Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Newbie - Nitro - in Connecticut ?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Newbie - Nitro - in Connecticut ?

Old 09-21-2003, 10:42 AM
VolkerCT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie - Nitro - in Connecticut ?

Hi,

I'm new to the hobby, totally new. No serious R/C experience whatsoever.
I was looking into R/C boating for a while... read a lot of articles here on the board, magazines etc.
I walked into a LHS on Friday, with the idea of asking for places where the locals meet with their boats so I could observe and learn... obviously not much of a scene in my area but I left with a Miss Budweiser 1/12.
Ok, ok, it wasn't really planned to happen that way. After all I read here about Nitros in general and about Miss Bud in detail I got kinda idea that RTR not always means RTR.
But she looked just to good
So I already made plans for what to take care of before letting her into the water the very first time, and thanks to you guys here I still have the feeling I can handle it. Even if the idea of drilling a hole into the hull for an auto bailer kinda hurts, after all, this baby is brand new
But one problem still remains... I have no idea where to run her.
I know, I know, I should have thought about it before...

Ok, foreplay over, my question:
Are there any locals from CT on this board who could tell me where to run Nitros and where you usually meet?

I'm living at the shore line near New Haven but any place in an hour distance would be fine. I have the sea closeby but somehow don't thing I should start my hobby on Long Island Sound.Pond-size sounds more reasonable to me.

Would be great if someone could give me advice.

Thanks,
Volker
Old 10-02-2003, 06:52 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newbie - Nitro - in Connecticut ?

Volker,
The Greater Hartford Model Boat Club is alive and well in the Hartford area. We have our club events at Mansfield Hollow State Park off of route 195 just south of the University of Connecticut in Storrs CT. We recently had our annual NAMBA District 11 Championship points race. Brought in 64 boats from New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and of course Connecticut. Our last outing for this season is on October 12. We typically start activities at 9AM and go till we can't stand the fun anymore. Usually around 1 to 2 PM. If you are interested, stop by. The club is well equipped with a race course, electronics count down starting clock, boat and an outboard motor (NO ROWING!). We'd be happy to get you started and lend any assistance you require.

I'll keep an eye on this post for your reply.