Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Miss Budweiser 1/12 RTR Nitro Troubles

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Miss Budweiser 1/12 RTR Nitro Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 05:56 PM
HoT_DoGgIN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miss Budweiser 1/12 RTR Nitro Troubles

Alright... nextdoor neighbor just got the Miss Bud Racing boat, and asked me to help him tune it (been in the car area for a while with nitros so he figured I could help him)... Started tuning it, and when we got it running, set it in the water, and then let it rip, it seemed as though the prop wasn't doing anything except shooting mass cavitated water out of the back... We tried many different things, and somehow when we slowed the engine speed down it seemed to act like it had a clutch, and would engage or something. Right after that it would speed up, and instead of shooting water everywhere behind it, it actually kept the water reletivly lowand was actually moving; I'm thinking this is merely the absence of air bubbles and whatnot since the prop is spinning so fast. Any hints on how to prevent this and get it cooking some water?

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2003, 10:35 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Miss Budweiser 1/12 RTR Nitro Troubles

to me it sounds like you are having slipage, in the drive line. check to insure that the shaft is not slipping on the engine, also check the prop dog for slipage on the shaft.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:43 AM
pro27

This is probably cavatation. Almost all hydros are prone to do this. Most beginners make the assumption that the boat can just be PLACED inthe water, give it some throttle, and it will take off. This is usually not the case though. MOst hydros benefit from a little forward toss with the engine at about half throttle to get it up on plane as soon as it hits the water.
There is another thread posted here about TOSSING THE BOAT.

If you checked over all driveline and nothing is loose, this is a sure bet as to the problem.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:23 AM
HoT_DoGgIN

Alright... yeah that sounds about right, When we had it out in the water, it seemed that sometimes after we got it up on plane and running it wanted to stop, and slow down... and then start cavitating again... It didn't happen very often, but it did happen...

Is there anything I can do to prevent this when I decrease the speed, or is this a sign that the rear of the boat is too heavy, or the front too light?

one last thing...

Water getting into the hull of his boat isn't a problem per say, but after about 3 runs, it seems as though the inside has enough that it would weigh the back end down... hmm does this mean something? Is there any sort of valve or hatch that i can buy to put into the hull to allow water out, and not in?
---The reason i ask this, is because we can get most of the water out by simply holding the boat parallel to the ground, and letting it drip out... no shaking needed, however there is still some there.
--- Is there anything that i can do to better waterproof the radio equipment and the interior?... Yes i know, it's a nitro so it has to have holes somewhere to breathe, but it seems like that doesn't really add that much water to the interior...

Let me know!... Jot your thoughts!

HoT_DoGgIN
Old 01-03-2004, 03:17 AM
pro27

RCBM had published an article not too long ago addressing some of these problems. Most of them are cheap and easy to do. If you go to their website, they might still have the article available on line.
http://www.rcboatmodeler.com
Old 01-04-2004, 02:10 AM
pro27

I could not find the article on-line any more[]

Maybe if you contacted them they may have a link to it yet.

Otherwise, if you can find a copy of the October 2003 issue, the article is on page 32.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:55 PM
HoT_DoGgIN

Thanks... i think finding the issue somewhere might be a better hope, maybe at a local library or something.

I'll try both, and if I can get a hold of that issue online, I may also ask them if i have permission to reproduce it here in a post...

We'll see!

HoT_DoGgIN
Old 01-07-2004, 07:38 PM
550racer

for the water entering the hull problem get a autobailer and install it on the lowest part of the hull in the back in the middle as u can get..
Old 01-08-2004, 01:39 AM
pro27

The article describes how to install the autobailer into the transom with hints on what to watch for. The transom is a little thin in this area, so some care must be taken when you install it.

Warehouse Hobbies seems to have the lowest priced ones around.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:58 PM
Got Smoke

this is where you want to put the autobailer. the miss bud is a right turn boat so the left rear sponson would be the best place. when you get ready for more speed try an octura x 440 prop.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17714.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	90966  
Old 01-31-2004, 12:15 PM
superbird
My Feedback: (2)

try putting a 1" by 1" trim tab (made from thin metal) bend it 90 degrees and double
stick it on the transome just behind and above the prop.this acts like a anti cavitation
plate and reduces the prop ventalation.I did this to mine and it works great.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:25 PM
boby_ram

try putting a 1" by 1" trim tab (made from thin metal) bend it 90 degrees and double
stick it on the transome just behind and above the prop.this acts like a anti cavitation
plate and reduces the prop ventalation.I did this to mine and it works great.
Please post some pictures. Sounds very interesting.

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:22 PM
superbird

here a a couple of pics of the cavitation plate I made.
I got the Idea from rcu before the big change.it helped
alot and I suggest it to anyone with this boat.the prop
slippage is almost completly stoped with this setup.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46825.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	97849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27538.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	97850  
Old 02-07-2004, 01:58 PM
HoT_DoGgIN

I would assume that that plate is parallel and inline with the bottom of the boat. One question I have however is how did you fasten it? I know metal to fiberglass can be a tricky bond to make well. What did you make it out of?

Thanks! This looks like it's going to help alot when the ice here finally decides to thaw into some sort of water or something!

HoT_DoGgIN
Old 02-08-2004, 03:54 PM
superbird

yes the plate is even with the bottom of the boat and is bent slightly
upwards (just a touch). I used a very thin name brand double stick tape
to attach it to the transom,just make sure to use some alcohol and a
rag to wipe both surfaces clean before sticking the pieces together.
good luck.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:07 PM
speeedfreek

once .15 nitro engine is broke in about 6 to 7 tanks is what i found.once you achive this the engine will be reliable enough to turn idle down before setting in water,thats the problem your having now is idle is to high creating to much tork on prop and instead of takin off its just sittin there at high rpm and barely moving,bottom line,break motor in,set idle low,then youll see a big diffrence every time you set that boat in the water it will be gone.
mike
Old 03-09-2004, 07:45 PM
speeedfreek

let me tell you guys out there who love miss budweiser 1/12,once you get the boat you have to take motor out,gas tank out,all hoses,what i did is pulled the stock stuffing tube out and replaced with better one,got octura blade,brass #y535,then i refiber glassed the hole inside of hull,upper and lower,made the boat strong as an ox,then went got me a 1 horse megtech replacemt motor marine of course,wanna have sum real fun,that boat went from 30 mph to 50 plus,can only run in flat water but just so happens i live on a lake that is calm everyday.so far have had about 25 great runs,alittle stress cracks on bottom but not even threw gel coat cause i completly refiber glassed every thing inside hull.
ORIGINAL: lethal3

once .15 nitro engine is broke in about 6 to 7 tanks is what i found.once you achive this the engine will be reliable enough to turn idle down before setting in water,thats the problem your having now is idle is to high creating to much tork on prop and instead of takin off its just sittin there at high rpm and barely moving,bottom line,break motor in,set idle low,then youll see a big diffrence every time you set that boat in the water it will be gone.
mike
Old 03-10-2004, 12:23 AM
pro27

WOW....... A MegaTech .16 pushing a hull like that to speeds of 50 +.
Time to toss the NovaRossi's and riggers in the trash bin I guess!

Like Ron says below................
Old 03-10-2004, 06:05 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Just curious ... how did you come up with that speed ? Radared or GPS'ed ? My ABS GP Wilcat that has been converted with a Megatech M-16 doesn't run that fast amd my hull is a LOT lighter than yours .
Old 03-11-2004, 05:11 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Somebody is full of it! 50 MPH? You must sell on eBay! Too bad you're not here in the U.S., I'd challenge you!
Old 03-11-2004, 05:35 PM
pro27

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Somebody is full of it! 50 MPH? You must sell on eBay! Too bad you're not here in the U.S., I'd challenge you!
We'll all be lining up behind you Ron.........

I bet if I put one of them on a 2x4 it would be as fast.....lol
Old 03-11-2004, 06:31 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Ya know ... with the conversion of Kph to Mph . maybe he meant Kilometers ? That would come to roughly 31 MPH ...
( a LOT more realistic )
Old 03-13-2004, 01:30 AM
speeedfreek

Ok guys,mabey when i said 50 mph,let me tell you sure did seem like it,but i will tell you this , since had so many reply's did have a freind radared the speed of boat,so i was off alittle but was still clocking 42mph 43mph beats 31mph and who ever said wish i was in USA,i am, Ron Olson any time you wana run look me up L.B.I,NJ
thats if ya even have a boat,lol
Old 03-13-2004, 02:18 AM
Loxx

Let me tell you Ron. I was presant when lethal3 was running his Miss Bud boat, AND IT DOES ABOUT 50 MPH!! It's sick the up grades that was put into this boat are just what the doctor ordered. I'm sure that it will beat alot of the other boats on the market! If this is unbelevable to you come on down to south Jersey and check it out for yourself and well se who's full of what!

Sounds like you should take some pointers.
Old 03-13-2004, 03:31 PM
pa_28r_200
My Feedback: (3)

Okay boys, lemme tell ya..I was a liitle put off by yhe number of negative posts about this boat, albeit, I found them AFTER a buddy and I had purchased two of them this week...but after changing the prop, I gotta say, with a PROPER launch...this little guy hauls izzass.....no complaints here...I'd buy another....

Bruce

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.