Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Tossing the boat

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Tossing the boat

Old 09-30-2003, 01:58 PM
{Sygen}

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tossing the boat

I was reading through my manual before I start building the model and it tells me that you have to get a running start and underhand the boat into the water. Am I reading that right? If so, why would you do that? Boat is 1/8 Unlimited Hydroplane, .67 engine.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:09 PM
550racer

Default RE: Tossing the boat

yup u toss the boat into the water not sure as to y but when u start it the prop is spinning and it dosent stop unless the engine is off so u give it a gental toss into the water
Old 09-30-2003, 03:32 PM
rclooney

it so the engine cen get running without any load. anyway, wouldn't it be hard to hold the boat, hold the glowstarter and operate the pullstart/elec starter.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:09 PM
550racer

its easy but u do need 2 people to start it one holdin the controller with the troddle up while hte other has the glo starter an pulls the pull start
Old 09-30-2003, 09:00 PM
Ken Hildreth

You need to toss the boat foward to make it easier on the motor and to relieve stress on the flex shaft. Most the time on a three point style hydro such as you have will push the nose under instead of getting up on plane. usually the stronger the push, the more likelyhood of the boat comming up. How far along are you on your project. Ken
Old 10-01-2003, 08:16 PM
{Sygen}

Ahh thanks. Im waiting on the engine, and then I will start building.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:19 AM
polstery

Your all wrong ,you toss it to keep the prop from cavitating if you don't know what that is then just place the boat in the water and give it some gass you'll find out!!
Old 10-09-2003, 07:45 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brownie, with all your experience in boating, where do you hide? The Greater Hartford Model Boat Club is looking for experienced boaters like you! Our race site in Mansfield Hollow State Park is not that far from you. We have members from Eastern Massachusetts so Bristol Ct is not that far away. Had a real avid boater from Waterbury Ct till he got into Japanese ceremonial swords. Don't read anything into that!
Old 10-11-2003, 07:17 AM
polstery

I've been looking for a club, I'll be in next year sounds like a lot of fun is there a website for the club. If it doesn't rain sunday I'll go to the lake, see you there
Old 10-13-2003, 10:57 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brownie, I hope you didn't venture up to Mansfield this past weekend. We cancelled due to the rain and cold. Fair weather boaters. We will race in the rain if it's warm but no one likes rain and cold. That was our last outing of the season but we'll be going again in the spring. I'll be sure to send you our schedule when I complete it and get the clubs approval. Web site? Don't have one. I have all I can do to keep up with R/C Boats, R/C Airplanes, Water skiing, Motorcycling and a little time for work.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:36 PM
polstery

No, I didn't it was raining here first thing in the morning, I'm in next spring see you there
Old 11-22-2003, 01:21 AM
torpedox

the best part of having a friend toss my 50" aeromarine apache W/Bh Hanson Pro Mod G23, is when I blip the throttle, right as the hull hits the water, the roost Nails him every time! he's a damn good friend, to have put up with me for so many years!
Old 11-22-2003, 07:53 PM
pro27

ORIGINAL: polstery

Your all wrong ,you toss it to keep the prop from cavitating if you don't know what that is then just place the boat in the water and give it some gass you'll find out!!

THIS answer is partially correct, the rest of the answer is above in Ken Wildreth's reply.
'Tossing', is sometimes a single handed, but usually two handed approach used to get the boat in the water without stalling the engine. Providing it with forward motion before it hits the water keeps the engine running, gets it up on plane almost imediately and prevents the prop from cavatating.

it's purpose is three fold.

I've been tossing boats for almost 20 years.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:17 PM
jguenthe

do you only have to toss hydros, what about v's?
Old 12-10-2003, 12:05 AM
pro27

All types can benefit from tossing, hydros are just more particular to it and benefit the most simply because of design. You don't want a submarine, otherwise you would had built one specific
Old 12-11-2003, 12:05 PM
tsunami

if the hydro ha senough prop and the powre you can set it in and gas it it does a nice launch ,make sure you have a swamp guard my 23 inch tunnel will pull out of its cavitation although im usally in the water so i slide it