ive taken my Vee into rough water and did jumps. A hydro needs flat water early morning or late in the evening No wind Where you live has something to do with that. what conditions ?
Cats will run in a semi chop. Rigger's will run a light chop. do you have help close by.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:05 PM
steed2-inactive

thats excellent hydro junkie, i had no idea hydro's were set up to steer mainly one way, that would have been a super frustrating thing to find out after the fact.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:57 AM
2916jr

A catamaran is kind of the best of both worlds, you get speeds like a hydro but rough water handling like the v-hulls
Old 01-20-2012, 05:48 AM
steed2-inactive

i think the catamaran suits my needs perfectly. i will look into the ms gieco.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:38 AM
amax

For a 1st boat I wouldn't try to get the biggest and best or Fastest, it's kinda like a 1st Car,,, It's Gonna Get Beat to Hell,, Most Likely Like the Trucks\Buggies the Slow Stock one will SEEM Really Fast,, at first[:-] Then when you get the hang of Driving and Tuning and Still have that Need For Speed go for the Faster Stuff like the Hydro's.

R\C Hydro's, like their Big Sisters are built for 1 main purpose,,, SPEED[>:] which Of Course means Racing and getting around A Track as Fast as Possible. Which is why their built to turn Mainly 1 direction.

As far as Handling Chop it really depends on the Set Up and the Driver. Like ANY Other boat you Must Slow Down in Adverse Conditions, they Will handle as much chop as a Mono or Cat "Of The Same Size" IF the Driver Can Handle It.... But they Are the Funnest and Fastest when pond conditions are Calmer.

If your In To Speed the Hydro's handle at Top Speed's better than anything else on the water,, Especially when you get into the Riggers. How Fast they go depends A Lot on Your Mechanical Ability, but also on The Quality and Set Up of the Boat\Engine. If all your capable of is Running Stock RTR Boats then Low to Mid 30 mph range is what you can expect,, Which will SEEM Fast at first.. But with the right mods they Can Run Well Over 40mph and up into the 50's,,[X(],, IF Your That Good[8D]
Old 01-20-2012, 05:30 PM
steed2-inactive

Now Im am thinking about just getting a spartan. I really wanted something different, but can seem to find anything comparable performance wise, with the same price. I ran my Dads last year alot after traxxas repaired it, and with the castle system, and running the 3s lipo packs, it was really nice to drive, with good power, nice handling, and nice looks to boot. Its also a large boat when compared to the other manufacturers in this price range. Running the stock packs, was pretty slow but i already have lipo's from my trucks. My mechanical skills are great. My original plan was to buy a small used electric hull, and modify a nitro bigblock engine in it. I have a line on a shockwave 26rs for 70 dollars, but the guy hasnt responded. i am really up in the air as to what to do.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:39 AM
amax

The smaller RTR nitro boats won't impress you much with a Big Block in em, It Can Be Done,,, BUT you will spend A Lot of time Retriving It, Tweaking\Tuning, and Scratching your head,, LOL.. The Hulls just aren't built well enough to handel well at Top Seeds. I would suggest you think about [link=http://www.aircapitolhobbies.com/Plans_and_Info.html]Building a Wildting Mono[/link] and set it up How You want it,, You will end up Much Happier if your wanting Big Block Performance\Handeling.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:18 PM
advanced builder

I read some good information, guys. I see a Motley Crew run pretty decent. But I know little about RTR.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Hydro Junkie

I have to agree with building something from plans. You will get a better boat with what you want in it rather than a plastic or poorly layed up FG hull with questionable hardware and electronics. It is for this very reason that I have never wasted my time or money on a RTR. I know others will say this boat or that is great, for example the Pro Boat Budweiser and it's recolored siblings that some just raved over that would be blown out of the water by a properly built kit or, better still, plan built boat
Old 01-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Jerry Dunlap

As much as I love to build boats, and I've probably build at least a couple of hundred or more and have many model boat plans published in model magazines, building from plans is not all that easy. There are several challenges just to get started.

1. Cutting plywood greater than 1/32 or 1/16 is going to require a good jig saw. Not sure what I paid for my Dremel, but seems like it was more than $100.

2. You just cannot go down to your local Lowe's or Home Depot and get the plywood needed for a plan built boat.

3. Throw in clamps and a few other building tools and your investment is increasing.

4. Many folks don't have an area that would be suitable for building a wood boat.

5. Building from plans is time consuming - HJ you can definitely attest to that.

JD

Old 01-23-2012, 11:45 PM
Hydro Junkie

You've known me to long JD
JD does have some valid points on the drawbacks of building from plans:
1) The cost of tools, if needed, can be very high depending on the brand and type of tools purchased.
2) Buying a quality plywood can be problematic since box/hardware store plywoods tend to have voids in the middle plys as well as fewer and softer plys.
3) For those that live in an apartment, building a boat may not be an option due to tool noise, dust and space.

With that all said, I built my first boat, a Dumas sport 20 Pay'N Pak kit, with nothing more than a set of Exacto knives, four Exacto clamps and some wood blocks wrapped with sandpaper in a four person room in a Navy training command barracks in Millington Tennessee. The boat was no where close to where I wanted it to be as far as fit and finish, but it did float and it did run and that was a win for me. I guess that kind of goes along with the old saying "Where there's a will there's a way"
Old 01-24-2012, 09:31 AM
amax

Those are valid points to consider, and If someone just wanted something to get on the water and Play with Quick and Easy,, the RTR's are the way to go,,, BUT,,,

My mechanical skills are great. My original plan was to buy a small used electric hull, and modify a nitro big block engine in it. I have a line on a shockwave 26rs for 70 dollars, but the guy hasn't responded. i am really up in the air as to what to do.
The ONLY RTR I can think of, That I would recommend for a Modified Big Block, would be the SW36, and it's still not gonna handle very well at much over "Stock" Speeds, so it Will Need more than a Little Modification.
If you consider the Skills, Tools, Materials, Upgraded Hardware, Space, etc.. needed to Modify, Then Repaint so it doesn't look Butt Ugly[&:] You might as well have Built a Wild Thing from plans and wound up with a Better Boat,, IMO.