Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Radio Box Tape

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Radio Box Tape

Old 02-24-2004, 04:00 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio Box Tape

Does anyone know the specific type of tape that is used to seal radio box covers. So far I've determined that it's a 3M product, clear and somewhat flexable, water resistant and it doesn't leave residue when it's removed.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:35 PM
ibuildstuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Radio Box Tape

i know of a tape that works better than what everyone is selling... www.aerotechinc.com its called Flashtape I Its a light blue color, super sticky, and waterproof.. great stuff

Jesse
Old 02-25-2004, 10:12 AM
KamPuiWong

PRATHER has this kind of radio box tape.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:33 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I go to Major Dept. or Home Improvement stores and get the tape used for sealing windows from drafts in the Winter. Easy to find if you live in the Northern climes. It is about half the price of Hobby Shop tape. I've heard of using Hockey stick tape also. I tried some of that and was disappointed but the roll that I got looked pretty old.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:42 AM
Square Nozzle

Ron, thanks for the input. I have never used tape before. My radio boxes were always built with a silicone seal with the cover held down with #4 cap head machine screws. The latest A mono I built has a very busy radio box cover in the it's a "U" shape so I can get the tuned pipe out over the box with a "channel" built into the top of the box. I never trusted tape but this time it's almost a necessity. I've heard others that had poor results with hockey stick tape. The weather seal tape is a good thought. I've not seem narrow widths. I assume you cut it in half, lengthwise to get the desired 3/4" to 1" width. Does it tend to pull paint off? How about leaving tape residue? I'm with you on the cost of the "Hobby Industry" tape. There is no way I will pay $10 for a role of commercially available relabeled tape. There has to be a better way. That's coming from someone that used to make his own cool clamps for converted airplane racing engines (ST .19's, ST X40's, Taipan .21 etc). Yes, I've been at this game for a few years.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:50 AM
Square Nozzle

Jesse, thanks for the input. I believe I've seen the tape you are refering to. The mechanics in our shop use a transperent blue tape to protect areas on the F119 engine exhaust nozzle while it's being assembled. It's sticky, waterproof and rather "stretchy" and doesn't leave adhesive residue. My trouble with that tape is the color. I typically paint my boats with a base color of white epoxy. The blue will stand out. I'm a real PITA when it comes to esthetics. Maybe I should switch to light blue base colors.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:20 AM
ibuildstuff

well the radio box is inside of your boat, not outside... and its about 3/4 inch wide, plenty enough to seal/hold the lid to the radiobox.. and if your exhuast is going over the radiobox, then its pretty much hidden

Jesse
Old 02-27-2004, 01:03 PM
Square Nozzle

Jesse, the boat is a "Wild Thing" built from plans I got from R/C Boat Modeler a few years back. I'm a slow builder. The radio box is built into the structure of the boat and the box cover is part of the deck. The tape will adhere to the cover and the deck. With an 'A' size boat, weight is a concern so I don't make a separate box to fit into the boat. I know that the fiberglass hulls are typically designed for a separate box. I prefer not to do that.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:17 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've found 2 different widths of the window sealing tape. I bought 2 rolls and slit them down the center with an X-acto knife. This was made easier for me because the Manufacturer had already made a mark in it where it would fold at the intersection. I did find some at Walgreen's in the tool section and got a bunch of that but the one near me doesn't carry it any more. Too bad, it was half the price of the LHS.