Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Should I buy kit or rtr?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Should I buy kit or rtr?

Old 02-07-2004, 04:29 PM
drivercrazy23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy kit or rtr?

I want a hydro boat. Im thinking about getting the miss budwieser boat that is rtr nitro. but I kinda also want to get a electric hydro. I've found a Hydro&marine hydro that I can get running for bout the same price as the rtr boat. But heres the thing, i've never owned a boat never ran a boat so I wouldnt know much about assembleing it and everything. So what do you guys think I should get. And if I do get the rtr what are some good tips on making it faster or turning better? Thanks
Old 02-07-2004, 04:31 PM
GEO-oNe

Default RE: Should I buy kit or rtr?

ORIGINAL: drivercrazy23

i've never owned a boat never ran a boat so I wouldnt know much about assembleing it
rtr
Old 02-07-2004, 04:39 PM
ibuildstuff

ima say buy everything and build it yourself.. theres only way way we all figured it out, and that was trial and error and doing it yourself... if ya by the rtr kit, then youll be on the water faster, but if ya dont, youll get to build it and itll be worth a whole lot more to you than just any old rtr kit.. You have the power of the internet to find out the help you want, and the info you need to make boating a safe, enjoyable experiance.

the whistles go WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Thats for GEO-oNe

Jesse
Old 02-07-2004, 04:40 PM
GEO-oNe

i know that speed is important but id rather have something that goes than have something that is SUPPOSED to go because you screwed up (no offense) my friend did this with a car he got a kit that was the nicest one but he misassembles it and accadently cut a line and also just messed up, totally screwed up assembly so he had to sell parts and got 170 for a 500 kit
Old 02-07-2004, 07:52 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I see this question a lot, at least once a month on this site or others. With 122 postings you are not a complete rookie (I hope), but the Miss Bud is not a boat for a Beginner to R/C boats. Like most RTF's, they do have their faults. Most get frustrated because they don't know how to launch this boat or want to play around with it like going slow and making left hand turns, two things that this boat doesn't do well. It can bum you out with problems like the radio box that leaks and the poor reciever switch mount that doesn't like water either. Pro Boat sells a lot of these because of the "Gee-whiz, it's a Miss Bud" factor and it's looks not knowing what they are getting into. Hydros are different animals than say a mono or tunnel hull boat so it is better to start off with one of these first to get used to what boats do and how changes affect them.
Work on the basics first before you go to trying to make a boat go faster. BTW, the Miss Bud isn't really upgradable. If you really have your heart set on one, it's up to you.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:12 PM
drivercrazy23

what do you sugjest is a good boat to get to start with?
Old 02-07-2004, 10:10 PM
pilothyer

I think you would have your best luck with a quality tunnel hull with an outboard engine, I say this because they can be fairly simple to set up and operate....You don't have to go out and buy a full out racer like a LeeCraft or HTB, but you can shop Ebay and ask a lot of questions before you buy anything.........I can personaly recommend you stay away from the Pro Boat Miss Budweise .........Total Piece of ........well sugar is sweeter..........
Old 02-07-2004, 11:08 PM
kirk89

id say rtr
last review i read for the miss budweiser rtr said the only thing found weird was some conedsation inside the radio box which was easily fixed and its easy to learn about a rtr boat just buy looking at it closely and doing regular maintnace(tightening screws etc.)
Old 02-08-2004, 02:04 AM
pro27

Alot depends on how long you want to stick with it and how much time you want to invest. A RTR will get you going quickly and give you an impression of what a boat is like at a pretty reasonable cost. Looking it over and doing routine maintenance on it gives you an idea of what needs to be done and you become familiar with it.

If you still think rc boats are just the coolest thing around (which many of us do) invest your time and $$ into a kit and all that is needed to get it running.

I agree with Ron that the Miss Bud is not the way to go for a first boat. There are others out there that would be more forgiving and just as much fun.
A few to think about would be the CEN Aqua Jet, Aquacraft Nitro Hammer or Kyosho Airstreak.
I agree that most RTR's have their associated problems and drawbacks, but the fixes are usually easy and cheap to get a more reliable boat. Plus, there is always answers right here......
Old 02-08-2004, 11:15 AM
GEO-oNe

ORIGINAL: ibuildstuff

the whistles go WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Thats for GEO-oNe

Jesse
dude ur awesome u know about bubb rubb also?
Old 02-08-2004, 11:53 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the right setup a tunnel will be a fun boat for you, but if you have a tunnel with weak servos, then you have problems turning , and spining out or hooking. Then with the wrong engine trim position, then you have a blow over. For a good beginer boat IMO, get a Mono. The mono hull is the most forgiven. Let us know if your wanting a boat to just go and play in the park with, or if your looking to get into maybe racing.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:48 PM
drivercrazy23

Im wanting to get something that will most likely be in a park running by itself. I have a friend with a outrigger and I wnat something that can bet it. Its a outboard outrigger with electric motor. I want to get something that is easy to assemble and everything. I've been thinking about getting a aeromarine titan (29"hull) and then get all the right hardware for it and run on just a 05 motor, im on a budget so thats about all I can afford. I have like the radio esc and everything. Im also thinking about getting a larger boat and putting a jet drive on it and running like that. Would making a boat jet drive hard? I think it would be fairly easy, I have a friend that knows how to use the fiberglass stuff so I could make a good cowl or w/e for the water to come in to the drive. If I do get it then I want to get like a large boat that wouldnt go fast but it would just look real cool. If I go with the biger boat I dont really care about speed until I get more money. Does anybody know were I can find good used boats that are still cheap? I dont want to spend much over 300. Thanks
Old 02-08-2004, 08:38 PM
ibuildstuff

well, the way ya goin, and with the titan, you are not gonna beat a rigger, for under 300 bux.. and if ya wanna go electric.. ya gotta get a whole bunch of other things to boot.. hull, hardware, prop, cells, chargers, radio's, servo.... my suggestion is to get yourself some plans for a outrigger, and build yourself an electric outrigger.. you want under 300 bux, to build the outrigger itself its going to cost you NO MORE than 20 bux.. thats lincuding the thin/thick CA glue to build it. i have a few plans if your intereested in a rigger type boat.. altho they are a bit harder to drive than a VEE, but youll get the speeds outta it.

Geo, day jus fo dekurashuns thas all mang.... thas only in da mohnin, you suppose to be up cookin or sumfin whoop whoop hehehehehe...

Jesse
Old 02-08-2004, 09:54 PM
drivercrazy23

no the outrigger my friend has has a kyosho dolphin outboard motor in it and is kinda a poorly built boat. I have thought about a outrigger but not sure I wold like the plans though thanks. email them to [email protected] I have all the other stuff except the motor and hardware and hull. I have the batteries the charger I have alot of 12cell batteries that i use in my planes and the charger to go with it. I just got a kyosho wavemaster boat hull today that Im thinking about getting running. Would it be good? also what do I use for outboard? the dolphin drive or what?Thanks
Old 02-08-2004, 10:51 PM
ibuildstuff

outboards are a bit tricky.. best bet is to go with a inboard setup.. much eaiser to setup CG wise.. and would make for a better running boat.. outboards are more commonly used on a boat that would ride on a pad of air.. IE. a tunnel hull... due to all the weight beyond the runnin surface/ride area of the hull. If ya did a inboard setup i think you woul dlike that alot more.. Fullers has a hull that runs about 100 bux, that would work great for what your lookin to do, its called a "el lobo"

http://www.drcwebservices.com/ffe/boats.htm

Check them out

Jesse.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:55 PM
drivercrazy23

but, I already have a tunnel hull I just got for free that I want to make work. what should I buy? Thanks
Old 02-08-2004, 11:00 PM
ibuildstuff

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/forsale_motors.htm

go down where it says

Graupner GTX-800 Outboard with Graupner 820bb Turbo Race Motor.

That would be your motor.. 820bb outboard..

There ya go.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:04 PM
drivercrazy23

k thanks would it mount right up? will I have to make any supports or anything for it? thanks
Old 02-08-2004, 11:19 PM
ibuildstuff

it bolts right to the transom.. depending on how you wanted it to ride.. you may want to build a standoff...

Jesse
Old 02-09-2004, 08:33 PM
drivercrazy23

whats a standoff? sorry new to the tunnel hull boats so I dont know much. thanks
Old 02-10-2004, 06:11 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Kirk89, if you ever notice where you saw that review ion the Miss Bud and then look at the other reviews, they never say that a boat is a P.O.S. otherwise it would scare off the advertisers.
Drivercrazy, what your buddy has is a tunnel hull boat, not an outirgger. These are 2 different animals. You'll learn the language, I still am after all these years.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:24 PM
drivercrazy23

no he does have a out rigger I know igzactly what a tunnel hull is and a outrigger. but him being a DA wanted it to be a outrigger so he put the outrigger from the wavemaster on it and runs it like that. I have the tunnel hull and he has the outrigger.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:40 AM
pro27

ORIGINAL: drivercrazy23

so he put the outrigger from the wavemaster on it and runs it like that.
Correct terminology needs to be used..... I am assuming what you meant is...so he put the OUTBOARD from the Wavemaster on it.....

Regardless, it would be very difficult to get a tunnel hull to perform as fast as an outrigger, even with the 800 OB that was suggested (at least not with an electric) the performance is just not comparable.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:32 PM
drivercrazy23

ok sorry w/e I was typing at school and didnt have time to go over and see if I had missed little words. I think I can get the boat to go faster, being since his outrigger goes a whole 15mph. He does not know how to build and design a outrigger so he just guessed and it turned out pretty bad. I think/know I can get this tunnel hull to go faster then that, Im not sure about the handling as much but Im pretty sure I can get it to be competative.