Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Tiger Outboard Newbie Questions

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thunder Tiger Outboard Newbie Questions

Old 10-06-2012, 07:09 PM
mopardale440

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger Outboard Newbie Questions

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum world and just now getting back into the RC hobby after a 30 year hiatus. My how things have changed.Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I just purchased a Thunder Tiger PRO-21M-OB model # 9568 and have a couple of questions about lubrication for the gear set in the lower unit. After reading the lubricating section of the operating instructions I was left unsure about 2 things:
1) What is the recommended type of grease for the gearbox?
2) The picture in the instructions points to the pressure port (which screws into the exhaust chamber / muffler) as the grease inlet, how does grease injected into this port get to the gearbox?
My thought was that any grease injected into this port would be pushed back into the fuel tank as the engine is running through the fuel pressure line after it is reconnected. This is the first outboard I have used with helical gears and I want to make sure I keep them lubricated properly and not burn them up. I completely understand the instructions for removing the propeller shaft and flex shaft for lubricating with grease as this is standard with all brands that use a flex shaft. I am looking forward to using my new outboard, but I want to be sure about these things and break it in correctly. I have used K&B outboards in the past sucessfully but as you know, they don't have gears in the lower unit. The link to their manual is below.

http://manuals.hobbico.com/ttr/ttrg0121-0122-manual.pdf

Thanks in advance for any help.
Dale

Old 10-09-2012, 03:55 PM
mopardale440

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Tiger Outboard Newbie Questions

Actually, nevermind. I answered my own question. The manual in my opinion is printed wrong.  The photo in the manual indicates to inject grease into the fuel pressure port (shown by an arrow on diagram) to lube the gearbox however, I have found the correct hole in which to inject the grease is the hole up and to the right of the fuel pressure port. If you look into the hole with a flashlight and turn the crank, you can see the gear set moving.  Hope this helps someone else even though no one replied to my original post.