Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

nitro hammer or wicked angel?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

nitro hammer or wicked angel?

Old 02-24-2004, 09:12 PM
Idunno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro hammer or wicked angel?

which is the better boat? I'm looking to get into nitro boating and want a fast one. I have on and off road nitro vehicles. any info is appreciated.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:08 AM
KamPuiWong

Default RE: nitro hammer or wicked angel?

I would voted for nitro hammer.

Nitro hammer has a fibre glass hull.

Wicked angel :

The hull of Wicked angel is ABS and is very easy to crack.

The clutch is easy to slip if water or oil goes in.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:03 PM
Idunno

Come on, no one else has an opinion on this matter. I find that very hard to believe with all the opinionated people out there.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:56 AM
KamPuiWong

There are tons of information for both boats on the following link:

http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/foru...s=&forumid=287

Use the "SEARCH" function to search the information for both boats
Old 02-26-2004, 03:12 PM
mayor greez

[8D] Greetings, Nitro Hammer would get my vote as well. Only reason being that I have a couple and really have a blast with them.

The only Megatech boat I've ever run was their little H2O and it didn't perform very well at all, but that's really comparing apples and oranges...

Good luck and great boating!
-The Mayor
Old 02-26-2004, 04:27 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't come into this site much, but here's my vote. NITRO HAMMER! Much better all the way around. Glass hull, easy to tune engine, fast for a first boat or for someone with experience for messing around with. Down side for it is to check the prop as soon as you open the box, they have been known to be broken. The rudder was a weak spot also but the Factory has taken care of this problem otherwise they will send you a new updated one free if you get one of the older ones.
Wicked Angel, fickle carb, the clutch doesn't work well with grease found in a lot of them plus the other complaints that were posted above. Lots of gripes about the cracking hulls around the motor mount.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:10 PM
Idunno

Thanks for you thoughts everyone, I was committed to the hammer from the get go, but a friend was considering the angel. I know all the prob's of the hammer. Just want to make sure i like it before i get a bog boat.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:19 PM
chmath159

[8D]

I must also vote for the Nitro Hammer...I have had one for about 2 months and it was the very easy to break in and tune ...I had it clocked at 35mph...I too had a problem with the rudder and prop but when I contacted the Hobbico support the VERY promptly sent out the replacements....Which took around 4-5 days to receive...Which really didn't matter due to the weather was bad...I did upgrade the prop to an Octura X435 that was balanced and sharpened but found that the stock prop was better for top speed....After a little tuning and adj. here and there I am Very pleased with it's performance....I am thinking about upgrading the engine to the megatech M16 but not sure what if any mods will have to be done or if it is going to be a simple engine swap...
Old 02-28-2004, 09:03 PM
addicted2rc9
My Feedback: (4)

I recently purchased a Nitro Hammer and it too had the "Broken prop syndrome" which the readily replaced. As I got it in the dead of winter I haven't had a chance to run it yet so the rudder hasn't been a problem. Now I am reading about an upgraded rudder assy. How do I know if I have the old or new version. Thanks in advance for all your help. Also I too considered the Wicked Angel but after seeing this boat I'm very happy with my choice, good quality boat.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:09 PM
Ron Olson

Putting in a Megatech is not an upgrade! It's like saying I'm going to upgrade to a headache because I don't have one. Spend your money on tweaking what you already have.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:34 PM
chmath159

Ron what do you mean??Would it not be worth it to putting in the M16 engine???
What would be a good motor to go with for more power and speed???

Thanks for feedback
Old 02-29-2004, 05:53 AM
Ron Olson

From reading about it on various sites, they're not a good motor. The carb is the big pain on it.
Right now there isn't a big selection of high output water-cooled motors on the market. We don't have a the options that the car and truck guys do. The worst part is that if you would want to race in competition, there are no classes available at this time for 90% of these boats in the .15-.18 size. The IMPBA does have an "ABS" class that has a .16 limit, pull start only and no tuned pipes and of course, it has to be a plastic hulled boat.