Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Nitro Vee wet electronics

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Nitro Vee wet electronics

Old 03-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Zylar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Vee wet electronics

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to keep my Nitro Vee from getting the electronics wet? It seems after we run the boat for a short time the servos get wet and we lose control of the steering. Do we need to seal the hull or use some type of water barrier on the electronics?
Old 03-07-2004, 01:41 PM
evlwevl-RCU

Default RE: Nitro Vee wet electronics

I have had this problem with mine for some time. Heres what I did to mine. Wrap your servos and reciever in balloons. You'll want to put the balloon opening where the wire leads exit from and put your servo horn on again over the ballon to keep from getting the water at the top of the gear. It's a little tough to wrap them buy if you have the right size of balloon you can do it. Then I hot glue any exposed wiring like where the wire nuts and then put everything back to gether by just screwing the servos right through the ballon into the mounting deck. Even with all of this, it just takes one or two spinouts before water has filled the hull but I usually bring the boat around and dump the water out from the back every few minutes to keep things dry. This system seems to be the best route outside of a radio box which would complicate things being that there isnt much room in the hull. Good Luck
Old 03-07-2004, 03:30 PM
fryfrog
My Feedback: (1)

You could also consider installing an auto-bailer and I have read in the forums that you can use some type of di-lectric (doesn't conduct electricty) grease or sealant and seal your servos very well. I imagine that horn installed over a ballon onto the turning part of the servo would rip fairly quickly.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:52 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I use Aeroplate made by Aerotrend Products. Most Hobby Shops can get it even though they probably don't have a clue to what it is. Corrosion X is available from www.rossisales.com and other online shops. Take apart the servos and reciever, just unscrew the bottom of the servos, put a couple of squirts in there, put them back together and that's it! Reapply about every 6 months. I've had radio boxes fill up with water, drained them out and went back out with no problems. These products are cheaper than a bottom-of-the-line servo.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:52 AM
bill heacock

Radio boxes. Can't imagine building a boat without a radio box for the electronics [X(][X(][X(][X(][X(]
Old 03-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Ron Olson

I agree Bill. There are a lot of RTF boats out there that have no radio boxes at all. I see over at Jim's RCBD that some of the Gas boaters are using tiny ones for battery packs and recievers but are leaving the servos exposed but waterproofed with one of the products mentioned. They are more daring than you and me.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:32 PM
asmithnc

A cheap way too go is to use 25cent zip lock container. It has worked for me
Old 03-09-2004, 02:14 PM
bill heacock

Ron,

Don't know why, but I am seeing more of that than in the past, with the nitro racers, nuts to me. Spend too much $ on these boats and electronics to trash one because of a servo mounted out of the box. I see no benefit to it. How that one goes, " Different folks different strokes"?

Bill
Old 03-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Ron Olson

If you want cheap, I bought a box of disposable baby bottle liners. Cut to size, I snip mine off at the 6 oz. mark then zip-tie them closed for my recievers even though they are going into a radio box and have been treated with Aeroplate.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:52 PM
hb

same problem take some silicone and seal all of the electronics haven't had a problem since
Old 03-31-2004, 09:19 PM
Ron Olson

You have to watch some of the silicone sealers that you use. If it has an ammonia scent to it, don't use it as it will corrode the electronics