Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

AirBoat

Old 11-11-2003, 03:45 PM
mattreynol
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AirBoat

I have a 33" Swampboat/Airboat with a K&B .60 on it. It originally had some skegs along the bottom for tracking but they are missing. Does anyone know where I can get some skegs or a keel of some sort to stabilize the boat?

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:13 AM
pro27

Default RE: AirBoat

It will depend on which hull it is, or let us know what type of bottom it has. Does it have the flat type bottom or is it a tunnel bottom?

The strakes, or runners, make a big diference on how the hull will corner. Runners will help keep the hull going straight and corner tighter while a hull with no strakes will slide through turns easier but will not turn as tight a turn. The size, number of, and length of the runners will play a big part on how it handles. Also dependant on if it has an air rudder or a water rudder.

Is the boat gonna be for carving whirlpools on the water or are you looking more for oval type running?
Old 11-21-2003, 11:14 AM
pro27

Here is what I suggest. It's a little work, but easy to do and not too time consuming.

Go to your lhs and pick up some 1/8 h x 1/2 w spruce strips. With these you will make three runners. Make two of them 10" long and one at 12" long. What will be the front edges, taper gently to the tip.
Ready the hull bottom by sanding the areas where the runners will be glued. The 12" runner will be positioned in the center with the rear edge of the runner flush with the transom.
Place the other two runners, one on either side of the center runner at a distance of about 2 1/2" from the center runner. After the epoxy has dried, coat the runners with a light coat of epoxy to seal them. If you want you can also paint them to waterproof em.

This set up should provide more turning ability, w/o making it too difficult to turn while still allowing some slide.
With the use of a water rudder, the hull will tend to lean into the turn, the runner on the inside portion of the turn will grab and help the hull grip the water to turn.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:42 AM
mattreynol
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for the feedback, will do.