Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Tunnels

Old 04-04-2004, 11:27 AM
Wully
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tunnels

Just starting out in R/C. Ran full scale tunnels years ago. My neighbor has introduced me into the plane scene and that's cool, but my heart is in boats. Looking for a good performing tunnel that will run about 30-40mph. Looked at some Dumas and Prather hulls. Does anyone recommend one over the other, or even a better hull than these.
wully
Old 04-04-2004, 11:39 AM
ooooo

Default RE: Tunnels

The are both good hulls...it's your preference. You may want to look at the TT Falcon 3.5cc. It does about 30+ mph and solid. If you buy it...the ABS transom is weak...strengthen with fiber glass...strap on your engine and go have fun. It's an outboard engine which is easier to get at and tweak for max performance.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Wully

Thanks for the reply Kaz. Who makes the Falcon?
Old 04-04-2004, 01:52 PM
yamraptor2cool

Thunder Tiger.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:09 PM
Wully

Thanks,
wully
Old 04-05-2004, 12:46 AM
[email protected]

If your looking at Dumas and Prather the Falconis way off. The Prather is the better of the two but if your gonna go all out the LeeCraft is the best. The HTB and the Villain are great as well.

I just bought a 3.5 Magnum, very nice and light but expensive about $260 for hull, radio box and shipping.

What size of motor are you gonna use 3.5 or 7.5??
Old 04-05-2004, 07:47 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Rod, I can't believe that you prefer the Prather over the Dumas! The Prather is really outdated, so is the Dumas but I'd prefer that over the Prather. Cheaper, lighter, less hassle building, it doesn't need that turn fin on the CG, no pinholes to fill. Yes, the Dumas kit is old but still winning races. The Falcon, one of the worst ones ever made. A tunnel that needs trim tabs and a turn fin must have some serious handling issues.
Being that you are a former tunnel boat racer, look at the sponsons and other parts of the hulls to help you make your choice.
PropTwister, join up over at www.intlwaters.com , Rod and I are both members there. It has to be THE site for tunnel boaters.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:48 AM
47sportmaxx

ive got an dumus fiber glass with a 7.5 it goes like 60 it rocks check out dumus tunnel boat pricing i could probobly go lower[8D]
Old 04-24-2004, 08:51 AM
dirt dummy

Check out Aeromarine. [link]http://www.aeromarinerc.com/tunnels.htm[/link]
Old 04-26-2004, 05:22 PM
Ron Olson

Another one worth taking a look at, www.htbboats.com .
Old 04-27-2004, 07:53 AM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are living in the dark ages. Dumas, Prather have been around since I started boating in the 1970's. I'm not a buy it ready to run or a fiberglass hull fan, wouldn't even consider one of those plastic hull "toys" but at least Aeromarine keeps up with the times. Another point to bring up. Why is it that every new boater wants buy the fastest boat on the water (Outrigger, tunnel etc). Why not guide them into a nice 40 or 60 size Mono hull. Start out with a boat that will at least provide some enjoyment before they advance to faster boats with the accompanying set up issues? I always advocate getting involved with a club where the new guy can get some guidance from experienced boaters. Can't be much fun running around in random orbits by yourself. Check out the NAMBA or IMPBA web sites and see whats happening in your area. Go visit a club.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:09 AM
Ron Olson

John, the guy wants a tunnel boat seeing how he used to race the full-sized versions. I've had tunnels myself and I think that they are a great way to get started. I run mostly monos now but there is a hard-core bunch of tunnel boat racers out there. The Hopper boats, Leecraft's and Mike Zobarowski's tunnels are close to state-of-the art, especially Mike's soon to be coming out new kit.
I haven't been to a race yet where there isn't always a lot of the 3.5 tunnels boats in competition. He is not looking for the fastest boat on the water at this point and time, 30-40 MPH is easy to attain with any of the above stated.
I'm old enough also to remember the birth of the K&B outboard and the boats that they mounted them on from the Hot Shot 21, the Midwest Klampon Kai and Hughey boats. Those things were horrible handling creatures compared to today's boats.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:00 AM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron, what you say has merit. I just don't want to see a potential boater fall by the wayside due to frustration with setting up a boat. I know tunnels can be a bear to set up, not to mention the frequent blow overs if he gets it to loose. I'd like to see him get involved with a club where he can get a lot of help - provided they have O/B Tunnel experience. We don't see a lot of outboard tunnels in the North East anymore. They have kinda faded in favor of inboard nitro and gas tunnels.

I see a lot of stuff on this site that bothers me. Especially talk about running in areas with full size boats in the area. Running sites are scarce as it is. An encounter between a model and a full size will further reduce model boat race sites. Picture a full size boat with family aboard. The modeler always looses. Another reason that I promote involvement with a NAMBA or IMPBA club.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:34 PM
Ron Olson

I wholeheartedly agree with you on your second paragraph. I have seen (and have it on videotape!) an incident where a Gas 'rigger went WAY too wide on a rcaecourse and went through a flock of ducks, severely injuring at least 2 ducks. The Host club was watching out for every piece of driftwood that may have gotten onto the course but after I personally yelled at the CD about the wildlife closing in, they still let the race continue. What did they get out of this act of stupidity? Calls to the City Police, Sheriff's Dept. and the DNR which resulted in over $1,000.00 in fines!
Not running around full-sized boats is a good idea always. Even Chris Chianelli advocated this on his show, Radio Control Hobbies on the DIY Channel when trying out the Warehouse Hobbies Enforcer. What did he do on the show less than 3 minutes later? Yup, they were wave-jumping behind a full-sized boat! He can spew out advice but it seems that he can't practice it.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:52 PM
dirt dummy

Why not guide them into a nice 40 or 60 size Mono hull.

[Edited because we don't use that word on this site!]
Old 05-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Nitro boater

www.youngzrcbiats.com
Old 05-23-2008, 10:51 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Nitro boater

www.youngzrcbiats.com
You dug up a dead for 4 year thread to post an invalid link? [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 05-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Ron Olson

Gotta give him a little credit Chuck, some people can't look beyond page one or use the site search!
Old 05-23-2008, 02:03 PM
Grimracer

lol.. that was an old one..

Grim
Old 05-23-2008, 04:23 PM
jdoug

Jon and Ron - While I tend to agree with most of what you guys are talking about, I have no way around it. My area will not allow RC models of any kind in the parks. Some kid was seen "chasing the ducks" with his RC boat and the city outlawed all RC in the parks. That was years ago, and from what I've been told, no one around runs boats anymore. Except me. I go to the lake and run my boats. I have to pull in sometimes with WT 18. to avoid being swamped by the wakeboard boats who always seem to run right along the bank.

OK back on topic...What about the Top Speed hulls. I was considering one for myself as I have a K&B 3.5 ready to go onto something. It is either that or build a 3.5 W.O.F.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Ron Olson

They complain about some idiot kid as an isolated incident but don't say a word about morons on PWC's or drunk out of their gourd full-sized boaters.

The TS 2 would be a great boat if you can find one.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:46 PM
ozbryan

I wouldnt touch a dumas, prather, bandit or a fllcon. Thes ehulls are all OLD or CRAP!

If you used to race a real tunnel your going to understand that these boats are old technology or they are just no good!

Trust me buy your self a good boat. A TS2 is a great boat they have their problems but generally handle well. HTB is a boat you just cant go past they are awesome!

As for a motor bang for buck is the OS. K&B too old, they still go but. Thunder Tigers well they need some work to get moving and they are heavy!
Id go the OS as the leg is the best you can get at the moment. TS2 and OS with a 440 prop will get you to around 40mph. Run good nitro 50% and youll be laughing. once the motors run in remove the head shim you get more power. and most importantly HAVE FUN!