Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

I need some questions answered....

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

I need some questions answered....

Old 04-10-2004, 09:35 PM
Love2FlyMN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some questions answered....

I am going to be building a 40 sized outrigger. I have been doing a lot of research and i just need a few more questions answered. I don't have too much money to spend and i found out that the drive shaft and rudder assembly is kind of expensive at the hobby shop. I just need to know who sells cheap rudder and drive assembly kits or where i could get one. I also need to know what size cable i am going to need for my K & B 40 . the guy at the hobby store was showing me some and i thought that it was awful big for what i am going to use. I thought he may have been just trying to sell me the most expensive one. I would appreciate any help from anybody, Thanks!
Old 04-11-2004, 02:51 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: I need some questions answered....

First, 'riggers of any size aren't cheap, they're not a "Poor Kids" boat. Sorry for the pun.
You'll need a 3/16" flex cable. They are usually in lengths starting at 18" and go up from there. If it's too long, you have to shorten it. Figure on paying about a Dollar a foot for one with the shaft attached.
If you haven't gotten the boat yet, it may be a little out of your league for now. They are hard to set up properly and generally cantankerous.
The rest of the running gear isn't cheap. You're looking at slightly over a C-note for a halfway decent strut and rudder.
A friend of mine that manufactures several different type of boats told me about one of his 'rigger kits saying that if you have to ask how to build it, you're not ready for one. This is why his 'rigger doesn't have ANY instructions included with the kit yet is 80% prebuilt.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:16 PM
Love2FlyMN

Thanks man, I have just been reading and they say one of the cheapest boats to build are outriggers. Nobody said anything about how much the running hardware costed. I do know how to build them though, it is going to be my project for woods in school. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:37 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Actually, electric boats are one of the cheapest to build and run but you still have the same problem, the running hardware. It never seems to be cheap.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:45 PM
Love2FlyMN

I just bought a nexstar like a month ago and crashed it right away so now i am actually just going to fix up the Atlas van lines unlimited hydro that i have. I just need to get a new piston and sleeve to get some compression. I think that this motor has run me quite a bit of money.. Ah well..