Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

got One more Hot Shot...

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

got One more Hot Shot...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 06:48 PM
308jockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got One more Hot Shot...

I just got the last Hot Shot I was after today. It's from the estate of one of our club members who passed away last spring, the same place I picked up several other engines. This one is a Hot Shot Sprint. It came complete but not having been run in several years. I had earlier purchased a K&B 7.5 outboard and thought this was the hull that went with it. Imagine my suprise when I saw it this morning with another 7.5 on it. One is good but two is better. I found it interesting that although it is 7.5 powered it is only about 3 inches longer and slightly narrower than my Hot Shot .21s. It's all wood but not much heavier than the .21s either. I recall it being pretty speedy. It came with some decent analog servos which will likely stay, a Hitec rx which will also probably stay since it is a frequency I have, and a very old nicad stuffed in the nose. Don, was a superb craftsman and had it all installed very neatly. This entire boat is beautifully done. It took 20 minutes to get the radio box cover off as the foam tape and turned solid and was not inclined to let go. This boat reminds me of something someone had been stored away in a garage about 10 years ago and never touched and that is really what it is. Paint is old but in decent shape, no structural problems just a lot of old foam and batteries and little things that need replacing. What can I expect for $40 which what we paid for it.I think I'll fix all those things but otherwise leave it as is. I hope to run this and the .21s by middle of next week and then take them to run at Hodges that Saturday with some SOWEGA members. Some photos are attached and I won't make this a long thread. Definitely the last boat I'm going to put together for now. Getting tired of working on them and want to go burn some fuel.

Rick H.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13185.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	1838695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90035.jpg
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	1838696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71189.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	1838697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58464.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	1838698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr92826.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	1838699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq95903.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1838700  
Old 01-15-2013, 07:12 PM
308jockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: got One more Hot Shot...

Well having seen no response at all, I've got this one finished too. The engine was and adventure. totally locked up I got things turning with some penetrating oil and a small wrench. Too much old engine oil, I think it was just put up one day after running and left there. The carb barrel was also locked tight and proved to be tougher to get free. Oil and soaking in alcohol and laquer thinner proved useless. Thirty minutes at a fairly low temp in the oven did the trick though. Back to the laquer thinner and everything cleaned up quickly. Got the servos back in but had to change the battery which didn't suprise me, and the reciever, which did a little. Otherwise this boat didn't need much work. It fired up quickly today so I took it down to the pond and holy crap!! This thing was fast as hell, caught me by suprise! And on 10% Omega! Almost too fast for the five acre pond we were running in. I imagine I'll get used to it. One of the steering cables came loose and I kind of had to hobble it back to shore but made it ok. Very pleased with this boat so far. The radio box stayed dry, in fact no water anywhere there shouldn't have been. We'll be taking it to Hodges Saturday to run with some SOWEGA members and get some tips and burn more fuel. I hope to get some photos of it in the water which I couldn't do today since I was driving. Instead I have a few of this boat by itself and alongside the two .21 HotShots I just refinished.

Rick H.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65021.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	1840991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18633.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	1840992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16613.jpg