Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Nitro top speed record broken by electric

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Nitro top speed record broken by electric

Old 11-09-2003, 06:49 PM
Pagemaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro top speed record broken by electric

Joerg Mrkwitschka of Germany just broke the nitro top speed record of 120.5 with an Electric Boat!
He ran a one way pass of 122 plus mph and a backup run of 119mph to set the NEW world record to 120.7mph average!

Steven Vaccaro
www.OffshoreElectrics.com
Old 11-12-2003, 09:16 AM
Saugling

Default RE: Nitro top speed record broken by electric

[>:]

I think (122mph + 119mph) /2 = 120.5mph

...still very very impressive for a electric powered boat!

but isn't the nitro speed record also 120.5mph???
Old 11-12-2003, 09:36 AM
Pagemaster

It was 122.xxx not sure exactly but it averaged out to 120.7
The big nitro guys in CA helped host the event and run the timing lights.
From what I read they were more than helpful putting on the show.

This is two fold. It helps us electric guys gain respect and the nitro
guys competition for the future. Either way its great for rc boating!

Steven Vaccaro
Old 11-12-2003, 06:03 PM
catmannz

Go the Electric!!!!! enviromentally friendly and Fast!!!

I think this is great progress for electric boats!! I am buzzing over this event
Old 11-13-2003, 10:24 PM
torpedox

very impressive!! but if the day ever comes that an electric, can compete against a Nitro powered boat in a ten lap race, then I might consider building one. not that I have anything against electric motors, Ive been an electric motor winder for 8 years. its a fact that elect. motors are more efficient than thier gasoline counterparts. a 3 horsepower 21amp. electric motor with a centrifugal pump would require a 5 Hp. 4cycle gas engine to pump the same amount of water, using the same pumpend. I just cant get enough, of the smell of Nitro.[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 11-14-2003, 04:39 PM
rcrdps

An electric can be built that would keep up with the Nitro for a ten lap race,.......it's just really expensive to do right now. Li-Poly cells have a huge capacity. I read a review where a guy used them in his helicopter. He flew aerobatics(loops, inverted) for 20 minutes. Said he got bored, but that it would be good to fly for 5 minutes 3-4 times without recharging. In boats, we use a good bit more juice, so that would probably put us right at Nitro runtimes.

Li-Poly is being used quite a bit in RC airplanes. It will be a year or so before they become common place in boats. They're just a tad expensive for most of us.

Gene
Old 11-19-2003, 10:50 PM
BACKEMF

I will say with confidence that this is the very beginning of the end of I/C engines in the R/C world. Just wait until the batteries get perfected. I am not saying this will happen overnight or in 2 years, but it WILL HAPPEN! Anyone that says no says no to progress.
Progress is good. Besides You nitro heads can still buy a bottle of fuel and sniff it from time to time, just "'cause you love the smell of Nitro".
That ****e stinks![:'(]
I get a headache just watching them run for 2 laps let alone 10.
A 12 cell LSH can do ten laps at approx. 30MPH with just Nicads or NiMH's
How fast is a .21 scale 24" long hydroplane anyway.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:52 AM
Nitroaddict

ORIGINAL: ray schrauwen

How fast is a .21 scale 24" long hydroplane anyway.

Between 50-60mph.......hehe
Old 11-20-2003, 11:35 AM
Pagemaster

Do you know anywhere I can see video of those .21 nitros running in a race?

Steven Vaccaro
Old 11-20-2003, 01:57 PM
rcrdps

Note: He didn't specify scale. I wouldn't doubt a .21 rigger can run those speeds. I'm quite sure of it actually.

Stating that nitro is on it's way out is a tad much. Maybe in California, but the rest of the world has a majority that actually likes things that go vroooommm!!! I'm an electric guy, but I also like anything that roars with power. Just like an old Mustang isn't going to be outlawed, neither is nitro.

Can progress not happen with an IC engine? Is the future totally electric? Electricity has to come from somewhere.

Gene
Old 11-21-2003, 07:54 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Steve, I still don't have much respect for the Electric boats! Andy Brown has already run 126+MPH and there have also been unofficial 130+ runs made with Nitro boats. I'll have more respect for the first Gas boater to break 100 MPH which is more of a feat. With the advances in electric motors, ESC's and batteries, it was going to happen soon anyway. If it was done with a brushed motor and using Ni-Cads it would be more impressive. Andy's boats, engines, etc. are available to anyone with the cash and would survive to race another day. His are not purpose built boats, i.e., SAW record run boats only but fully raceable. If we had the advances in fuels compared to batteries, who knows where they would be at now!
I'm not trying to rain on your parade or get you mad at me, I'm just looking at apples vs. oranges. The Drag racers had a field day when John Force's Funny Car topped the speed record over the Top Fuel Dragsters.
Oh yeah, www.intlwaters.com has some videos in their site of some .21's racing. There is one very good 'rigger race that was done at the Ultimate 21 Shootout near Chicago. The site is kind of messed up at the moment with Server problems so they might not be available but go over there and join up, a lot of Electric racers have joined up lately that got tired of what they call the "Red" site.
BTW, I've had a few electric boats in my time but my Heart is in Nitro no matter how much of a pain in the butt they can be.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:26 AM
Pagemaster

Still no respect! [8D] I guess we will just have to wait to see when the nitro guys decide they want to try to take back the record with their 130 runs but make them official. I see it as a good thing for both sides. Makes all the contenders want to try even harder now.

Steven Vaccaro
Old 11-22-2003, 05:11 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It sure is! Andy is working on a new cowling for his 'rigger. The old records were set without a cowling on, it made the boat want to blow off at speed.
Look at how long it took to hit 100 MPH and how fast the records are falling now since then.
It's too bad that is only a select few that are doing it, we need more contenders.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:51 PM
flyingcrazy
My Feedback: (28)

You can talk all the electric boats you want to but this is our hobby if we want to run nirto we will if you want to run electric you can but dont try to push electric on boaters that dont want them if their so great gold plate them you could do it for half the price of the batteries . what will hapen to your lake when you fry a battery while raceing and your boat sinks Im sure it want hurt the water WILL it and it WILL HAPPEN! IF YOU ARE SHOCKED BY THIS O WELL I GUESS YOU CAN WATE 30MIN. THEN RECHARGE IF YOUR BATTERIES ARE COOL !!!!
Old 12-10-2003, 12:33 AM
Pagemaster

A bit touchy are we flyingcrazy! No one said you should go out and buy an electric boat! Tell me where that was said please?
We just said if you want to go faster than nitro you can buy an electric. Just kidding!

Steven Vaccaro
Old 12-11-2003, 11:49 AM
tsunami

i think smaller ignition nitro engines will be the next best thing.
with ignition we could tune them too new hieghts and nw fuel %.
i race full size fuel hydros and weve found the relm of twin props a good improvement (safety and speed)where we were doing 5.10 ets we are now running consistant 4.90s.
[link=http://www.worldsfastestdragboats.com]worlds fastest dragboats [/link]