Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Robbe Diablo + Nitro Engine ????

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Robbe Diablo + Nitro Engine ????

Old 09-20-2003, 06:30 PM
-=proximo=-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robbe Diablo + Nitro Engine ????

Hi,

I have just bought a Robbe Diablo boat - an almost 1 meter in length boat. The only things that are in the boat are the propeller, the finns to stear, cooling equipment for an electrical engine and gearing.

I have 2 nitro cars (a T-Maxx and a HPI Nitro MT). Whith the HPI which I bought as used - I got 3 ekstra brand new wngines in different sizes.

The smalles one is a HPI FE 15 Nitro Star
The middle size is an Alps (looks a little bigger then the FE 15, but I don't know exactly the model name since it doesn't say on the engine).
The biggest I got is a ECO engine - I got some Robbe papers on that engine : 3.5cc, ca. 1.2BHP (0.9kW), 3000-28000 rpm.

Now - could someone tell me to begin with - if the boat can handle a nitro engine or will it fall apart or be unstable, etc....

Which engine should I put in the boat ? Of course - the bigger the engine the bigger fun but if the FE 15 is big enough for a boat for that size - it would be more fun to have the boat runing a little more time since a smaller engine doesn't use as much fuel.

I'm not going to race with others with the boat - Just race it myself.

Other questions :

I have been checking the internet for some solutions on the air intake problem and cooling solution and havn't found any.

Does the air intake have to be outside the boat or is it inside the inner part ? Isn't the inner part watter proof ? Are the any filters that I should buy so no water would be sucked in the air filter ? How do you guys solve the air problem when a boat turns buttom up ? doesn't it suck water in throuh the air filter ?

The engines that I have are all air cooled. Is it possble to buy a new head cooler unit that cools with water ? I haven't been able to find anywhere where they sell them. The same goes for the watter pump to cool the engine.

Pictures of the boat : http://www.k-d-s.dk/files/Diablo

Please check out the pictures link - do I need a water pump to cool the engine if the engine cooling system is build like on the picture ? I guess that I need one since a nitro engine is running all the time and need to be cooled even if the boat isn't sailing (the el. engine doesn't rotate if it's stopped and therefore doesn't need to be cooled when "idle". But I would like you comments.

The guy I bought the boat from - made some "homemade" gearing in the boat. Should I use it or take it out and mount the propeller diorectly the the engines cludge (I'm not sure how to spell it).

Any suggestions are very welcome and apreated.

Thanx in advance.
Old 09-20-2003, 07:07 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Robbe Diablo + Nitro Engine ????

Thats a lot to reply to..... If you are running a air cooled engine you need to make sure that it is getting plenty air to cool it. If you get a marine engine that is water cooled you will need a water pick up, rudders with the pick ups work the best. Air filters you do not need since it is not likly to have dust while running in the water. I would also make it a direct drive system(less to go wrong). If your boat happens to go belly up, don't worry about the engine, just remove the glow plug spin it over to remove all of the water, install the plug start it and go again. The radio system needs to be protected from any moisture. Also adding some flotation will help from sinking.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:11 PM
-=proximo=-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your suggestions.

The boat has water pick up - not in the rudders but close : here is a picture : http://www.k-d-s.dk/files/Diablo/Res...Diabolo-03.jpg

These should work just as well I think.

But want I need a water pump too ? When the boat doesn't go fast the water pick up will not pick up water and the engine will not be cooled.

And the marine engines aren't that different from the car nitro engine. It's only yhe coller head that is different - or am I mistaken ?

One again - thanks for your reply.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:42 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that you will moving too slow, you'll want speed. I have never used a water pump, but it does not take all that much speed to get the water to the head.