Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Help Starting .15 marine engine for first boat build

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Help Starting .15 marine engine for first boat build

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 04:32 PM
jeffb2468

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Starting .15 marine engine for first boat build

Hello all, firstly i would like to thank you for taking the time in helping me with my first glow engine boat build. I started out building a hull designed for a steam engine and after running it a few times I thought it would be fun to swap out the steam engine with a small glow engine. I purchased what looks identical to the ASP 15MX nitro bump start engine:
Working volume : 2.45cc
Weight : 240g
Output shaft power : 0.50 / 16,500 (kw / r.p.m)
Practical speed : 3,000-17,000 (r.p.m)

I decided to buy this because of the cheap price at $40 on ebay. I am starting to think i should have spent the extra bucks to get something thats been around longer and has more information on it. I cannot seem to find what type/percentage of nitro i should use and also the recommended prop size for this engine on a 20 inch boat.

The real problem is that i cannot get this engine to start up. This is what i am doing…. I have a 75cc tank filled with Traxxas Top Fuel 20%, the carburetor is getting the fuel and i have set the throttle to be open 1-2mm upon start up. The mixture-needle is set to 2.5 turns open, I have been using two different types of glow plugs the first one i tried was a O.S. medium 6, and the second was a O.S. number 8. the engine seems to have great compression and i have been turning the flywheel over with my hand and also a impact driver hooked up to the drive shaft. I am twisting both to the right and the glow plugs are turning bright red.

Any recommendations on starting this engine? I have even put a drop of fuel inside the cylinder under the glow plug hoping this would kick start it up. Thanks again everyone for helping a new guy in the hobby.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:30 PM
mysteryrc

Have you tried it with the glow plug loose. Traxxas fuel may not be the best, but should at least pop. Just noticed you are spinning it right. Most marine engines spin left looking from prop. Not familiar with that engine though.

Last edited by mysteryrc; 10-12-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:58 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I have to agree, spinning to the right is trying to start it backwards. I would forget the impact driver as that's asking to not only destroy the engine but is asking to get hurt. If you installed a grooved flywheel on your engine, I'd use one of these, making sure it spins counterclockwise when looking at the prop from the boat's rear:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJC35&P=0
Old 10-13-2015, 04:05 AM
jeffb2468

Thanks for the quick replys I will give it a shot with the glow plug not as tight. I originally tried tarting it to the left but every time the nut/screw that holds the flywheel would twist out. I will get a starter and try with that. What are your thoughts on the glow plug and nitro percentage? Thanks.

Last edited by jeffb2468; 10-13-2015 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:59 AM
Hydro Junkie

I don't know enough about the ASP 15 to really say. My engines have been all OS, K&B, Nova Rossi and CMB with the smallest being an OS 25FP.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:53 AM
wholehog
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by jeffb2468
Thanks for the quick replys I will give it a shot with the glow plug not as tight. I originally tried tarting it to the left but every time the nut/screw that holds the flywheel would twist out. I will get a starter and try with that. What are your thoughts on the glow plug and nitro percentage? Thanks.
For what you are doing, 20 or 30 percent should be fine with a hot plug. As for a prop, a guy named Chris at [email protected] should be able to help you out with that.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:03 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The ASP's aren't a big brand name here although years ago MRP put them in their boats.
Never run Traxxas fuel in boats. Even Traxxas themselves doesn't recommend it in theirs as the oil content is too low.
Take the high-speed needle out at least one more turn.
Is you fuel tank pressurized?
Prop size. I'd say possibly an Octura X-435 to 437.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:30 AM
wholehog

If you are having a hard time finding boat fuel as I have for my demographics I found a great fuel good prices and will ship strainght to you and these guy's know their stuff Torco fuels out of Texas, you might have seen them on E-Bay. Been using their stuff for several years and they have good tech support on their product because not only do they make the stuff, they are rc-ers also.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:05 PM
Hydro Junkie

Are there any updates? Just curious if you ever got it started