Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Tuned pipe for deep vee

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Tuned pipe for deep vee

Old 04-08-2004, 08:41 AM
A1RENCH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuned pipe for deep vee

Hey guys. I'm looking for a tuned pipe and header for a K&B .40 inboard marine engine. It's
going in a Dumas deep vee 60. Any help would appreciated! So far I haven't had any luck looking on the internet. Hopefully I'm just not looking in the right place.
Thanks
Bud
Old 04-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tuned pipe for deep vee

Your best bet would be to look at MAC Products.
http://www.macspro.com/default.asp

Why would you want to put a tuned pipe on a K&B 40 marine? I don't believe you will see any performance improvement. If it were a .45 marine with rear rotor I'd say go for it.
Put a good muffler on it and go have fun. It will not be a record breaker but should provide you with some enjoyment.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:01 PM
A1RENCH

I was under the impression that a tuned pipe could increase the performance of any 2-stroke.
But, the biggest reason I was seeking a pipe is the stock muffler dumps exhaust in the engine compartment, in the bottom of the hull. The startinng belt does not like this arrangment, nor do I as it is quiet a mess!!
Thanks for your input,
Bud
Old 04-10-2004, 03:41 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

That big hull is going to put a load on that small motor. The .40 is only a Sport motor, not a Speed Demon by any means. The Mac setup will help as there aren't a lot of side exhaust headers around any more for that motor. You'll have to shorten the header and possibly the pipe to get it to work. Measure about 10 to 10-1/4" from the glow plug to the widest part of the tuned pipe following the header and pipe when measuring then use a coupler with about a 1/4" gap. Use a prop like an Octura X445 or X447.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:00 AM
A1RENCH

O.K. Guys here's the deal! I picked this boat up on E-bay. It's a wooden Dumas 60 W/.40 K&B marine engine. It was pretty much finished, but I had to replace the rudder bracket and put the
radio in. The engine is brand new. It has a parallel drive, but I have no idea what size prop is on it. The boat has never been wet, and don't know why it only has a .40 engine, but for $45.00, I think I got a hell of a deal!!!
Now, back to the exhaust. The motor sits in the center of the boat, and the muffler that came with it appears to be an ordinary airplane muffler. Again, the problem here is the exhaust dumps into the engine compartment, and makes a Godawful mess! I need a way to get the exhaust outta there! (Other than paper towels and alcohol!) Any suggestions would appreciated.
I knew most boats had tuned pipes, but other than a Swamp Buggy, I have no boat experience.
I fly R/C planes and have R/C trucks, and thought it might be fun to "Get wet"!
I don't really want a speed demon, atleast to start with. I sure didn't start out flying fast airplanes!
Thanks for your input,
Bud
Old 04-15-2004, 09:33 AM
fryfrog

A simple and cheap solution might be to use some high temperature exaust or heater hose and just route the exaust out. That is the method that my little JetStream nitro boat uses. About 3 inches of hose go through an approx 3/4" hole. It also dumps the head cooling water into the muffler through what would normally be the fuel pressure port. I don't know why, but it seems to work okay until that ONE time the engine stops with the exaust port uncovered
Old 04-16-2004, 07:09 AM
A1RENCH

I thought about just using a silicone coupler and some copper pipe to run the exhaust out the back. I don't know if this would cause any problems or not. The cooling water does not dump into my muffler. I thought a tuned pipe would be a neat and tidy solution, but apparently its a waste of money on this engine.
Thanks,
Bud