Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

rossi .90 help!!!!!!!!!

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

rossi .90 help!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-24-2003, 05:30 PM
ibstar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rossi .90 help!!!!!!!!!

hi all
can anyone help a club member whos having problems with the rossi.90 he has tryed both needles at every position between 1 turn out and 4 turns out with every combo in between. also tryed presure feed on and off makes no diffrence. as soon as the boat hits the water it goes about 10 meters and just dies what ever you do with the throttle. he's emailed rossi but had no replys and doesn't seem to find any help.
a pipe lenght and needle setting would be great. i had a try twidling but it was just so annoying never seen a nitro that hard to set up
Old 11-24-2003, 11:46 PM
suricks

Default RE: rossi .90 help!!!!!!!!!

Might try thinking about some fresh fuel ?? Also perhaps try lowering the nitro percent as well.
Ive seen this scenario a few times past. I run the Rossi Miura 3.5 and it just screams on 15 percent !! If I try 50 percent it really just gets hotter and seems to get too sensitive in the needle area.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:45 AM
torpedox

need more info, before it can be properly diagnosed. does it scream then die? does it change tone with or without glow plug ignighter hooked up? does it run ok on shore, then slow and die when in the water? be as specific as you can and it will be easier to narrow down your problem.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:25 PM
ibstar

does it scream then die? NO does it change tone with or without glow plug ignighter hooked up?NO does it run ok on shore, then slow and die when in the water? NO
Might try thinking about some fresh fuel ?? NO Also perhaps try lowering the nitro percent as well NO

the motor is brand new. only using 10% nitro and it is new. using rossi mainifold and cmb pipe. the engine has been tuned so that it starts and ticks over perfecty on shore it also picks up when you move the stick. wether you lower it slowly or launch it. it travels the same distance wether you are going at tick over or going half throttle.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:42 PM
micboy

Hi

I had the same prop with a picco 91 I tried everything but for nothing then I noticed that the engine is getting cold in the water and dies after few sec in the water. Try to make a small restriction to the water intake and a hotter plug.

Keep me posted because I manage to run mine after 3 month of swe.....r.....

Hope this helps.
Michael
Old 11-25-2003, 08:56 PM
suricks

How about these two other ideas>>>>>>>> If you havent noticed any cavitation problems yet at launch then you could try unloading the engine a bit by knocking down on the prop diameter (or pitch). And secondly, try just fattening the needle some more !!
Oh, also, can you possibly lengthen the pipe/header connection for "just get it running" tuneing ??
Old 11-26-2003, 03:26 PM
ibstar

the pipe is already at 34/35cm. ( bit longer than normal cause the rossi mainifold and the short cmb pipe are of smaller diameter than normal and the short pipe cause's more back pressure)Think it has been sussed he took the head and button off and it looks like the copper gasket has been damaged (so much for brand new off ebay) letting water in bore as soon as the cooling water goes round engine. but will try knocking down on the coolent flow and warmer plug too then a smaller prop but only on X460/3
just got to wait till sunday to try it.
ill keep you posted on how it goes.
cheers lads
Old 12-15-2003, 09:00 PM
Addison
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Rossi,

Try i had the same problem thier are few things with this engine one is the fuel percentage and if the fuel is clean try 15 percent that works great for me also adjust your idle to suit your needle valve and start at a rich setting then fine tune always adjusting the idle screw along with the needle valve and lastly check to see if the water is running through the head properly or at a sufficient rate hope i could be of some service

Addison
Old 12-15-2003, 09:04 PM
Addison
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Melissa

Just seeing if this works
Old 01-10-2004, 09:52 AM
r-c-guy
My Feedback: (37)

Hi there,

Used to run marine Rossi's. We had to tune them to a 2-cycle in the water holding theboat. Then, every 2 laps we'd lean in another 1/4 turn. Occaisionally, we would leave a battery on the plug till we got it running right.

randy
Old 01-27-2004, 01:45 AM
bill heacock

ORIGINAL: ibstar

hi all
can anyone help a club member whos having problems with the rossi.90 he has tryed both needles at every position between 1 turn out and 4 turns out with every combo in between. also tryed presure feed on and off makes no diffrence. as soon as the boat hits the water it goes about 10 meters and just dies what ever you do with the throttle. he's emailed rossi but had no replys and doesn't seem to find any help.
a pipe lenght and needle setting would be great. i had a try twidling but it was just so annoying never seen a nitro that hard to set up
What do you mean both needles? If you have a needle in the carb and are also using an in line needle, you need to pull the needle out of the carb, plug the hole, use the inline only 3 1/2 out, if running a 3rd channel needle, get rid of the needle in the carb, flow the 3rd channel needle to read 10 at full open, 6 on the low end, or set the 3rd channel needle in the center and flow to 8, then you can range up and down. On a 90 size motor you can run 60% nitro with a head clearance of 8 no problem, I wouldn/t use less than 45% nitro, same head clearance. You have to pressurize the tank, also use a hopper tank, it will keep your fuel pressure steady.

Bill Heacock