Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Hitec Aurora 9 transmitter

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Hitec Aurora 9 transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 01:18 AM
Nitro boater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec Aurora 9 transmitter

Has anyone use this transmitter
Old 09-05-2017, 05:48 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes I have 2 of them one for nitro and one for electric. They also serve as backups for each other if need be and as buddy box to each other. Bought them years ago when they first hit the market and have worked flawlessly since the first day.

Dennis
Old 09-05-2017, 05:49 AM
Nitro boater

Ok Dennis thx...what reciever do you use
Old 09-05-2017, 07:39 AM
Nitro boater

What reciever do you use dennis
Old 09-05-2017, 05:54 PM
Propworn

I mostly fly rc but have a few boats. Most of the time I use an older surface radio FM not 2.4. One application I needed 4 channels and was too cheap to invest in a 4 channel or better surface radio so I used my Aurora aircraft transmitter. I thought 2.4 is 2.4 but some on the forums started warning me about reflected signals off the water so I went with the Optima 9 channel receiver because it has dual antennas. Used it now for 3 years in the boat without a problem. Again 2.4 is 2.4 the aircraft version may transmit a stronger signal maybe not. I don't know but that combo works for me even though I only use 4 channels.

Dennis
Old 09-05-2017, 09:46 PM
Nitro boater

Ok thx
Old 09-05-2017, 11:36 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn
I mostly fly rc but have a few boats. Most of the time I use an older surface radio FM not 2.4. One application I needed 4 channels and was too cheap to invest in a 4 channel or better surface radio so I used my Aurora aircraft transmitter. I thought 2.4 is 2.4 but some on the forums started warning me about reflected signals off the water so I went with the Optima 9 channel receiver because it has dual antennas. Used it now for 3 years in the boat without a problem. Again 2.4 is 2.4 the aircraft version may transmit a stronger signal maybe not. I don't know but that combo works for me even though I only use 4 channels.

Dennis
And that warning is actually based on fact. When the Spectrum 2.4 first came out, several boats in my area were wrecked due to signal loss. It has to do with the short wavelength. Unlike the longer wavelength AM and FM, which tend to ignore ripples and waves on the surface of the water, the 2.4 tends to reflect off of it. This is why Futaba, after watching what was happening with Spectrum's systems, went with the twin antenna surface receiver. It doubles the amount of signal receiving area and makes reception more positive.
As far as output power, all transmitters are limited on how much power they can put out by the FCC. Therefore, a surface transmitter puts out the exact same signal strength as an aircraft system. In fact, the manufacturers use very similar transmitter modules in all of their products, varying only in how the information is coded and the modulator circuit as to band and how it is fine tuned to the exact frequency center, AM and FM normally using crystals while 2.4 uses something a little more high tech due to it's frequency hopping. As you said, 2.4 is 2.4, the receiver makes all the difference

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 09-05-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:23 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I run a Spektrum DX3S system in all of my models, but I chose to use the Marine receivers in my boats because I was a little wary about the range. The Spektrum marine receivers have two antennas - so far I haven't encountered any range problems, however I haven't tested how far I can go before I lose signal. I just run the longer antenna as high as I can above the water's surface and the shorter antenna is left inside the radio box.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:59 PM
Propworn

All kinds of guys locally running aircraft 2.4 systems in ground applications without any issues. Tanks and ground vehicles using half a dozen channels. Boats a few hovercraft, air boats even the odd warship with guns'pumps etc. I haven't heard anyone complain about radio problems.

Dennis