Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Boat motor sizes

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Boat motor sizes

Old 04-12-2004, 10:58 PM
Love2FlyMN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat motor sizes

Would a really light boat with a .21 inboard go just as good as a heavier boat with a .40? Like, do smaller motors actually go faster than a big motor because of higher rpms? or does power really propel faster?... It's kind of vague, but i am just trying to get a rough idea of some things.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:09 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Boat motor sizes

Boy ... that IS a vague question ...
Now , if you gave specific engines , it would have been easier .
For example ... I have a Megatech -16 that I converted to marine and it does 30,000 Rpm's . Now , some motors have more R's than HP's and some just the opposite .
It all depends on the application .
I am assuming we are only referring to speed for the boat .
In which case ... the example you used , they MIGHT do the same speed , but then again , it depends on the motors . A 20 and 40 of the same manufacturer , generally will do roughly the same R's , but have more HP ( the bigger one of course )
But , you also have to realize the importance of the prop ... the RIGHT one will make yur boat kick butt , whereas the WRONG one , will move her like she has a load of poop draggin behind her ...
So .... in you want a more specific answer , you would need to give a little more specifics on the engine and boat sizes and weights .
I know this might have answered your question directly , but , IMO it too general ...
Take this IE - a rigger , setup with a 40 and a mono , setup with a 20 .... of course the rigger is gonna fly faster than the mono , even if it had the same motor and both weighed the same ( which would be almost impossibe . Then think of it in reverse ... a rigger with a 20 verses a mono with a 40 .... get the picture ? The rigger will still fly faster ( assuming both motors are from the same manufacturer and crank the same R's , or close to the same R's )
There are way too many variables left open here to give a more specific answer .
Old 04-13-2004, 06:19 PM
Love2FlyMN

Yeah, i don't really know what i am talking about.... i don;t know how to narrow it down.... ah well, i'll figure it out with the fun experimenting. THanks man...
Old 04-23-2004, 11:43 AM
47sportmaxx

ive been running a 7.5 k&b pro outboard moter it fly's it 's a little big for what u want but it rocks and yes thats pretty vague[8D]