Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Looking for information on boat building

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Looking for information on boat building

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 02:05 PM
Caribou89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for information on boat building

I've got a boat that I know absolutely nothing about. It's missing basically every component, even the rudder (though it has the mount for it).
I only know that it used to be a gas powered engine that it ran on and it's definitely seen better days.
It's likely a lost cause but it belonged to my late father and I wish to at least try and make it run again.
Only trouble is I know nothing about the required components or the basics of hull repair (it has a chip on the bottom and looks like it was driven into some rocks on the bow.
Only info I have is that it is 3ft long, 1ft wide.
If there are any tutorials or anything I'd really appreciate it.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:47 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to the site!!

If you could message me a few pictures I will post them to the page for you - It will be much easier to provide you with good advice then. (This site restricts new members from posting direct to the site sorry)
Old 11-01-2019, 03:22 AM
Caribou89

I've sent the requested images to your inbox.

Thank you!
Old 11-01-2019, 10:07 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The boat looks more like it was a nitro powered boat. I will move this thread there as it may see the more knowledgeable eyes for this style hull there.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:43 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Looks like an Octura Strutter on the transom, a very common piece of hardware.
The size of the boat says it was powered by either a .21 or a .45 nitro fueled engine, something that has often been referred to over the years as being gas powered many new boaters. As for who designed the boat, I honestly don't know. It does look like a wooden hull with fiberglass over the outside.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:46 PM
Caribou89

That would explain why I remember my dad simplifying it as a Gas Powered boat.
I think you're right about the hull, the interior is all wood and insulated foam with the exterior being the only differing material. The damage on the bow shows just more wood and foam and a very thin layer of what I'm assuming to be the fibre glass.

Whatever the make and model would be more than 30 years old. As long as I can remember this thing has always been apart and I've never personally seen it driven. So this would have been a hobby of his before I was born, making identifying it probably a rather impossible mission.
Knowing that it likely ran the .21 or .45 nitro, would I be able to buy just any kit for that size and fit it?
Old 12-09-2019, 03:40 AM
Twinhydro
My Feedback: (6)

Looks like a Dumas Sorcerer kit . Lots of information at International Waters forums . Measure your width where the motor mount goes and I think I can send you one , if you are willing to pay shipping . Also will throw in some hardware .Not that hard to set up . Chip up all that loose paint and re epoxy the bottom to seal . LMK if you are interested or not .Here is a photo for your ideas to grow from .

Last edited by Twinhydro; 12-09-2019 at 04:02 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:31 AM
Caribou89

Holy cow! I was not expecting to get an exact identity on this model that's amazing! Not going to lie, it's very tempting to take you up on that offer I'm going to consider it. Right now it's a bit too close to the holidays though. I really appreciate the help, you guys are awesome!

If I measured correctly it looks to be a 4 1/8" wide bay.

Last edited by Caribou89; 12-13-2019 at 01:56 PM.