Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

K&B 7.5 OB stalls in water

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

K&B 7.5 OB stalls in water

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 07:48 PM
fmimages

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&B 7.5 OB stalls in water

I have had this motor for quite a while but now a new problem has occurred. I am not sure whether is is a crankshaft problem or piston sleeve problem. This motor is a 8702 early outboard and no parts are available on K&B. All my bearings are good. There is no slop. I have a little play in the up and down movement by pulling on the flywheel but it is minimal. There is scuff marks on the crankshaft as viewed by taking off the carburetor. I had it running real good a few years ago but now no matter where the high speed needle is every time I drop it in the water it stops running. I have a newer fresher motor but the PTO bearings are rough and it spews out fuel at the bottom. I just ordered two sets but I like to take it out and run it once in a while.of bearings for it and it runs real good. The boat is a Prather LapCat Two. I know its all old but I like to run it once in a while. The prop is an Octura 447 and freshly sharpened and balanced. I'd like to keep it running. The low speed needle has a new o-ring as well as the carburetor body. I've run out of ideas for this motor. .
Old 08-27-2013, 06:14 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Try calling Gary Preusse at 630-279-2451. He may have some parts for your engine plus can tell you what it needs. He's in the Chicago area. Tell him about the scuffing on the crank. K&B made at least 3 versions of the 7.5 so it's good that you know the model number as some parts won't interchange.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:13 AM
fmimages

Thanks for your reply. I haven't been too consistent in running this boat. I'll give a call as soon as I can. I'm hoping that when I receive the new PTO bearings and I take it out that the leaking fuel goes away from the base of the motor.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Ron Olson

Gary's good with K&B engines. He is old-school so he doesn't have a website as usually he's busy enough without one. I've always found that the phone call is worth it even when I had to pay for a long-distance call. I know that he recently got a big batch of K&B 7.5 parts in. K&B/MECOA is touch-and-go on them.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:32 AM
fmimages

Thanks, I gave a call and now I have somebody I can get some parts for the K&B outboard. Got my new PTO bearings in and now I need to find someone to help throw it in the water. It seems the bearing on top was rough while the bearing facing the shaft was still good.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Ron Olson

Good, you kind of got lucky there as usually the PTO bearings go.
I haven't run OB tunnels in a long time but Gary was my go-to guy back then. I still order hardware from him though as he also is a dealer for Speedmaster, Hi-tec, Octura, some Aeromarine hardware and no telling what else he has around the house. He'll probably ship your order out tomorrow as he should be heading to the Indy Masters race in Hobart, IN on Wednesday with Jerry Dunlap in tow.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:39 AM
fmimages

The PTO bearing exchange went real smooth and the bearings from RC Bearings looks like an improvement. The boat runs real good now. It's the little things that makes it run properly.