Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

fast twin engine

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

fast twin engine

Old 02-19-2004, 10:42 AM
NjNitroMan18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fast twin engine

i need some help i've been searching all over and i can only find a couple twin engine nitro boats. Everyone says their a pain in the ***** but i realy want to make a lagoon rocket. i want to mount two K&B .91 supercharged engines in it, each is puttin out between 6.6-7.2 hp ( still workin on controling boost levels) and run at 27000rpm so it will have to be able to withstand some power. Ive heard of people talking about custom built boats where would you find these ? in my area we realiy dont have much in nitro hobbys so i realy have to relie online. Does anyone know what the nitro RC boat speed record is? If anyone can help me out with anything ideas whatever i'm open to your thoughts thank u
Old 02-19-2004, 09:20 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: fast twin engine

F class; ANDY BROWN 1.866 seconds 120.579mph 11/19/01 1/16 mile SAW. Yes you be putting the HP to her, but with the right hull, and just one of your engines vrs. the right hull with the twin set-up you will not be looking at much difference in speed. Some may think twice the engine twice the speed, I wish but does not work like that. The twins are something else to watch run and they sound awesome. I wish you success.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:25 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Hal has that right! People trying to set the records for years tried all kinds of setups, most thought that bigger was faster. Nitro is more efficient in smaller engines so that is why the 100 MPH barrier was broken along with the current R/C boat speed records. Generally I tell people that if you don't already know where to get the stuff for a twin powered boat, you're not ready for one yet. They are cool when they're dialed in but a Royal headache for those that don't have the experience. Yep, I don't have any either and don't plan on it.
BTW, K&B's aren't the way to go. MAC motors are the ones with the records. What's this about Superchargers? What type of hull do you want to mount these monsters into?
Old 02-21-2004, 08:59 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Well , exactly like the two gentlemen above stated ... twins will not get your more speed ( they DO sound AWSOME as heck though ! ) .
I , personally DO own a twin Zenoah Systems cat ( sorry , no nitro , but a big gasser )
Also , remember , twice the drives , twice the hardware , twice the servo's , twice the props ( and it can take a LOT of different props to find the best ones ) , and twice the time in tuning her in ( actually more like ten times the amount of time to tune them in ) And even thought the motors might be the same , tuning in the pipes is a whole nother story
I was told that you tune one engine at a time . Well ....... I can ALSO tell you , that will ONLY get you in the ballpark . They will BOTH be off from each other and will STILL require a LOT more tuning ! Why ? Well , the engine that is not running up to par while running in the water , will give you drag by not keeping up and when you get it tuned out right - you WILL know !
Are they fun ? You betcha !
Are they faster ? Nope ... not at all .
Will they turn a LOT of heads ? Oh yeah !
Old 02-21-2004, 01:01 PM
NjNitroMan18

thanks for your help i realy want to do the twin engine cause i like to have something different than everybody else. Like the superchargers their different. The super chargers are basicly a RB supercharger desigine but my uncle owns a machine shop so i had him take that designe and just make it on a bigger scale and i coustom designed a new turbine. i'm trying to find someway i can test the air output at certain rpms so i can realy dial it in, right now ive just been playing with different gears and its a real pain in the ***** just caint seem to get it right. I wanted to make a hydro but caint see how i could set up twins theirs not that much room. i was thinking of just gettin for now a 56" Apache Deep Vee from http://www.aeromarinerc.com/. just so i can set up the engines and kind of use it as a test boat till i find something i like BBY makes a carbon fiber hull they say is pritty good for racing i'm just gettin into the boats realy i'm more of a car head. I also had an idea i'm trying to do with a tiny nitrousoxide bottle directly fited to the supercharger's auxiliary input, controled by a small servo. like i said i'm always about doin something different and that is where i want to take this boat. If this works i plann on building alot of these superchargers and nitrous systems and selling them online. the supercharger gave about 40-45% hp increase and i'm hoping the nitrous will giv it another 1 to 2 hp at the flip of a switch but i reali dont know if it will even do anything no clue still in the building
Old 02-21-2004, 01:29 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

The NOS idea , I already tried , and let me tell you what happened from my experience .
You have ZERO throttle control until the NOS is gone ( which takes longer than I liked ) and oyu BETTER have a BIG area to run in . And about the bottle thingy ... think WHIP CREAM CHARGERS .... ( )
And , about the twin setup - a mono is not one of the best to "try" out with twins . Try and get yourself a cat , or anything , other than a mono . ( unless you planned on countering the motors , which I'm not gonna get into here )
And the servo control for the solenoid for the NOS injection ... could you explain how you would do this ? In short , I used a solenoid wired to a mosfet which in turn was wired to the Rx . ( along with a few other items ... but thats a loooooonnnngggg story ) which would allow the solenoid to open with a controlled flow rather than either open or closed .
What size jet were you gonna use also ? ( reason I am asking , is maybe your ideas are better than what I did and would love to hear your plans . )
Old 02-21-2004, 01:58 PM
ibuildstuff

A few years ago, i used to race GoPeds.. loved it, and one day i woke up and was kinda like.. well lets try somthing else.. and really never rode one again.. well the engine i had on the goped was a 2nd gen Zenoah G2D, fully modded, MSD Ignition, Holley Nitrous kit, lightweight everything (not that it made much of a difference with my lardass on it.) Anyways, off the bottle it would run around 40 mph, on the bottle it would push close to 47-48, and was a DEFINATE increase in torque, rpm and speed. In a boat it would work, with a 3rd channel, but i wouldnt reccomend doing it if you do not know how nitrous works, and if you dont have the setup for it.. you need a rev limiter (the msd unit has one integrated along with a 50 degree timing width, 25 advance 25 retard) If ya boat decideds to hop outta the water, your motor is gonna be toast if ya on the juice.. But the nitrous on a little motor isnt the best thing, and id hope your prepaired to do a rebuild after 2 or 3 runs on the juice..

Jesse.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:46 PM
BajaBob-delete

Problem with bottle fed engines is the joy doesn't last long enough,it realy only teases you and I hate that.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:35 AM
tsunami

get a gas hydro and counter rotate the engines. get the blowers set and THEN TRY THE NITROUS AFTER YOU GET THOSE RUNNING RIGHT this way less of a problem and as said befor edont unload the props,and even without the nitrous dont do it be couse youll blow up you engine with a lean condition,or(if your one lucky bastered)youll stall one or both engines (one being a very bad thing on a high speed pass)

on another note when you get the blowers working and you make a few of em pm me so i can get a couple so i can have some fun too.