Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

nitro mixture settings

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

nitro mixture settings

Old 07-19-2014, 04:55 PM
bigcam406

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro mixture settings

hey guys,had my formula fastech nitro out yesterday,ran awesome.i kept leaning out the high speed needle,worked really good.temp was low 80's,humidity approx. 70%.my question is how do you know when its enough? I didn't want to lean it out anymore than what it was,as it ran great,WOT was impressive for the dynamite .15.any simple tips would be appreciated.thanks
Old 07-21-2014, 05:41 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your glow plug. Make a WOT run then shut it down quickly. Although these little engines love the nitro (I used to run 65% in my .12's) keep it sane for reliability especially in hot weather as it'll make it easier to keep a good needle setting. Usualy if it's too lean, you'll know it as it'll stall or start frying plugs.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:48 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

A flowmeter can help with this as well. For an example, last weekend, I was having trouble keeping my scale running and, after talking with one of the guys that uses one, we richened the needle to a setting similar to what he runs and, after that, the boat not only improved, it was way faster than the driver. Needless to say, it's time for a lot of practice with the boat being considerably faster than what I was used to
What a flowmeter does is make it possible to maintain a needle setting regardless of temps, humidity and other factors due to it's ability to give a numerical value to a needle setting. If the weather changes, you can adjust so that your needle stays consistent. The other thing it will do is, with you trying to find that "perfect needle", if you do go too far, you can go back to a previous setting of the needle accurately and not guess on if you're right or wrong
Old 07-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Ron Olson

Mark, a good flow meter will cost about as much as what he's got into the whole boat. You also need some base setting to go by which he doesn't have yet.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:15 PM
bigcam406

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the replies gentlemen.i was just curious about it when I was running the boat last week.i didn't want to push it too far,as it was running really well.i just thought there might be a general rule of thumb.i did check the plug after running it hard,and it looked good.no stalling issues either.so I figured I was in the ballpark.a flowmeter sounds like a great device for these little 2 strokes,i have never heard of them before.the fuel im running is 20% nitro/12% oil (Gen 2000).
Old 07-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Ron Olson

The early ones used a propane tank as the "fuel supply". Two meters showed where the needle was at when you got a good needle. With weather changes, altitude and other factors you could adjust the carb to where it needs to be for existing conditions.
There is a newer electric version from Boris Mazor that is much smaller, almost hand-held in size that uses a tiny air compressor in it. I know of a guy who has one.
The early ones ran around $200.00 as the instruments aren't cheap.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:55 PM
Hydro Junkie

I agree, Ron, Boris' $195 pricetag seems a bit spendy but, at the same time, it can be a fantastic tuning tool. Once a baseline is found, something he appears to have done, he can experiment with the needle and be able to go back to where it's at now easily. For example, I was seriously lean on Saturday and, with the meter, was able to set it to a recommended setting that woke up the boat. Without the meter, I would have been hunting for a proper setting all afternoon. This is where the meter pays for itself, in saved fuel from not having to run laps, bring it in and reset then repeat over and over. I know a little .15 won't be burning a lot but, over the course of a year or two, it adds up

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 07-23-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:34 AM
Ron Olson

If you're a racer then it can be worth it. The old Speedmaster and another one went for $200.00 back in the day and were the size of a regular toolbox as it also had the propane bottle onboard. Boris keeps updating his, I don't know which version he's up to now.
The racers are chasing the needle all day long from cool mornings to hot afternoons. Go with high-percentage nitro and it gets to be more fun!
I heard that you met Stu Barr last week. Stu is always fast as he uses one.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:05 AM
Hydro Junkie

Boris is up to model 4, the one the Brandts and I use.. It's half the size of a cigar box and fits nicely in my tool box. It comes in a nicely finished wood case with a battery tester and charge cord easily accessible as well as the appropriate charger and hose. It's well worth the price, even if it's purchased by the club for everyone's use. I can only say two words about mine:
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yup, met Stu. Won't find many nicer and none that know the big block CMBs like he does. Wish I knew half as much about them

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 07-24-2014 at 01:12 AM.