Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

K&B 35

Old 01-16-2004, 03:57 PM
donpstew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&B 35

I have a K&B 35 outboard and I would like to get any info on this particular engine. I have not had any luck trying to get this thing to run properly and have been told that this engine will not idle, but to put it in the water when its runing. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks, Don
Old 01-17-2004, 10:14 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: K&B 35

So what's the problem? Set the high speed needle at arund 3-1/2 turns out then raise the revs up a little before you launch it. The motor isn't made to idle in the water, you have to keep a certain amount of speed up when running it.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:26 PM
Will Sgarlat

Hi Don,
I'm not sure if it's due to my particular setup, but my K&B 3.4 outboard has to be blubbery rich when out of the water. The engine is a stock 3.5 with 13 mm crank and black carb, mounted on a wooden Dumas Sprint, with an Octura x440 3-blade prop.
After a nice underhand toss into the water it promptly moves out and screams. If I lean the mixture out, I can hear the revs begin to drop after 20 to 30 feet into the straight.
I like to keep it a bit rich so it stays well lubricated and so I can prolong the engine's useful life.
Keep tweaking it, starting from too rich to reach peak rpm in the straight to when the r's begin to drop, then richen it.
Good luck
Will
Old 01-27-2004, 01:34 AM
bill heacock

Try an X440 2 blade, also try dropping one prop size. If the sprint is a tunnel use 1400 series props, they are lifting props, x props are generally for monos.

Bill Hreacock
Old 01-27-2004, 09:30 PM
Will Sgarlat

Thanks Bill!
I thought my setup was just great and I'm very happy with it. But since I don't compete, I don't have other class boats to compare mine to. I'll try a 1400 series lifting prop, maybe it will go even faster!
Regards,
Will
Old 01-31-2004, 08:41 PM
A1RENCH

donpstew, check the needvalve to be sure it's not bent. I had a K&B outboard some years ago
that I bought new, and it ran like doo-doo. After several weeks of cussin-n-fussin, a friend of mine came in from out of town, who has a considerable amount of outboard experience, and checked things out. After about 2 minutes of fool'in with it, he unscrewed the needle valve, and the tip was BENT! The needle valve had never been out of the motor until then. So obviously it was goofed-up from the factory. The motor ran great with a new needle valve.
Best wishes,
Bud
Old 02-10-2004, 06:36 PM
rcnutman
My Feedback: (22)

I had a 3.5 on my prather lap cat-1. I was very impressed with it!!!!!!!
The motor stared great and ran great. It is very high porformance so it may
idle a little tough. i had to get the rpms up a little and wing it to the water duck
coming in for a landing. And it most deffinatly liked to be kept at 1/4 throttle.
Good luck