Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Safe paint stripper on fiberglass?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Safe paint stripper on fiberglass?

Old 01-31-2014, 06:26 AM
302CJ7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe paint stripper on fiberglass?

Anyone ever try oven cleaner or Kleenstrip on your old paint jobs on your fiberglass boats? I have mine mostly stripped down to the fiberglass but there are some tight spots where I can't get the sander in there. If you click my gallery, you can see what I'm working with. I'm looking for a chemical stripper that works fast and safe, Thanks.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:09 AM
amax

This will do the trick.
[h=4]Klean-Strip® Aircraft® - Fiberglass Paint Remover. Use it in a Well Ventilated Area you don't mind making a Mess In, and WEAR GLOVES.[/h]
Old 01-31-2014, 10:21 AM
302CJ7

Awesome, Thanks Amax. Nice avatar pic btw.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:46 AM
302CJ7

Got it just about completely stripped down to the fiberglass. I didn't check yet but is wax & grease remobver ok on fiberglass, or should I use something like dish soap to strip any grease off? Thanks

Old 02-05-2014, 10:24 AM
amax

There are Many Brands of Wax and Grease Remover out there. An Alcohol Based cleaner is best because it evaporates away quickest. Water Born cleaner also works you just need to Warm the Hull Up and let it dry Completely. Stay away from any that have an Oil Smell(Petroleum Based) they leave the most residue behind and wont work well with Polyester Resin(Fiberglass).
Old 02-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Whar scares me in that picture is the sander as it can do you more harm than good on an epoxy-glas hull. At the most, use a Scotch-Brite pad as a sander will only open up any air bubbles in the 'glas then you'll be back to filling holes. Some spots on the hull that haven't had all of the paint removed you also might be better off leaving that way then primering before the color coats.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:01 PM
302CJ7

Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
Whar scares me in that picture is the sander as it can do you more harm than good on an epoxy-glas hull. At the most, use a Scotch-Brite pad as a sander will only open up any air bubbles in the 'glas then you'll be back to filling holes. Some spots on the hull that haven't had all of the paint removed you also might be better off leaving that way then primering before the color coats.
I used 150 grit on the sander and all it did was take the paint off slowly, it didn't leave any holes or dig marks. I tried finer than 150 and it was barely even taking the paint off without clogging. I now have the boat completely stripped of paint and the hull is very smooth. I'll be spraying a few coats of primer before paint.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:02 PM
302CJ7

Originally Posted by amax View Post
There are Many Brands of Wax and Grease Remover out there. An Alcohol Based cleaner is best because it evaporates away quickest. Water Born cleaner also works you just need to Warm the Hull Up and let it dry Completely. Stay away from any that have an Oil Smell(Petroleum Based) they leave the most residue behind and wont work well with Polyester Resin(Fiberglass).
Thanks Amax I'll look for one of these.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:34 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I usually don't post what I used to strip paint from fiberglass hulls as I don't know how available it is as I got it at work on the 5-finger discount program! It's called Ethyl acetate and it's good stuff. It'll take off everything so far except for polyurethane's.It'll wipe off the paint wil a paper towel and evaporates quickly but must be done outside.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:09 AM
302CJ7

Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
I usually don't post what I used to strip paint from fiberglass hulls as I don't know how available it is as I got it at work on the 5-finger discount program! It's called Ethyl acetate and it's good stuff. It'll take off everything so far except for polyurethane's.It'll wipe off the paint wil a paper towel and evaporates quickly but must be done outside.
That's good to know Ron. I'll have to try finding some for my next boat resto below.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 92 Likes on 89 Posts

When I stripped my Muck "Circus" hull of all the gelcoat, I used 180 grit sandpaper on a 5" electric DA, worked great. The only problem I had was in one corner between the bottom and sponson inside there was only one layer of FG. I'll have to rework the area before I paint but otherwise it worked well