Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Tuning Nitro Engine in boat???

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Tuning Nitro Engine in boat???

Old 06-10-2012, 07:33 AM
EuroXS4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning Nitro Engine in boat???

Hey guys So I picked up a kyosho jetstream 1000 today runs but im assuming it's running lean.I see no smoke out of the exhaust and bogs after gets up to temp at full throttle.Anyone the guide liens on how to properly tune my nitro engine in the boat???For instance when coming back to shore today it died but floated towards me so no biggie.But I want to tune it so it doesnt stall.Any ideas??or links where I can find the information on how to tune it properly???
Old 06-10-2012, 02:12 PM
HendricX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tuning Nitro Engine in boat???

Unscrew the main-needle till with throttle full open , engine is sputtering.

Step yourself into the water , hold boat between the knees,

screw needle back in untill it's screeming , unscrew again about 1/4 turn , and let the boat go.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:32 PM
EuroXS4

Main needle meaning the high speed needle??There are 2 needles on this engine.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

The second needle is a low speed needle. You need to get the HSN in the ballpark before you start trying to adjust the LSN. Not sure if I can agree with HendricX on holding the boat between the knees with the engine at full throttle or not but that is one way to get into the ballpark on the HSN adjustment. Depending on how the boat runs after that, you may need to go slightly richer or leaner on a second run and then, if it's running good, look at the LSN
Old 06-11-2012, 05:02 AM
amax

First you need to BREAK The Engine In by running a half dozen tanks of fuel through it a bit on the Rich Side, starting off 1\4 throttle only on the first tank, 1\2 on the second etc.. after you get 4 or 5 tanks through it start leaning it out 1\8 turn on the HSN at a time and run a couple laps until the temp at the glow plug starts hitting between 150*F and 180*F. If you start cooking glow plugs each run your To Lean, if the glow plug comes in WET your to rich.
Never run it Full Throttle out of the water.
Depending on What Brand fuel your running when Dialed in you won't see A Lot of smoke as many run a High % of Synthetic Oil which tends to Burn off during combustion, and some use whats called Smokeless or Ashless Synthetic Oil which will smoke even less.
Personally I think holding it between your knees is a Bad Idea, especially for a Newbie. Not only is it extremely Unsafe but you don't get the proper Load on the prop that way, the Only Way to Dial one in IMO is Run It and Tweak It.

If you don't have a Pick Up boat get a Tennis Ball and a 6ft or better Fishing Poll and attach the ball to the line it make a pretty good retrieval system.