Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Value of Dumas 55" SCARAB with Twin AMPS Outdrives

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Value of Dumas 55" SCARAB with Twin AMPS Outdrives

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 09:05 AM
WoodDB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value of Dumas 55" SCARAB with Twin AMPS Outdrives

I'd like get some consensus on the value of my boat. I'm trying to decide if I want to rebuild or sell to move to rc planes. Knowing the value will help me decide. Also, I'd like to get some recommendations on the best way to sell. I'd prefer face-to-face but know that maybe easier said than done. Obviously, the classifieds on this site and others is a possibility.

The details:
- Purchased from the original owners son (good friend) in the mid-90's. Both the son and owner stated they never ran it and judging by the condition and knowing the family, I believe this to be true. I've had it storage since and haven't had it on the water.
- The owner of the local hobby shop who sold the boat confirmed that the kit was assembled and test run at the Dumas factory.
- Boat is powered by two OS 61 VF m engines. I blew a piston / rod on one of them when I fired them up for the first time last summer.
- Boat has two AMPS International Outdrives with functioning trim. Both drives rotate smoothly.
- Hull is pristine, Dumas 55" Scarab, non-painted.
- I'd also include the Conquest 4 ch. radio (which I assume is pretty much worthless due to the age), servo's, starter and stand.

(Below: engine two is dissembled w/ bad piston/ rod, that said, all parts, bolts, etc are present. The radio box has a polycarbonate cover which has been removed and set aside to gain access to the servos)
Old 04-14-2014, 09:27 AM
WoodDB

Is there a white elephant in the room that I'm not aware of? Thought I'd get at least a comment or two about the drives since they seem to be somewhat collectable.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:47 PM
rcollector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been collecting IH AMPS stuff for years. Outdrives usually sell on ebay for around 150 each but have seen them go as high as 500 Just depends who is bidding. I'd guess os 65s like that 100-150 each. That hull 100-200 by itself. If you put it up for auction I would guess you would get 500 or so but it could go over a thousand... It is really hard to guess though it just all depends how bad someone wants it. I don't think anyone is answering because it is hard to say....Very nice boat though!
Old 04-14-2014, 06:09 PM
rcguy1411

Ill bite I would say its worth $750.00-$1000.00 drive sell on average $300.00 each hull would sell any where from $100.00 -$300.00 engines with pipes maybe $200.00-$300.00 but as mentioned befor if you get a couple guys who wabt it theb you will get more I could have traded a proboat thunder cat for a similar setup but I passed because I did not know that these were as colectable as they are still kick myself but I do know they ended up in the right hands
Old 04-15-2014, 05:15 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO, I'd sell the drives,engines and hull seperatly.The hull even though not made anymore is the later model Dumas Scarab 38 KV,with the rounded deck.The flat decked ones are more sought after. There are rounded decked ones still flowing around and I know where there are a couple untouched kits,but I'm saving that info for myself in case I want to get another one.I'd probably paint it like the one I had and parted out and sold.The radar arch cracked so I took it off.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bth_Scarab38KV010.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	1987222  
Old 04-15-2014, 06:02 AM
rcollector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree selling it all seperately on ebay would most likely bring the most $
Old 04-15-2014, 02:06 PM
WoodDB

Thanks for the tips. Any of you have first hand experience selling on ebay? I've read that people have been taken for a ride with the new "buyer satisfaction guarantee" which essentially allows the buyer to handle the item and return it with no questions asked after swapping it out for broken/junk parts.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:05 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I really have only sold one non r/c item on Ebay and after their fees and Paypals I didn't make very much.I like selling in the market here, on RC Groups for sale sections and sometimes on Jim's Boat Dock.No hassle,no seller fees,except Paypal and you control the sale.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:06 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

There's 2 people that I know of that collect the AMPS outdrives or anything related to AMPS.
You'd have to take any wheeling and dealing out of the public eye though through PM's or e-mails.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:33 AM
specialk1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok as the current owner of amps international hobbiesquestion 1 are you are out drives counter rotating , sell them together do not separate them question 2 how are the gears unfortunately we do not make them anymorethere more for collector pieces than anything elseto put current value on them it depends on how bad somebody wants them , I would say between 150 to 350 each as a pair most likely would go for 600 bucksthe OS engine good luck on finding any parts for themas far as your boat I'm not an expert onDumas products
Old 04-16-2014, 06:40 AM
specialk1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh and one more thing those are Generation III outdrives they were made between 1984 to 1988