Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

pro boatthunder cat

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

pro boatthunder cat

Old 06-13-2012, 09:24 PM
mike908

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pro boatthunder cat

i am having troble tuning the thunder cat i can get it to idle around for as long as i want but once i start to hit the throttle it dies in 20 seconds, ive read that there is a common problem with a fuel tank but mine seems fine and i also read in the manual that there are some head shims that need to be taken out after breaking in which i think ive broken it in sence ive ran one gallon of fuel through it and i am using the right glow plug and fuel says the guy out at the hobby shop but any other tips would be greatly appperciated
Old 06-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: pro boatthunder cat

FRESH MEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Sorry, I just saw you are new here. First off, welcome to the forum. You will find lots of people that can help you out as well as many opinions on how to do things. Some things you read have to be taken with a grain of salt so don't be afraid to ask follow up questions. In the meantime, to help you out, we need more information on what you're actually dealing with. Many have found that the guy behind the counter doesn't know any more than you and follow a shop owners script. That being said, we need to know the following information th help you:
What fuel are you using, include nitro and oil content
Which motor is in the boat for those that aren't familiar with your boat
What glow plug are you using
What is your pipe length set at
Have you removed any shims under the head and if so, how thick are they
What maintenance have you performed to the drive shaft
Are you using the stock prop or something aftermarket

All of these play a factor in getting your boat to run. It also gives us a place to start from as we can't see your boat or know what you have done to it
Old 06-14-2012, 08:29 AM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

FRESH MEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Sorry, I just saw you are new here. First off, welcome to the forum. You will find lots of people that can help you out as well as many opinions on how to do things. Some things you read have to be taken with a grain of salt so don't be afraid to ask follow up questions. In the meantime, to help you out, we need more information on what you're actually dealing with. Many have found that the guy behind the counter doesn't know any more than you and follow a shop owners script. That being said, we need to know the following information th help you:
What fuel are you using, include nitro and oil content
Which motor is in the boat for those that aren't familiar with your boat
What glow plug are you using
What is your pipe length set at
Have you removed any shims under the head and if so, how thick are they
What maintenance have you performed to the drive shaft
Are you using the stock prop or something aftermarket

All of these play a factor in getting your boat to run. It also gives us a place to start from as we can't see your boat or know what you have done to it
Like HJ said more imfo,please
Old 06-14-2012, 12:43 PM
mike908

I am using 20% nitro fuel, the stock glow plug, it is a .32 dynamite marine, i have not removed any head shims and don't know how so i don't know how thick they are, i don't know what the pipe length is, I'm using the stock prop, and i grease the flex shaft after every run
Old 06-14-2012, 08:02 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Remove the 4 bolts from the cooling head and the shims will be in there, either on the top of the sleeve or around the combustion chamber.
ProBoat did have problems with the fuel tanks and fuel line fitting on the tank plus leakage around the cap.
To be honest, I think that the problem is that it's simply running too lean. If it revs quickly, it's lean. It should have a slight lag when blipping the throttle.
If your fuel is 20% car fuel, that needs to go and needs some made for boats or at the least, 20% Heli fuel as it has a higher oil content.
Don't worry about pipe length right now as we want to get you running well first.
The stock Prather prop well........., sucks. An Octura M-445 is what we found that runs really well on this boat but a Zippkits 444 is another option.
Glow plug; I run McCoy MC-9's in all of my nitro boats. I've got some O'Donnell's but haven't tried them yet but have heard very good things about them.
OK, like HJ typed, most hobby shop employees don't know diddly-squat about boats and they're going to try to unload whatever they have on their shelves. There are only a few good LHS's in your area, one of the best ones is up in Saginaw for boaters but should be a few in the greater Big D area.
If all else fails, drive 150 miles west on I-94 as I'm hitting the lake Saturday morning.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Hydro Junkie

I like it, Ron actually agreed with me
I did ask for oil content and, since that wasn't given, I'd be willing to bet he has car fuel. Leave it to Ron to look for someone to run with
Old 06-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Ron Olson

Oh yeah, once in a while we tend to do that!
What kills the performance of the boat isn't really the tuned pipe length as much as the header blocking off a lot of the exhaust flow at the block putting a strangle-hold on it there. The "Sport" carb sure doesn't help matters either, like trying to run while breathing through a straw.
I know a guy down in Hobart, Indiana that wants to come up here and run sometime. That's about a 120 mile drive but he's a little crazy anyway. I'll be there in September but that's at the Hobart Indy Masters race for 4 days.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Hydro Junkie

Still not as bad as me, driving from Seattle to Detroit, up to Frankenmuth and then down to Madison Indiana, a round trip from there to Sellersburg Indiana for a fun run and then driving back home last summer. Can we say almost 6,000 miles all told? If 120 miles makes your friend a little crazy, what does my trip make me Ron?
Old 06-15-2012, 04:56 AM
Ron Olson

You kinda answered that one yourself!
You failed to mention all of the other things that you did along the way so you did make it more than just a big loop. I remember the late-night phone call after you had already driven past my house and were settling in for the night in Paw Paw.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:45 AM
Hydro Junkie

But that was March before last on MY FIRST TRIP to Detroit. I also remember eating at a steak house on the business route in "the Zoo" as well, but then again, I didn't bring a boat on that trip[X(]
Old 06-15-2012, 07:16 AM
Ron Olson

OK, back on track.
My buddy who owned the TC-31 that we did the testing on placed an 8oz. Sullivan fuel tank in the right rear sponson of his boat but left the stock one in place as it cured 2 problems, one with the tank and it also moved the CG further back. For a few bucks it's worth a shot.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:33 AM
amax

Is the engine Broke In Yet.. How much fuel have you burned in it?
Have you adjusted the (HSN)High Speed Needle ANY? How many turns Out is it Now? Is the O-ring around the HSN intact?
When your in the water and give it gas does it take off Quick or Lag a bit?
Is the Prop Sharpened & Balanced or Like it came Stock?
Old 06-17-2012, 06:38 AM
Ron Olson

If you go through the TC-31 thread (yup, there's a lot of reading there!) the main carb problem seems to be that the low-speed needle is way off from the factory. I really hate to mess with that one but it might have to be done.