Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Nitro Vee Steering Problems

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Nitro Vee Steering Problems

Old 09-02-2003, 02:07 PM
NitroNI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Vee Steering Problems

I recently purchased a Traxxas nitro vee .15 and am having problems with the steering system. after a few seconds of right steering the boat will suddenly jerk to the right very suddenly, usually making it do a violent 90 degree turn which sometimes ends up as a bad spin out. Left turning has no problems, but when i turn right and let go of the steering stick the boat naturally veers right, i then adjust the trim to make the boat go straight. this fixes the problem until i turn left and let the stick go, after that the boat naturally steers itself left making me have to adjust the trim again. Im wondering if anyone could shed some light on how to fix these two problems.

Thanx
Old 09-02-2003, 02:20 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does this boat have an adjustable strut? On the strieght a way how is it running? wet, bow down or up.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:04 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Check your linkage for any binding. It could be a servo acting up. What one is in there? It could have gotten wet or stripped the gears.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:11 PM
NitroNI

ive tried adjusting the trim on the prop, it makes no difference, apart from taking different lengths of time to get on the plane.

the servo is the traxxas servo that came with it, ill try another servo and see what happens!

cheers
Old 09-04-2003, 01:52 AM
TTKarl

I have heard of this problem before and have only experienced it once with mine causing it to flip. From what I understand it's due to the improper positioning of the the turn fin and can be fixed be removing it a adding to smaller turn fins to each side. Check out http://www.pirespreto.com/traxxas.htm they mention it. Since I put the turn fins of mine it hasn't done it since.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:54 PM
evlwevl-RCU

Default RE: Nitro Vee Steering Problems

Hello,
I've had those same problems with my nitro vee since day one. I dont think there is too much you can do outside of a few minor modifications. Part of the problem is that the prop shaft swivels and pushes the rear of the boat out as it turns which promotes spinouts at full speed. I usually slow down while turning right to avoid the spinout which usually fills the hull with water.

You will notice that most of your high performance boats have solid prop shaft and the rudder moves which seems to be a more stable setup. The Nitro Vee will always turn better left then right unless you added an extra turn fin on the opposite side possibly. If you want to improve a few small things to make the boat pick up speed and turning capabilities, follow the suggestions of that link in the prior reply and take a look at how I made a new turn fin and bent it to a perpendicular position on the right side of the boat. Also added a metal prop and an MIP Stinger exaust which makes it sound sweet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58517.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	60697  
Old 09-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Nocturnal

I removed the stock fin from my Nitro Vee. and installed two metal fins. For one thing the stock fin is positioned wrong. It's supposed to be angled 90 deg to the bottom of the boat. The result of the upgrade is that turning is smoother and tighter, and it prevents spin outs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45650.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	319818  
Old 09-05-2005, 11:18 AM
iluzhun

check to see that the servo horn is not stripped and moving on the servo at extreme left/right position.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:27 PM
Charles58

Default My Nitro Vee motor stuck in GO mode

My Nitro Vee boat is always in go mode even when I don’t have it in go forward on the remote. It have it in idle mode but the boat is in go mode. Anyone have any suggestions or tips on how I can fix the problem?

thanks
charles.