Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Looking for BEST 2-ch Radio for Boats...

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Looking for BEST 2-ch Radio for Boats...

Old 12-10-2003, 02:56 PM
carguy70001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for BEST 2-ch Radio for Boats...

I have a NitroVee but the stock RADIO doesn't seem to have a good enough range.
Please recommend the BEST Radio for the dollar for a BOAT...

Thanks,
Al

[email protected]
Old 12-10-2003, 08:33 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Looking for BEST 2-ch Radio for Boats...

Any good radio system for trucks or boats should work. The main thing is, how much do you want to spend? Then, what features do you want? Also consider if you might want to move it over to another boat sometime down the road. Newer radios are coming out constantly so prices are dropping and more features are being added.
What problems are you having? Most systems have enough output wattage to take the boat out 1/4 mile which is farther than I like to go. Do a range check with it to see how well it is working. You should be able to go 60' with the antenna fully retracted and still be getting a signal to the boat.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:08 AM
carguy70001

I'm using the Traxxas Stock NV radioo and I have changed the batteries and my range is 100'. I'm now looking at a Futaba 2PEKA FM radio, its about $100 which is about where I want to be.

Any comments about my choice?
Old 12-11-2003, 04:20 PM
Ron Olson

For a C-note, there are a lot of good radios out there now. The JR XR-2, the Hi-Tec Agressor and Futaba's latest. Any of these are great choices.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:38 PM
LtDoc

The one thing that will increase range more than any other that you have control over, is the receiver's antenna height. The higher the antenna extends above ground/water, the better the range. Since some people think that an antenna sticking up above their boat is ugly, just how much 'ugly' can you put up with if it extends your range?
- LtDoc
Old 12-15-2003, 07:20 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

All the above responses are VERY good ones . And FTR - as was already said ... for $100.00 , there are PLENTY of REALLY good radios out there .
Now , there is one thing that I would like to make sure you did not misunderstand about the antenna height .. this does NOT mean ADD any additional length to the wire ... what was meant , was simply make sure that it is sticking UP in the air and not wrapped up ( which could also create a magnetic field which is BAD ) .
Also , running 27 Mhz is something that I would suggest getting away from also . That is the same freq's that those little kiddie RC toys use ( like Nikko and Tyco ) , in addition to CB radios . ( and being an ex driver - some guys run LOTS of power , which would take control OVER your boat in a heartbeat . )
And as far as range ... FCC limits the amount of power output for RC use radios , so , in short , they will ALL put out the same amount of power .
Also -
AM accepts the MOST interference . FM less and so on and so forth ... Which leads folks to believe that say for example an FM Tx , some will try and tell you that they transmit further than an AM , which is false information . They just filter out the "junk" better ...which makes it "seem" like you have greater distance .
Find what suites you to your needs and likings , and most definately ----- have fun , be SAFE , AND ENJOY !
Old 12-16-2003, 08:40 AM
carguy70001

Well, I purchased a JR Xr3i on eBay for $80 with servos, I hope this solves my short range radio troubles.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:18 PM
Ron Olson

If you got an XR-3i for $80.00, you didn't buy it, you stole it!
Old 12-16-2003, 03:26 PM
carguy70001

Great and that included freight. I hope its better than my stock Traxxas AM Radio (lol).