Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Question about fair selling price

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Question about fair selling price

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 06:06 AM
CJan_NH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about fair selling price

First off, thanks for looking

I have an International Hobbies Veldon Outboard Tunnel boat with OS 46 VR-M Mercury outboard and power trim that I'm in the process of selling. There is no radio gear and the engine needs a carb, rod, and piston.

The reason I'm asking is that I just put the boat on eBay and I'm getting absolutely buried with questions and photo requests. I'm wondering if this boat is actually more desirable than I think it is. Back in the 80s I worked in an R/C hobby shop and I've had the boat since then.

What should I expect for this?

Thanks in advance! I'm just wondering if I have made a mistake by listing it.

Chris in NH
Old 12-01-2003, 02:54 PM
LtDoc

Default RE: Question about fair selling price

Chris,
There really isn't a way to put a 'fair market price' on your boat other than to see what others like it are selling for. If there aren't any others 'like it', then it's a matter of whatever the market will bear/bare. Of course, if there aren't any others like it, then you could probably ask for more (to a point, and then it just depends on the 'auction crazies').
As for making a mistake by listing it, well, that's up to you and why you listed it to start with. If you're just cleaning out the place, then anything you get for it is to the 'good'. If you were just wanting to get rid of it, what's really changed? I think your best bet is to do some research to see if you can find out what the thing's worth (sort of like what you're doing, right?), and going from there. Since it's 20 years old, or more, tell'em it's an antique! The 'antique nuts' will go crazy over it...
- LtDoc
Old 12-04-2003, 08:12 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, there does seem to be some interst in this boat again but I don't know why. Steve Pond, one of the Editors for RCBM was looking for one about a month ago himself! It is probably more of a collectible than a competitive racer but who knows? The hull and power trim are getting hard to find and the O.S. motor on it probably helps. If I remember right, it doesn't use a flex cable but straight shafts with a gearbox. The price you might get ought to surprise you! Let us know what you do get for it.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:31 AM
CJan_NH

Thanks for the replies guys

Ironically, the opening bidder is the person who owns the company [link=http://www.customrcboats.com/]CustomRCBoats.[/link] I have received literally dozens of questions about the boat from potential buyers over the past week, and just under 1200 people have viewed the listing.

I never, ever thought I would get this kind of response for a boat that isn't ready to run. Seven people have contacted me and asked me to cancel the auction so they could just buy the boat outright. Since I don't want to aggravate anyone I politely declined their offers, even though two of them offered me an insane amount of money (over $1000). Currently the boat is at $252.00 with six hours left in the auction. It has jumped $50 in the past five minutes.

You are correct, the lower uses straight shafts with a gearbox filled with ATF.