Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

given a boat, need radio

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

given a boat, need radio

Old 05-01-2013, 06:27 AM
matty longwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default given a boat, need radio

I was recently given a nitro catamaran. It is like new and seems to only need a radio and receiver to complete the set up. I have a few questions:
1. I see the need for throttle and rubber control. Will a 2 channel radio work?
2. I have RC car and plane experience, but this is the biggest nitro engine I have seen. Will I need a bigger glow plug to fit compared to a .60 rossi plane engine?
3.fuel type?
I can post pics if this would help.
Thanks!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:30 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: given a boat, need radio

We will need more information on your boat. Things like engine manufacturer and size, for starters, would be a big help
Old 05-01-2013, 08:47 AM
amax

Engine Size would help but.
Plugs will be the same Demensions but probably a lower heat range depending on what %nitro & %oil you use. The larger engines do well on 30% to 40% nitro and around 16% to 18% oil if your just Playin on The Pond.
Radio will work with only 2 channels if there is no Fuel Mixture valve in the Fuel line going from the tank to the carb. But a third channel Mixture Valve would be prefered on the larger engines as it makes it easier to dial it in.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:02 AM
advanced builder

Yes a 2 channel radio FM will work Or the newer 2.4 ghz radio,no crystals I have had very good luck with Skyfly 2.4 ghz A AM radio system is airplane you need surface FM radio.
3 + years running no problems fuel can be ordered thew any hobby shop You need boat fuel. Why not airplane/buggy fuel added oils are in boat fuel.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html
Old 05-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

There aren't too many nitro Cat's around, mostly Aeromarine's and AC Model Boats but just as a guess I'd shoot for the first one.
The radio system would be your preference if you want to use a stick or pistol-grip. An FM or 2.4 Gig radio is your best bet as you can get both for good prices.
Yes, the engine size will dictate which fuel is best for it. Smaller ones love high nitro where bigger ones use less nitro.

Pictures please as we like them to see what you're dealing with. They're easier to upload on this site if you click on "Reply" in the upper right-hand corner of for instance this posting here.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:59 AM
matty longwood

thank you guys for taking the time to respond. I am going to post a new thread on this so I can upload photos and be more descriptive. I am having a difficult time uploading pictures to this thread. I will include a more grand description of my situation as well. I will title it " new boat need assistance"

I very much appreciate you folks helping me out so quickly. I had no idea how informative forums can be.

Jeff
Old 05-03-2013, 03:41 AM
matty longwood

FUrther update:
I am listing my new thread in the "Gas powered RC boats forum" as I believe this boat is actually gas powered and not nitro. 

Thank you all again for reviewing my information.

Jeff