Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

K&B .35 - Need Boat Advice

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

K&B .35 - Need Boat Advice

Old 08-29-2014, 03:40 PM
kswanson
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&B .35 - Need Boat Advice

So I acquired this boat from a long time friend who cannot R/C anymore due to his age.

I would like to bring new life back into this boat but have never worked on any boats before.

Seems it has a K&B .35 which turns freely. I don't think he ran it more than a few times and quite frankly probably has been in his basement for 25+ years.

Looking to see if anyone can school me on how to get the motor up and running. I know these need to be water cooled and not sure how best to do that.

Also, do I need to get a pistol stick transmitter or can I use my air radio on this?

lastly if I get the thing running and take it out to the lake and it dies.... given I don't want to swim for it nor have a boat how do you boating folks get them back to shore? Fishing Rod??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140829_182423.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	2027044   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140829_182359.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	2027045   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140829_182348.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	2.72 MB
ID:	2027046   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140829_182339.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	2027047  
Old 08-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh boy, that's an oldie! My guess is late `70's to early `80's. The early Dumas Hot Shot's were really tail-heavy and poor handling but this was in the infancy of OB tunnel boats.
The problem I see for a beginning boater is the exhaust throttle setup. You can block the exhaust throttle wide open then put a K&B Black or Gold barb on it.
They love the nitro but seeing how you're probably only going to play with it, use some 30% fuel made for boats, none of that RC car crap as it doesn't have enough oil in it.
The water cooling is already done on it. The pickup tube behind the prop pushes water through the head when the boat is in motion on the water so with that said don't run it out of water for long or wind the engine up too high.
With the radio system you can use what you want, a pistol-grip or a stick radio system, preferably on a surface or 2.4 Gigahertz frequency to be FCC legal. I just have to tell you that, what you do with it otherwise, we don't want to know.
OK, for retrieving a dead boat and you will, it's a given so be prepared. I carry a fishing pole with a top-water lure on it. Others just use a cheap reel like a Zebco 202 with a tennis ball tied to the line. Release the reel and toss the ball out to the boat. I also take a 2-man inflatable boat with me but I've got a trailer to haul my boats in. An inflatable can be blown up in the time that it takes you to unload everything else.
When you finally get ready to fire it up the first time you'll need to reverse the polarity of the wires on the electric starter as these turn in reverse of other engines. The propshaft has left-hand threads when you pull it out to grease the cable. That tool that comes with Cox .049 engines comes in handy on that engine.
Keep the questions coming as I think that you'll have a lot of them.