Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Tempest Europa 40 Mono -- What Motor?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Tempest Europa 40 Mono -- What Motor?

Old 09-07-2015, 07:14 AM
flboyz06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tempest Europa 40 Mono -- What Motor?

Hi,

New to the forum and have some experience with RC boats, planes and cars. I'm completely new to the nitro powered boats and was wondering what would be a good fit for a 40" mono hull that I recently was able to snag off ebay? I'm finding it somewhat diffcult to find marine motors, there are plenty of car and truck motors but nothing with a cooling head and pull starter. I am not overly worried about the cost but would like to get the best bang for the buck. The boat will be used in a large canal that sees some chop from wind but no larger boat traffic. I've been doing the research and have been thinking of running a surface drive as well. I only have pictures from ebay and can post upon request but the boat looks like at one time it was a running unit, but currently was stripped down and left with a few parts of hardware. I plan on sanding down and cleaning up the hull after I have the boat in running order. All help and suggestions are greatly welcomed and appericated.

Happy Labor Day folks!

Last edited by flboyz06; 09-07-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:10 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

A 40" boat can be powered by either a .45/7.5cc or a .67/11cc engine. CMB makes both sizes so that shouldn't be an issue.
Stuart Barr is the distributor here in the US so I'm thinking he would know who to contact in Europe. His email address is:
[email protected]
Old 09-09-2015, 09:35 AM
flboyz06

Thanks for the response. I'm in the States as well. I have yet to actually lay hands on the hull but some of the photos were calling it the 'Tempest Europa 40 Mono' on a sticker which was in side the boat. Is there any way to determine the motor sizes that should be used with the different size hulls? I understand that a bigger hull can hold more weight but also requires more power to move? Just trying to obtain as much info as possible.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:52 PM
Hydro Junkie

In general:
a 28-36" boat will take a .21
a 36-42" boat will take a .45
a 40-52" boat will take a .67
Anything over 50" can use a .90 to 1.0
As far as gas engines, anything over roughly 45" can use one, depending on engine and boat size as well
Obviously, there are going to be exceptions to this depending on hull type and whether or not you plan on racing the boat
Old 09-09-2015, 05:30 PM
flboyz06

Interesting. Is there a particular website that everyone uses for parts?

When running nitro boats, is there a reason why a RC car motor couldnt be used? I know the cars have the vented/slotted cooling fins and marine motors have the water cooled head. I've been trying to find answers as to why you must use a marine motor only and not a car/plane motor? If you uses a marine motor do you need to have constant water flow with a small pump or will a pick up that only works with the boats forward movement work?
Old 09-09-2015, 08:54 PM
Hydro Junkie

Car engines can and have been used with varying degrees of success. The biggest issue is that they tend to run COLD due to the fin area. Since they are normally inside a car body, they don't get a lot of airflow. If they are in a boat and exposed, they don't get hot enough unless the cooling fins are reduced. They also are made for RPM since they normally run through a gearbox that slows down the output. This makes them only good for light, small boats that can let them spin up to their designed optimum speeds.
Airplane engines are the exact oposite. With the exception of the ducted fan motors, they are made to run at lower speeds and with more torque. This is due to the size of the props they use. Too fast of speed will make the prop supersonic at the tips, thereby making them ineffective. By keeping the speeds lower, this isn't an issue but it does limit their use in boats.
A marine motor, due to it running only one way, will only push the boat forward. Water pick ups are normally located in the rudder, behind the prop or mounted to the hull bottom, again depending on the hull type. A pump is therefore not needed to supply water to the cooling jacket. IF your boat is equipped with a clutch, however, this changes. A clutched boat can stop in the middle of the pond and have no water flow. This means you either need a pump of some sort or you will burn up your motor