Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

New member here!

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

New member here!

Old 06-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Hydro51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member here!

Hello fellow hobbyist, name's Mark. I just joined the forum after recently obtaining my first nitro hydro formula for cheap! It's a Vantex 700mm hydro formula with a vertex .18 and i recently put a sullivan tiger drive on it.. I hope to become friends and learn a lot from fellow hydro owners and all the members on here. I also have an Ofna 1/8th scale buggy that originally started as an LX-1, but after thrashing the original chassis, i upgraded to a few LX-2 parts. There's pics of both the buggy and the hydro formula in my profile.

My first question is, turn fins? My hydro carries it's speed better turning right, so which sponson would i put the turn fin on? Also a reference to the right size fin for my scale of hydro would great to. Thanks in advance for any and all respones!!
Old 06-28-2013, 09:16 PM
Hydro51

Default RE: New member here!

http://youtu.be/nhVqwp5qW-c
Old 06-29-2013, 06:07 AM
Hydro51

Nobody has any advise on turn fin sizes and installation???
Old 06-29-2013, 08:14 AM
parshallboatworks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hydro51

Nobody has any advise on turn fin sizes and installation???
HI Hydro51!! welcome aboard!! this is a great place for info and to chat about our great hobby... Takes a bit to figure it out tho.. On a r/c hydro the turn fin is allways on the right side sponson.. in racing we go fast and turn right,usually now days, a curved fin (curving towards center) helps really hook up in a high speed right hand turn.. BUT on a hard left turn boat will want to eject from water and at high speeds it WILL be interesting!! There is a bunch of knowledgeable folks on this forum on the title RE:Central NY boaters.. 150 pages or so of rigger,hydro,mono,and cat talk .. Friendly group of guys and gals allways willing to share the knowledge.. as far as scale size of fins,the newer hydros are using curved turn fins also but full scale boats turn left so it is on left sponson... there are several companies who sell parts etc (www.zippkits.com and gizmo motors.com are pretty popular) Jims R/C boat dock is another forum and International Waters are both all boats but need registration to get on and can take a few days or longer to be accepted... they are free... and an incredible amount of info.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:22 AM
parshallboatworks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zippkits has a nice selection and great prices.. they have turn fins listed by engine size. also Joe Petro (zippkits) has awesome customer service!!! Good luck with the hydro and look forward to seeing you around here in future!! Dont be shy,ask questions and someone will awnser.. A forum with lots of posts is a good sign that people are talking... I have one in fast gas about my Bullitt hydro and have had some great input.. central ny boaters is usually busy too..
Old 06-29-2013, 08:40 AM
advanced builder

Props Octura 438 440 -2 or 3 blade. your choice. Joe's small 12 -18 size turn fin is a good one. Joe's Props 438 440 http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index....roducts_id=227
Old 06-29-2013, 12:55 PM
Hydro51

Thanks for the responses and references guys!

About half way through the 3rd tank the last time i was on the water, she twisted a blade off the prop, it had a nylon prop on it when i got a hold of it.  This is the prop i ordered and am waiting for it to arrive: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...767626257.html
Old 06-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Hydro51

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

Props Octura 438 440 -or 3 blade. your choice. Joe's small 12 -18 size turn fin is a good one. Joe's Props 438 440 http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index....roducts_id=227
I was just checking out that site last night and the turn fins they offer, i'd like to put one on it before the next time i run it and see how it handles.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:03 PM
advanced builder

got a pic of the transom 4 mm is not usually used on 3/16" dia cable end. Cables are .125 .150 .187 going into a 3/16 shaft .250 usually go into a 1/4 shaft ,gas hulls or even .67 nitro engines with a stepdown to 3/16 shaft I kinda like this site ,it's electric site but props are props http://kintecracing.com/
Old 06-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Hydro51

This boat has a solid 4MM shaft all the way to the universal joint at the motor. I pulled the shaft the last time i had the motor out just to check things out and was surprised it doesn't have a flex cable inside of a sleeve like most other setups i've researched since i got my hands on this boat. Don't mind the crack, i purchased this boat for 40 bucks and have less than what it costs brand new invested in it so far.

http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/Ul...ml?sort=2&o=14
Old 06-29-2013, 02:00 PM
advanced builder

send out a email and ask if he has props for 4mm dia shaft . Not much adjustments to that strut setup. good luck
Old 06-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Hydro51

I checked out his site, it shows he has a couple for a 4MM shaft, but i'm gonna wait and see how it does with the one i purchased off aliexpress when it gets here before buying anything else. It's a 37MM, 1.4p for a 4MM shaft, i posted the link to the one i purchased in my previous post.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:23 AM
joeykang2008

Run away from this place I have been here for years I ask 1 question and get flamed so look but go somewhere else to ask anything rcgroups is a lot nicer for asking anything.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:14 AM
Hydro51

ORIGINAL: joeykang2008

Run away from this place I have been here for years I ask 1 question and get flamed so look but go somewhere else to ask anything rcgroups is a lot nicer for asking anything.
My exsperience here has been good so far.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:10 PM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Hydro51

ORIGINAL: joeykang2008

My exsperience here has been good so far.

glad to hear that. Call Octura and tell them your looking to buy a few props and they will send you a catalog FREE. 847-674-7351 they do business the old school way snail mail
Old 06-30-2013, 06:28 PM
Blackout

Yup, you can buy direct from Octura, you just need to send them a check. But, they ship as soon as they get your check. There props are raw, so some need a lot of balancing and sharpening. The Zippkit props are pretty much ready to race.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Blackout

Oh yah, the Aquacraft Grimracer prop balancer is a pretty good one. That is what I use.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Hydro51

ORIGINAL: Blackout

Oh yah, the Aquacraft Grimracer prop balancer is a pretty good one. That is what I use.
Yeah, i'll look into to getting that catalog from octura. As far as balancing props, i have no exsperience with that, this is my first boat and i'll be looking for props that i don't need to balance. Maybe just polish a bit and see how they run.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

You can also contact Mark Sholund at Props-4 U. He sells, preps and mods props, does very nice work. Here's his website:
http://www.props4u.com/
Old 07-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Hydro51

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

You can also contact Mark Sholund at Props-4 U. He sells, preps and mods props, does very nice work. Here's his website:
http://www.props4u.com/
Thanks for the reference, i'll definitely check that site out!